Playoff Seeding and Matchups.....WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Playoff Seeding and Matchups.....WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Playoff Seeding and Matchups.....WHIR

Postby jonboycubs » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:10 am

I am pretty sure I have the bracket right just want to make sure there is nothing I am missing as this is my first year as a LM. I have a 16 team league. 8 teams make the playoffs. The top two teams in each division. The best and most logical way is to have the first round be matchups between divison rivals. That is not how ESPN default did it though. I know how to change it just wondering if it would be more fair to set it up by seed. Please let me know how you do it or if I am doing it right. Thanks, below is the link to the playoff bracket...

http://games.espn.go.com/flb/h2hplayoffs?leagueId=266827
"I was taught you never, ever disrespect your opponent or your teammates or your organization or your manager and never, ever your uniform." Ryne Sandberg
jonboycubs
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 1082)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Playoff Seeding and Matchups.....WHIR

Postby mkultra » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:52 am

jonboycubs wrote:The best and most logical way is to have the first round be matchups between divison rivals.

The most "logical" way is by seed, the way it's done. Pretty much any bracket-based system works that way. Otherwise, what happens if the two strongest teams happen to come from one division?

Above all, though, the "best" way is whatever way you decided at the beginning of the season. If not, it's whatever ESPN puts in place. Now is absolutely not the time to be monkeying around with your league settings.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby bigmck » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:39 pm

What the above poster referred to is exactly what happened in your matchups. You have the 10 seed in the playoffs instead of the 8 seed because the 10 seed came in second place in his division. I am sure the 8 seed owner is not happy about that. Hopefully you made it clear before the season started as to how this would work. Just for future reference, I would stick with ESPN seeding for the playoff spots.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 60)

Postby jonboycubs » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:43 pm

No it has been that way since the start of the season, top two teams in each division make the playoffs. I am not monkeying with league settings but see what you are saying. we were talking about it in the league of having division matchups in first round, but he seeding way is better. Next year it will not be top two teams in each division but the 8 seed will get in. The owner of the 8 seed allready knew that so he is not mad at all. If it had not been top two teams from the start I would have let it go as espn does it. I could not go back on it now though. Thanks for the replys
"I was taught you never, ever disrespect your opponent or your teammates or your organization or your manager and never, ever your uniform." Ryne Sandberg
jonboycubs
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 1082)

Return to Commissioner's Corner