Government deficit? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Government deficit?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Government deficit?

Postby Tavish » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:55 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
wrveres wrote:Good ... All the more reason to lower my taxes.
and while we are are it, make the half of the country that pays zero federal taxes, but uses 90% of the services, pay their fair share.

Let's put churches to the top of that list. Why do they a free pass on taxes? Why do you get a write off for giving money to a church?

At least with churches there is a plausible way to pass it off as a charitable donation. I would rather someone get a write off for tithing their local church than a booster buying USC another player and writing that off.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:41 pm

Tavish wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:
and while we are are it, make the half of the country that pays zero federal taxes, but uses 90% of the services, pay their fair share.

Let's put churches to the top of that list. Why do they a free pass on taxes? Why do you get a write off for giving money to a church?

At least with churches there is a plausible way to pass it off as a charitable donation. I would rather someone get a write off for tithing their local church than a booster buying USC another player and writing that off.
Hey now, students are people too. They have rights. Especially the Trojans. You cant have them driving around in a Yugo, you know?

Fight On!
Last edited by wrveres on Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 671)

Postby kab21 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:29 am

Tavish wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:

Part of the problem is passing it off as a charitable donation. The bigger part of the problem is the abuse of the system. A big group from work was having lunch while visiting a supplier a couple of years ago and taxes came up. One guy commented about his big tax return and said that one reason was his tax advisor told him a large number that he could report as a donation but not set off the audit alerts. he then said who the **** gives that kind of money to a church. The Mormon at the table said 'I do'. Awkward.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 166)

Postby Tavish » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:49 am

kab21 wrote:Part of the problem is passing it off as a charitable donation. The bigger part of the problem is the abuse of the system. A big group from work was having lunch while visiting a supplier a couple of years ago and taxes came up. One guy commented about his big tax return and said that one reason was his tax advisor told him a large number that he could report as a donation but not set off the audit alerts. he then said who the **** gives that kind of money to a church. The Mormon at the table said 'I do'. Awkward.

Sure, but if you suddenly make tithe taxable it will just mean then people will just start reporting donations to the Human Fund.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:05 am

Charitable works sure. But I don't see the purpose behind a tax deduction for trying to convert new members. Some churches don't do any charitable work and they just prothelytize. Some make it central to their charitable efforts. I read about churches going down to Haiti after the earthquake and while the Red Cross was giving water and assistance the churches were trying to convert them.

Up here Greenpeace was required to split their activities for tax purposes. Charitable works are undertaken by one arm of the group and the political activities are undertaken by another and they have to keep separate finances if they want to do work for which there is a tax write off. Why can't churches do the same?
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 268)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:14 am

Mookie4ever wrote:Charitable works sure. But I don't see the purpose behind a tax deduction for trying to convert new members. Some churches don't do any charitable work and they just prothelytize. Some make it central to their charitable efforts. I read about churches going down to Haiti after the earthquake and while the Red Cross was giving water and assistance the churches were trying to convert them.

Up here Greenpeace was required to split their activities for tax purposes. Charitable works are undertaken by one arm of the group and the political activities are undertaken by another and they have to keep separate finances if they want to do work for which there is a tax write off. Why can't churches do the same?

because any politician who tried to push that kind of reform would never get (re)elected
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby RedHopeful » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:51 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:Charitable works sure. But I don't see the purpose behind a tax deduction for trying to convert new members. Some churches don't do any charitable work and they just prothelytize. Some make it central to their charitable efforts. I read about churches going down to Haiti after the earthquake and while the Red Cross was giving water and assistance the churches were trying to convert them.

Come on Mook, you know the religious majority would never stand for such logic. Wouldn't be God's way - longest precedent that I can think of actually. :-b
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby kab21 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:07 pm

Tavish wrote:Sure, but if you suddenly make tithe taxable it will just mean then people will just start reporting donations to the Human Fund.

I was talking about charitable donations in general and used used tithing as an example.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 166)

Postby knapplc » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:24 pm

The two key words here. "Up here" is a very different story than "down there." What works for you folks doesn't work for Americans, the French, the English, the Germans, blah blah blah applesauce.

There is nothing wrong with what Canada does with charitable organizations. But you cannot expect everyone to do it. Even if it is logical and sane.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby AussieDodger » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:24 am

knapplc wrote:There is nothing wrong with what Canada does with charitable organizations. But you cannot expect everyone to do it. Even if it is logical and sane.

Two words you wouldn't apply to American policy makers :-b
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Previous

Return to General Talk