Big Kendall trade rumor - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Big Kendall trade rumor

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby polyphonic » Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:34 am

Jarvis makes a lot of money, and unlike Kendall, has absolutely no value whatsoever.
serious as a heart attack
makes me feel this way
polyphonic
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Kendall will be gone

Postby Ry-Guy » Wed Mar 31, 2004 2:40 am

It's not a matter of if Kendall will be traded but when. I'd love him to go to a better lineup where he could score more runs and drive more in. We all know he has lousy power but you can't complain about a catcher that hits over .300 almost every year.
Check out www.hardcorefantasybaseball.com
Ry-Guy
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Madison » Wed Mar 31, 2004 2:30 pm

jonnyblack wrote:He has a reputation for "calling good games," something that can not be said for Mr. Gold Glove, Pudge. His defense is average;

I guess the kids in Florida were calling their own pitches. ;-7

Difference is that the Marlins staff was able to execute. You can call the best game in the world, but if your staff keeps missing location or hanging the pitch over the middle of the plate, you look like an idiot. Pudge never had a group of talent like they have in Florida. It's the talent of the pitchers involved. It's not a matter of if Pudge calls a good game or not. That was proven last year since he actually had some talent to work with.

Oh yeah, and that's from a Rangers fan.

Anyway, as to the Kendall possible trade, the Pirates would have to kick in some money. Kendall's contract is way too high and I just don't see the Mariners picking the entire thing up.

Thanks for the heads up though. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby jonnyblack » Wed Mar 31, 2004 2:39 pm

hey mad, right about pudge, but i was merely referring to his reputation for not calling good games (originated in arlington). He helped his rep last year, but hell, i could probably call a good game with that staff. (of course, i couldn't catch the ball). Kendall has had about as little to work with as pudge did in texas, and still has somehow come out with the good rep. All of this is subjective, of course. In no way am i saying that kendall is anywhere in Pudge's realm, but I was trying to point out that, behind the dish overall, Kendall may be better than people think.
98% of Americans have a favorable opinion of puppies and rainbows.
How do you spell "biased?"
jonnyblack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: Living Room, Watchin Baseball on Mute, Ignoring Idiot Red Sox and Yankee Fans

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Mar 31, 2004 2:48 pm

Madison wrote:
jonnyblack wrote:He has a reputation for "calling good games," something that can not be said for Mr. Gold Glove, Pudge. His defense is average;

I guess the kids in Florida were calling their own pitches. ;-7

Difference is that the Marlins staff was able to execute. You can call the best game in the world, but if your staff keeps missing location or hanging the pitch over the middle of the plate, you look like an idiot. Pudge never had a group of talent like they have in Florida. It's the talent of the pitchers involved. It's not a matter of if Pudge calls a good game or not. That was proven last year since he actually had some talent to work with.

Oh yeah, and that's from a Rangers fan.

Anyway, as to the Kendall possible trade, the Pirates would have to kick in some money. Kendall's contract is way too high and I just don't see the Mariners picking the entire thing up.

Thanks for the heads up though. ;-D

You beat me to it, Mad.

I cant see this happening without the contract relief. If money wasnt the issue, I imagine they would have gone after Pudge originally since he would have been a perfect fit for them.

I love the fact that we signed Pudge - have I told you guys that lately?
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Madison » Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:01 pm

jonnyblack wrote:hey mad, right about pudge, but i was merely referring to his reputation for not calling good games (originated in arlington). He helped his rep last year, but hell, i could probably call a good game with that staff. (of course, i couldn't catch the ball). Kendall has had about as little to work with as pudge did in texas, and still has somehow come out with the good rep. All of this is subjective, of course. In no way am i saying that kendall is anywhere in Pudge's realm, but I was trying to point out that, behind the dish overall, Kendall may be better than people think.

I like that a lot better. :-) Thanks for clearing that up. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby guest » Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:03 pm

Think a/b the Mariners for a second... They are a small ball team in pitchers park. Getting a catcher w/ a high BA is more important than bringing in another catcher that will hit .250 & may have a little more power... Ben Davis can't hit the broad side of a barn. His plate #'s have decreased over the last 2 yrs & he played himself out of a spot on the team w/ a horrendous spring. I just think Davis is another prospect that will never see big league success. Dan wilson has never been a good hitter, no power & way to many pop outs in key situations. He is Old & while his Defense is solid, he can't be expected to be an everyday catcher @ this point in his career. M's need to do something @ catcher & see them finding a way to get this done. As a loyal mariners freak, this is one of the glaring weaknesses on this squad (the other one being CF) & kendall would be a solid upgrade in that department.

Friendliness: %

Postby cardinals15 » Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:18 pm

Don't know the details of what a possible trade would involve, but it seems to me the logic Mariners management was throwing around last season for not going after Brian Giles is they didn't want the extra baggage of Jason Kendell and his huge contract. Meanwhile like I said before way back when they spend 3+ mil on guys like Spiezo, 4+ mil on Ibanez, and I know they spent around 2-3 mil on a bunch of other guys I can remember offhand. Now, if this is true, a big if. But if its true they suddenly like Kendell as the main component of a trade, not as extra baggage. There just doesn't seem to be good logic, or a good well conceived plan. However, hopefully the Mariners aren't going after Kendall and this is just a rumor.
cardinals15
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby amich1 » Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:19 pm

m's got $$$ to burn w/ sasaki going back to japan (15 million!)
I suspect they will make @ least 1 move to bring a "big name" bat in there at some point this season. Whether or not Kendall counts is debatable but they still have 7mill+ on the payroll to play w/ even if they don't get pitt. to eat some of the salary
amich1

Friendliness: %

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers