Salary Cap amount? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Salary Cap amount?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Salary Cap amount?

Postby ShdowMastr81 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:46 pm

Does anyone know of a reliable way to determine a salary cap? Im starting a 16 team salary/dynasty league with a few different categories than most leagues use. I know 260 is that standard in a 10-12 team 5x5, but im doing a 7x7 with a 25 man roster and 15 man minors. Any suggestions on how to determine a appropriate cap will be greatly appreciated. Many thanks
ShdowMastr81
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Salary Cap amount?

Postby mkultra » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:55 pm

25-man roster isn't that deep, but 15 minor leaguers is. Are you drafting them, or do they get acquired as free agents for $1? Does their salary increase?

If you take those guys out of the equation, $260 draft salary is probably fine, even for a 16-team league. All that happens is that the good players tend to cost a few bucks less. If you're doing 7x7, odds are your rankings are going to be slightly different from most published stuff anyway.

You'll want to have a separate in-season salary cap ($300 is common), to allow teams in the hunt for the title to be able to trade away a couple prospects for more expensive guys they don't plan to keep.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby bigmck » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:40 pm

I agree with what was said above. You might consider using a draft on your Minor Leaguers with a set salary rather than bidding on them.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 59)

Postby ShdowMastr81 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:08 pm

There will be a 15 man minors system. Drafted in non snake format every offseason, before the majors draft. There will be a hard slotting price for each pick made. Here are the price slots:

R1- 1M
R2- 900K
R3- 800K
R4- 750K
R5/R6- 500K
R7-R9- 450K
R10/R11- 300K
R12/R13- 200K
R14/R15- 100K

This price will be your cap hit for that specific player while they are still in minors. It's a total of 7M towards your overall cap. once a player reaches the 130/50 limit they will be promoted or released. their majors contract will be based on their current BA preseason rank. #1-25 $4M, #26-74 $3M, #75-100 $2M, Unranked $1M. the first season they reach 130/50 will also start their arb period. which is 6 years of controlled service time. once a player hits 3 consecutive years of min. 130/50 they are eligible for a raise. if they are arb elig going into year 4 and rank top 5 in their primary position on yahoo position ranks, they will get a $1M raise for yr 4, if not they stay the same. going into yr 5 is a $2M raise and yr 6 is a $3M raise, all from current contract, not the original contract. after 6 years of controlled service time they are an unrestricted free agent. you are allowed to extend them at any point during yr 4 - yr 6 to a 3yr deal with a yr 4 Team Option. the salary will be $5M added onto the current arb price. and will stay firm at that price for all 3 years. the option year will be a $2M raise. so if player A is worth 4M as a pro, hits arb in yr3 and is top 5. he will be worth 5M. if you extend him, he will cost you 10M for each of the next 3 years with an option for 12M. if you decline the option you still have restricted rights to him, meaning you have 24 hrs to match the highest bid on him, during free agency.

That's about all i have for the minors aspect as of now.

im thinking that the salary cap will be 232M, 225M for majors, and 7M for minors. as far as free agent bids, one idea i have is something like a blind bidding points system. where each 1M is 1 pt, each yr is 1pt, each TO is 2pt (max 2 TO), and each clause (No Waive or No Buyout) are 3pts and No Trade Clause is 4pts.

So if i bid on, lets say..Howie Kendrick, it would look like this:
4yrs, 12M per 5th yr TO (NB/NW)

4yr= 4pts
12M/yr= 48pts
1 TO for yr5= 2pts
NB/NW= 4pts
that would equal 58 pts for a bid. the highest bid will win that player.

as for majors contracts. im still undecided but im looking at doing a max at 5yr w/ 0 team options. so when a player is bid on they cannot exceed a 5yr contract. a 1yr contract will also not be allowed to have a team option. but 2,3,4 yr contracts can have options. but the overall length can not exceed the 5 yr plateau. all options will be a 2M raise with no flexibility on that.
ShdowMastr81
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bigmck » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:22 pm

If you are using some weird pricing structure rather than standard fantasy amounts, you are wasting your time asking for assistance. Nobody uses Millions of Dollars in the Fantasy teams.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ShdowMastr81 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:28 pm

bigmck wrote:If you are using some weird pricing structure rather than standard fantasy amounts, you are wasting your time asking for assistance. Nobody uses Millions of Dollars in the Fantasy teams.

its the same thing as a regular 260 cap. you add M after it to make it millions. and put in a decimal to account for 500K...11.5M is the same exact thing as $11.50
ShdowMastr81
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bigmck » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:29 pm

4yr= 4pts
12M/yr= 48pts
1 TO for yr5= 2pts
NB/NW= 4pts
that would equal 58 pts for a bid. the highest bid will win that player.

If you think that is the same thing as standard, you have no idea about Fantasy.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ShdowMastr81 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:40 pm

bigmck wrote:Nobody uses Millions of Dollars in the Fantasy teams.

this is what i was referring to. And i realize that the structure i mentioned is not normal. we arent doing a normal auction. we are doing a slow free agent period to create our own market. that point system is only used to determine which contract and salary offer is the best when the bidding begins.
ShdowMastr81
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby mkultra » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:26 am

I think your pricing structure is way more complicated than it needs to be, particularly for minor leaguers. Unless you're all seasoned, hardcore fantasy addicts, I think you'll quickly find yourself wishing for something simpler once you get going.

For example, why on earth have No Trade/No Waive Clauses? It's not like the players have a say in fantasy baseball. I don't see how it's ever to anyone's benefit to prevent a player from being traded. You're only potentially handicapping an owner in a down year- why pay for that "privilege"?

Also, how do you plan on tracking all this information? If I want to try and trade for Howie Kendrick, how am I expected to know about all the weird clauses in his contract?
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby ShdowMastr81 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:21 am

mkultra wrote:I think your pricing structure is way more complicated than it needs to be, particularly for minor leaguers. Unless you're all seasoned, hardcore fantasy addicts, I think you'll quickly find yourself wishing for something simpler once you get going.

For example, why on earth have No Trade/No Waive Clauses? It's not like the players have a say in fantasy baseball. I don't see how it's ever to anyone's benefit to prevent a player from being traded. You're only potentially handicapping an owner in a down year- why pay for that "privilege"?

Also, how do you plan on tracking all this information? If I want to try and trade for Howie Kendrick, how am I expected to know about all the weird clauses in his contract?

No trade and no waive clauses are optional. You don't have to include them when you bid on a player. But those added points in the bidding system might win you that bid. Everything will be stored on either google docs or excel. Its not that hard to do.

Gimme an example of an easier system for minor leaguers?
ShdowMastr81
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner