Billy Hamilton is Runninnnnnn' - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Billy Hamilton is Runninnnnnn'

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Billy Hamilton is Runninnnnnn'

Postby kab21 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:44 am

garf112 wrote:
If Rey Ordonez can play SS in the Major Leagues and offer no offensive value and we are back to a pitching and defense dominated game, he could definitely play as long as his defense comes along. Although, supposedly, he won't have the arm to stick at short and will most likely end up at second or in center.

Snead never OPSed higher than .700 in any of his minor league seasons. Hamilton's OPS is .712 in his 247 career minor league games and at least has the ability to get extra base hits. The Ks make him a huge question mark though.


The problem is that Hamilton isn't Ordonez at SS. At best he's average defensively but probably at 2B. The other problem is that he needed a .360 BAPIP to hit .278 last year. As he moves up in the minors (and eventually the MLB) he's probably going to hit <.250 with questionable plate discipline and low power. This is not the description of an MLB'er regardless of his 100 SB's.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 5340
(Past Year: 170)
Joined: 24 Nov 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Billy Hamilton is Runninnnnnn'

Postby RedHopeful » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:31 am

kab21 wrote:The other problem is that he needed a .360 BAPIP to hit .278 last year. As he moves up in the minors (and eventually the MLB) he's probably going to hit <.250 with questionable plate discipline and low power. This is not the description of an MLB'er regardless of his 100 SB's.

Cop out answer. Since he has largely failed in one environment, he is doomed to repeat it the rest of his career. :-P

I'm not saying he'll turn things completely around but players who are fantastic athletes without much baseball experience need to be given longer leashes. It's not even known whether he'll remain a switch hitter. Lastly, he's got elite range so theoretically he could remain at SS and Cozart could be moved.

One thing is certain though, he still needs a significant amount of development time so I agree with a previous poster that he won't do anything meaningful in the majors until sometime next season at the earliest.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3275
(Past Year: 84)
Joined: 11 Jul 2007
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: Hank Aaron's backyard

Re: Billy Hamilton is Runninnnnnn'

Postby kab21 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:44 am

RedHopeful wrote:
kab21 wrote:The other problem is that he needed a .360 BAPIP to hit .278 last year. As he moves up in the minors (and eventually the MLB) he's probably going to hit <.250 with questionable plate discipline and low power. This is not the description of an MLB'er regardless of his 100 SB's.

Cop out answer. Since he has largely failed in one environment, he is doomed to repeat it the rest of his career. :-P

I'm not saying he'll turn things completely around but players who are fantastic athletes without much baseball experience need to be given longer leashes. It's not even known whether he'll remain a switch hitter. Lastly, he's got elite range so theoretically he could remain at SS and Cozart could be moved.

One thing is certain though, he still needs a significant amount of development time so I agree with a previous poster that he won't do anything meaningful in the majors until sometime next season at the earliest.


No it's not. Plate discipline is a very difficult trait to drastically improve. Combine that with a frame that likely won't bulk up and you're looking at a pretty mediocre hitter. And most scouting reports think he'll move off of SS.

Of course he could become enough of an offensive threat and stick at SS but this would be my evaluation regardless of what organization he's in. I prefer prospects that start out with solid basic hitting skills instead of picking the ones where you just hope that they improve.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 5340
(Past Year: 170)
Joined: 24 Nov 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Billy Hamilton is Runninnnnnn'

Postby abrunn11 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:11 pm

Image
abrunn11
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 453
Joined: 24 Jun 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Billy Hamilton is Runninnnnnn'

Postby interchange » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:17 pm

The Bonifacio comparison is a good one. These players are 100% speed. Their BA is based on speed + contact, ala Ichiro. You don't need good plate discipline, just good contact. They aren't great contact hitters, which is why they may hit .290 instead of .326 like Ichiro with the same approach.
Dominate is a verb. Dominant is an adjective.
interchange
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 561
Joined: 22 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Billy Hamilton is Runninnnnnn'

Postby Izenhart » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:05 pm

Billy Hamilton is pretty athletic for a guy who is 146 years old. Back in 1894 he stole 100 bases while batting .403, scored 198 runs while walking 128 times, striking out only 19.

I wouldn't mind having those stats for my fantasy team 8-o
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1611
(Past Year: 294)
Joined: 22 Mar 2012
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Big Papiville

Re: Billy Hamilton is Runninnnnnn'

Postby MinorThreat » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:14 am

Benkei wrote:in my mind, anytime a guy grabs more than 50 bags he becomes fantasy relevant no matter what,



Sincerely Eugenio Velez, Donell Nixon, Esteban German, and too many others to list.
MinorThreat
T-Ball Trainer


Posts: 4
Joined: 24 Feb 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Billy Hamilton is Runninnnnnn'

Postby Izenhart » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:53 am

With fantasy playoffs on the horizon or in some cases underway, how many of you are stashing this guy on your bench with hopes of some September action? He's got 143 stolen bases this season in the minors, shattering Vince Coleman's minor league record. I'm currently starting Mike Aviles at SS in a fairly deep league that allows for daily transactions, so I've decided to pick him up.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1611
(Past Year: 294)
Joined: 22 Mar 2012
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Big Papiville

Re: Billy Hamilton is Runninnnnnn'

Postby SpecialFNK » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:19 am

even if he gets the call in September, will he start anywhere?
Cozart has been playing well lately, hits in 8 straight games. still .252/.296/.416/.712 on the season though.
if he gets the call up in September I could see him getting some starts, but also used off the bench pinch running. someone could maybe just keep Hamilton in the SS(MI) position even if he doesn't start and hope to pick up SB that way.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 5002
(Past Year: 81)
Joined: 21 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Billy Hamilton is Runninnnnnn'

Postby NikkiSixx » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:24 am

SpecialFNK wrote:even if he gets the call in September, will he start anywhere?
Cozart has been playing well lately, hits in 8 straight games. still .252/.296/.416/.712 on the season though.
if he gets the call up in September I could see him getting some starts, but also used off the bench pinch running. someone could maybe just keep Hamilton in the SS(MI) position even if he doesn't start and hope to pick up SB that way.

Thats what I would be doing.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Response TeamPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 2587
(Past Year: 433)
Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 1st place!

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: unioreimi and 5 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Wednesday, Oct. 22
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

San Francisco at Kansas City
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact