Big Kendall trade rumor - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Big Kendall trade rumor

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Big Kendall trade rumor

Postby Green Monstah » Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:27 pm

"Kendall has been offered to the Mariners for Ben Davis and Kevin Jarvis, the Tacoma News Tribune reports." -from espn's player reports-

As a Kendall owner, I would love this...his RBI and Run total will go up in this lineup, especially if he hit around .310 this year :-D
Green Monstah
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Matchup Meltdown Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dude86 » Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:32 pm

If I'm Seattle I don't think I would accept that trade. If I were the Mariners I'd offer a deal to the Mets for Vance Wilson. They could get him for cheaper and the Mets would definetly be willing to give him away since they already have two good catchers in Piazza and Phillips. I think Wilson could put up alright numbers as an everyday starter maybe something like .280-15-70
Dude86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby KolbSaves » Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:33 pm

that's gotta improve Kendall's value if it happens
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Andy1234 » Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:38 pm

KolbSaves wrote:that's gotta improve Kendall's value if it happens
Why not?
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. -Crash Davis

Stewie : [watching a baseball game] Why does that man drop his club before he runs? I would bring it with me!
Andy1234
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Green Monstah » Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:39 pm

Andy1234 wrote:
Why not?

huh? 8-o
Green Monstah
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Matchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby MashinSpuds » Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:48 pm

Green Monstah wrote:
Andy1234 wrote:
Why not?

huh? 8-o

EXACTLY! }:-)
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby BGbootha » Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:50 pm

This trade is going to make me sick if it goes through. Yes from a fantasy standpoint it would improve Kendall's outlook two fold - But can i ask a baseball question? WHY?

If you are the M's, you are going to take on a contract that big (8 mill this year progressing up to 13 mill in 2008) for a lower tier decent avg hitting catcher.

What did kendall have last year? like 9 hrs, yeah he may have hit .315 or something, but that is not what seattle needs, if you are going to pay someone that much money, lets get somethign out of it.

That being said, it would not surprise me to see this happen in the next few days, i mean the Hawks had Mirer, Sonics had Brickowski, and the M's finally got rid of Cirillo, why not keep up the streak and screw a team again.
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Justise » Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:33 am

The pirates are willing to do a straight trade for jarvis and davis, but the Mariners are not going to take on that salary as it is. If the pirates were willing to pay kendalls salary for the next few years and keep it around 8, then I'd say this deal will get done, otherwise its not happening.
Justise
College Coach
College Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby jonnyblack » Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:01 am

Agreed, Pittsburg will have to eat some of the money for the deal to get done. They want to dump him for many reasons, but no team is going to take him without a lil cash along with him.

As far as the Mariners go, if they get the cash, I think this is a good deal for them. First, he is a career .304 hitter. so he's a catcher and gets days off and fewer AB's? Not in Kendall's case. he is always over 150 games and 500 ABs. He is getting older, but he can swipe a bag when the team needs one. His career OBP is .385, it has been over .400 in three different seasons, and remained a studly .399 last year, not to mention a sweet .325 BA in a stout 587 ABs.

He has not shown much power. the most HR he has hit is 14 in his career year, the 2000 season. his highest RBI total is 75 in 1998, and 58 last year and the same in 2000. While he obviously lacks the power of a Piazza, HRs are only one facet of the game, and RBI are more situational. He has slugged over .500 once, and has holds a career mark of .422. While that number is not staggering, it is not bad coming from a catcher that can also bat .300 consistently.

Behind the dish, Kendal is not the best, but he is certainly not the worst. He has a reputation for "calling good games," something that can not be said for Mr. Gold Glove, Pudge. His defense is average; it won't kill a team, but it may not help either.

I think this would be a nice addition for the M's, if the money comes with him.

Fantasy wise, Kendal's .300 consistency is the only real dimension that can help a team. But to be able to raise and carry a team in BA from the catcher spot is worth a lot. Kendall can almost cancel out a poor BA from guys like Glaus, Burnitz, Any Dodgers, or Thome.
98% of Americans have a favorable opinion of puppies and rainbows.
How do you spell "biased?"
jonnyblack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: Living Room, Watchin Baseball on Mute, Ignoring Idiot Red Sox and Yankee Fans

Postby Andy1234 » Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:32 am

MashinSpuds wrote:
Green Monstah wrote:
Andy1234 wrote:
Why not?

huh? 8-o

EXACTLY! }:-)
Sorry, I misread the post, I thought it said thats not gonna improve Kendall's value if it happens
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. -Crash Davis

Stewie : [watching a baseball game] Why does that man drop his club before he runs? I would bring it with me!
Andy1234
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers