Kelly Johnson traded for Aaron Hill/McDonald - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Kelly Johnson traded for Aaron Hill/McDonald

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Kelly Johnson traded for Aaron Hill/McDonald

Postby mweir145 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:33 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
mweir145 wrote:The Jays have been targeting Kelly Johnson for years.

Was Riccardi targeting him? Cause Anthopoulos has been GM for less than two years.

Apparently, yes. Remember also that AA worked under JP.
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: Kelly Johnson traded for Aaron Hill/McDonald

Postby GiantsFan14 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:33 pm

Tavish wrote:
Skin Blues wrote:It's not earth-shattering obviously, but at least it addresses 2B for next year. Hech isn't anywhere close to being ready in 2012 and KJ is the best FA option at the only position the Jays need to address. If he declines arbitration, we take the 2 first round picks and go after Infante or somebody else. I don't think it can be understated about how bad Hill has sucked for the past 2 seasons. The only hitter that has been worse in the major leagues, at any position, is Alcides Escobar.

There is no doubt Hill is awful, but that didn't really matter moving forward since there was no way they picked up his option. I think of it more as a question as to whether Johnson is worth the arbitration award next year or not. I can't see him declining arbitration so I don't think the comp picks are a factor either. I'm just curious as to why you seem so happy to potentially paying Johnson $7m+ next year besides the "its not Hill" reason which wasn't going to be the case anyways.


because they already saved $1MM on hill's buyout, the MI market is ridiculously weak, and it's only a one year deal so there is less risk involved.
Image
25
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

User avatar
EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 14142
(Past Year: 427)
Joined: 12 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: BUSTER HATH ARRIVED

Re: Kelly Johnson traded for Aaron Hill/McDonald

Postby mweir145 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:37 pm

Even this year, Kelly Johnson was been worth $7M to this point: http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?pl ... osition=2B

Why would the Jays not want to have a player like this, with huge potential surplus value, on a 1 year/7M deal?
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: Kelly Johnson traded for Aaron Hill/McDonald

Postby Skin Blues » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:43 pm

Tavish wrote:
Skin Blues wrote:It's not earth-shattering obviously, but at least it addresses 2B for next year. Hech isn't anywhere close to being ready in 2012 and KJ is the best FA option at the only position the Jays need to address. If he declines arbitration, we take the 2 first round picks and go after Infante or somebody else. I don't think it can be understated about how bad Hill has sucked for the past 2 seasons. The only hitter that has been worse in the major leagues, at any position, is Alcides Escobar.

There is no doubt Hill is awful, but that didn't really matter moving forward since there was no way they picked up his option. I think of it more as a question as to whether Johnson is worth the arbitration award next year or not. I can't see him declining arbitration so I don't think the comp picks are a factor either. I'm just curious as to why you seem so happy to potentially paying Johnson $7m+ next year besides the "its not Hill" reason which wasn't going to be the case anyways.

Why am I happy that we picked up KJ? :-? Well, they might pay him $7M and they're saving $1M on Hill's buyout, which is more than acceptable on a low-risk one year contract. Or he might slip to Type B (he's on the cusp) and decline arb. Or a bunch of things that could happen, the worst of which is adding the best 2B available to a team that sorely needs a 2B. Which might even have been their plan.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3082
(Past Year: 109)
Joined: 11 Apr 2010
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Kelly Johnson traded for Aaron Hill/McDonald

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:53 pm

Aaron Hill is getting a bad rap in this thread. He's not terrific but he's certainly not awful. A little unlucky with his babip this year. His power has been there the past 2 yrs and I hope that the change of scenery does him good. Good luck Aaron.
Image
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 19545
(Past Year: 257)
Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Hakuna, Montana

Re: Kelly Johnson traded for Aaron Hill/McDonald

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:04 pm

mweir145 wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:
mweir145 wrote:The Jays have been targeting Kelly Johnson for years.

Was Riccardi targeting him? Cause Anthopoulos has been GM for less than two years.

Apparently, yes. Remember also that AA worked under JP.

I just wasn't sure what you were referring to, that's all.

Skin Blues wrote:This is AA's third year as GM

He was named GM in October of 2009. You can use semantics and say it's his third year, but in reality it's been less than two.

Like I said to wiersy, though, I wasn't sure what he was referring to, or if Riccardi had openly inquired about Huge Johnson during his tenure as GM.
Image
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 24818
(Past Year: 301)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

Re: Kelly Johnson traded for Aaron Hill/McDonald

Postby mweir145 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:09 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:Aaron Hill is getting a bad rap in this thread. He's not terrific but he's certainly not awful. A little unlucky with his babip this year. His power has been there the past 2 yrs and I hope that the change of scenery does him good. Good luck Aaron.

Hill has a -0.6 fWAR this season. He's hit for no power (.310 SLG), taken no walks, played bad defense, and repeatedly made mistakes on the bases. Mentally, he's a complete wreck and his approach at the plate for the last two seasons has been pitiful.

Don't let your memory of his good years make you look over the bad baseball player he is now.
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: Kelly Johnson traded for Aaron Hill/McDonald

Postby Skin Blues » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:10 pm

1,013 Plate Appearances
.212/.270/.358

BABIP isn't to blame... he's simply been a bad hitter for two years. That is by far the worst OBA of any major leaguer in that time period. He was a great player for a couple years but unfortunately that time is long gone.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3082
(Past Year: 109)
Joined: 11 Apr 2010
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Kelly Johnson traded for Aaron Hill/McDonald

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:24 pm

Well he's no Garth Iorg and his baserunning has sucked this year but his defence hasn't been that bad and he has been unlucky at the plate. His head hasn't been in the game. The talent is still there and I wish him the best.
Image
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 19545
(Past Year: 257)
Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Hakuna, Montana

Re: Kelly Johnson traded for Aaron Hill/McDonald

Postby wrveres » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:20 am

Mookie4ever wrote:Aaron Hill is getting a bad rap in this thread. He's not terrific but he's certainly not awful. A little unlucky with his babip this year. His power has been there the past 2 yrs and I hope that the change of scenery does him good. Good luck Aaron.
:-] Nobody buys low like the sludge merchant. He got Adrian Gonzalez as a toss in. Heath Bell, Mike Adams. I could go on and on. Of course it goes the other way too. Jim Edmonds, Vinny Castilla. He traded for Todd Walker, and slotted him at 3B immediately. In a pennant race. Nevermind Walker hadn't played 3B in 10 years .....
Kevin Towers iissss .. the Sludge Merchant
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31783
(Past Year: 641)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2015 MLB season starts in 16:21 hours
(and 89 days)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact