$100K - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to New York Yankees

$100K

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

$100K

Postby La§ Aguila§ » Mon Mar 10, 2003 7:43 pm

David Wells accepted a $100,000 fine imposed by the New York Yankees on Monday for inflammatory revelations in his autobiography.

The money will be split among three charities chosen by the team: the Boys and Girls Clubs of New York, the Baseball Assistance Team and the Special Operations Warrior Foundation.

"I'm glad it's over,'' Wells said. "I can't worry about that. I've got to move on and go out there and pitch.''

The amount of the fine was first reported Monday by The New York Times.

Yankees spokesman Rick Cerrone announced the agreement in Winter Haven, Fla., just after Wells completed his spring training start against Cleveland.

The deal was negotiated by Yankees president Randy Levine and general manager Brian Cashman with Wells' agent, Gregg Clifton; union lawyer Gene Orza; and Rob Manfred, executive vice president of labor relations in the commissioner's office.

Wells agreed not to contest the penalty. Commissioner Bud Selig said he intends to meet with the pitcher to discuss the book.

The pitcher was hit hard in his first two exhibition starts, causing the team to wonder whether he was preoccupied by reaction to the book. He had a much better outing Monday, allowing one run and six hits in four innings of relief. He gave up a home run to former Yankee Shane Spencer and struck out four.
[b]DoMiNiCaN FoR LiFe ![/b]
La§ Aguila§
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: $100K

Postby La§ Aguila§ » Wed Mar 12, 2003 8:54 pm

La§ Aguila§ wrote:David Wells accepted a $100,000 fine imposed by the New York Yankees on Monday for inflammatory revelations in his autobiography.

The money will be split among three charities chosen by the team: the Boys and Girls Clubs of New York, the Baseball Assistance Team and the Special Operations Warrior Foundation.

"I'm glad it's over,'' Wells said. "I can't worry about that. I've got to move on and go out there and pitch.''

The amount of the fine was first reported Monday by The New York Times.

Yankees spokesman Rick Cerrone announced the agreement in Winter Haven, Fla., just after Wells completed his spring training start against Cleveland.

The deal was negotiated by Yankees president Randy Levine and general manager Brian Cashman with Wells' agent, Gregg Clifton; union lawyer Gene Orza; and Rob Manfred, executive vice president of labor relations in the commissioner's office.

Wells agreed not to contest the penalty. Commissioner Bud Selig said he intends to meet with the pitcher to discuss the book.

The pitcher was hit hard in his first two exhibition starts, causing the team to wonder whether he was preoccupied by reaction to the book. He had a much better outing Monday, allowing one run and six hits in four innings of relief. He gave up a home run to former Yankee Shane Spencer and struck out four.
[b]DoMiNiCaN FoR LiFe ![/b]
La§ Aguila§
College Coach
College Coach

Postby DK » Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:53 pm

Did anyone read this book? I didn't have the pleasure of doing so. Is it any good?
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby WeaponsMasProduction » Tue May 04, 2004 8:40 pm

I read and thought it was great. I was sick with the flu and finished it in a day, couldnt stop reading. not great literature by any stetch but very amusing, gives you a real inside look in the life of a player. I would highly recommend it to any baseball fan.
WeaponsMasProduction
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:44 pm

I wish I made enough so that people could fine me 100,000 grand. The salaries still blow my mind.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Return to New York Yankees