Billy Hamilton is Runninnnnnn' - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Billy Hamilton is Runninnnnnn'

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Billy Hamilton is Runninnnnnn'

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:59 am

Billy Hunter, SS prospect for the Cinci Reds, is in Single A Dayton this year. He has a .700 OPS. Whooptie doo. He has also, however... stolen 103 bases in 135 games this season (WTF?!?!?!). Sure, he's been gunned down 20 times, but 103 SB?!

In his 247 Minor League career games, he's swiped 165 bases to 32 CS, good for a 84% success rate. :-L 5x5 fantasy players everywhere just came.
Last edited by bigh0rt on Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Billy Hunter is Runninnnnnn'

Postby Tavish » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:01 pm

Do you mean THIS Billy Hunter-Hamilton?

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Re: Billy Hamilton is Runninnnnnn'

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:02 pm

No idea WTF I typed Hunter instead of Hamilton !+) :-b but yes. I don't visit the ML Forums much/ever anymore.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby Tavish » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:06 pm

bigh0rt wrote:No idea WTF I typed Hunter instead of Hamilton !+)

I blame Obama.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby Skin Blues » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:49 pm

It'll be interesting to see if he can learn to get on base. Could be the next Esix Snead.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 134)

Postby kab21 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:38 pm

Skin Blues wrote:It'll be interesting to see if he can learn to get on base. Could be the next Esix Snead.

That's my concern as well. He strikes out a lot for someone with very little power and very little power projection. Regardless of his SB's that isn't a good combo.

Ben Revere for example is having a difficult time convincing me that he is an MLB starter and he rarely strikes out. He actually makes so much contact that he doesn't walk.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 171)

Postby stealthrunner » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:55 am

What is everyone's gut feeling on him? Are you feeling like a 2013 is possible if he does good this year, if Phillips is not re-signed? 2014?

I'm on fence keeping him at $1.
stealthrunner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Benkei » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:16 pm

I have no insight on when he might be called up, but I drafted him in a league in which we get to stash guys on a minor league roster until they "graduate" . . . in my mind, anytime a guy grabs more than 50 bags he becomes fantasy relevant no matter what, Juan Pierre was a top 10 OF in my roto league in 2010 even though he had an OPS in the 600s, so yeah I think this guy could be an asset down the road . . .

However, I never target guys like this unless I have a Pujols type player to pair them with so as to offset the OPS hit, but I'm in an auction league where I can control that strategy or just trade him to someone who is able to absorb the bad OPS . . .
Benkei
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 7)

Postby garf112 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:41 pm

kab21 wrote:
Skin Blues wrote:It'll be interesting to see if he can learn to get on base. Could be the next Esix Snead.

That's my concern as well. He strikes out a lot for someone with very little power and very little power projection. Regardless of his SB's that isn't a good combo.

Ben Revere for example is having a difficult time convincing me that he is an MLB starter and he rarely strikes out. He actually makes so much contact that he doesn't walk.

If Rey Ordonez can play SS in the Major Leagues and offer no offensive value and we are back to a pitching and defense dominated game, he could definitely play as long as his defense comes along. Although, supposedly, he won't have the arm to stick at short and will most likely end up at second or in center.

Snead never OPSed higher than .700 in any of his minor league seasons. Hamilton's OPS is .712 in his 247 career minor league games and at least has the ability to get extra base hits. The Ks make him a huge question mark though.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 38)

Postby stealthrunner » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:30 pm

If Cozart does ok at SS this year, and they don't keep Phillips, I could see him at 2B. Especially if they fall out of contention and trade Phillips at trade deadline. I can't see Hamilton up before next season, they took their time bringing up Homer, Chapman and Francisco.
stealthrunner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 2)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers