Use #5 WW spot on a spot-starter? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Use #5 WW spot on a spot-starter?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Use #5 WW spot on a spot-starter?

Postby Fantasy GM » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:22 pm

I am in a 12-team, H2H points league. I am tied for 1st and we are currently in the last week of the regular season. The winner of my matchup earns the #1 overall seed and a bye.

As the thread title suggests, I have the #5 WW spot in the league. My plan is to use the WW spot on Kevin Millwood, who starts at Petco on Friday. It would be purely a spot-start, as Millwood would be dropped after the game. I don't feel comfortable starting Anibal Sanchez against the Phillies and would bench him if I made this add.

So, what do you think, should I use the WW spot on Millwood for the Petco start? I haven't used a waiver claim all season and IMO, there won't be a dumb drop in my league the rest of the way (we can make player adds during the playoffs). However, I currently have WW priority over the two other elite teams in our league (the other possible #1 seed and also the #3 seed). Is it worth it?
Fantasy GM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Use #5 WW spot on a spot-starter?

Postby sigriffey » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:47 pm

It's worth it for the bye. That said, be careful because every spot starter I picked up to face the Padres got bombed this year. It's uncanny. They are in a skid though so I say go for it as a better option than Anibal at Philly.

Help me again on mine?
sigriffey
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 12)

Postby Fantasy GM » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:22 am

sigriffey wrote:It's worth it for the bye. That said, be careful because every spot starter I picked up to face the Padres got bombed this year. It's uncanny. They are in a skid though so I say go for it as a better option than Anibal at Philly.

Help me again on mine?

:-o That's just bad luck!

Anibal will actually be at home when he faces the Phillies this weekend, but that lineup is still no fun. I'm not dropping him if I make this move, but, as I said before, he'll get the bench.
Fantasy GM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby sigriffey » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:05 am

Yeah I like the idea. By the way, Anibal is also available in my league. This Philly start aside, do u like him more or less than Lilly down the stretch?

Also, u think Montero will make an impact?
sigriffey
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 12)

Postby Fantasy GM » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:33 am

sigriffey wrote:Yeah I like the idea. By the way, Anibal is also available in my league. This Philly start aside, do u like him more or less than Lilly down the stretch?

Also, u think Montero will make an impact?

Hmm...tricky question. I may actually go Lilly (who, strangely, is also on my team). Anibal is probably the better all-around SP, but Lilly has a 2nd half guy and has been pitching very well as of late. Especially if this IP restriction was to happen (I haven't heard about it, but it wouldn't be far-fetched), Lilly may be a little safer at the moment. Very close though.

Montero COULD do well, but consider this: 1.) VMart is your catcher and he won't get the bench. With guys like Freeman and Lawrie on your bench as well, it's more or less just a cluster. 2.) Russell Martin will catch, and Posada's ego may DH more than you'd like.
Fantasy GM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ffootball05 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:27 am

I really know nothing about Millwood this year. It sounds like a favorable matchup at Petco and all, but i have been screwed in a spot start before. I think you just have to roll with it if you feel its right. take a look at scoresandodds.com to see if he is favored or not and you can look at the run total. its all a crap shoot.
ffootball05
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Fantasy GM » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:17 am

Thanks for the link. It didn't have Friday's starts on there when I checked, but it's good for future times that I'll need it.

Anyways, I took' the "risk" by waiting the night out, and no one had added Millwood. So I was able to do so without surrendering my waiver spot. Makes things a little better if Millwood gets rocked.
Fantasy GM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions