Kelly Johnson traded for Aaron Hill/McDonald - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Kelly Johnson traded for Aaron Hill/McDonald

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Kelly Johnson traded for Aaron Hill/McDonald

Postby bigken117 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:41 pm

Mookie4ever wrote: So they want Johnson around for a while.

:-b

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 251)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tavish » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:44 pm

Skin Blues wrote:They save money on the Hill buyout. They get an upgrade at 2B that will either a) accept arbitration and they have him cheap for 1 year when they need a 2B anyway or b) he declines and we get a pick or two. Seems like a win-win to me. They're not guaranteed picks but I think they're more than happy to be rid of Hill and his buyout, and gain a viable 2B option.

I guess it depends on how you want to apply the term "cheap". I wouldn't consider Johnson at $7m+ next season a win.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 34)

Postby Skin Blues » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:02 pm

Cheaper than Aaron Hill, and better than all the other FA options. Keep in mind that replacing Aaron Hill with a better player and being stuck with him at cheaper contract is the worst case scenario.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 172)

Postby Tavish » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:44 pm

Skin Blues wrote:Cheaper than Aaron Hill, and better than all the other FA options. Keep in mind that replacing Aaron Hill with a better player and being stuck with him at cheaper contract is the worst case scenario.

Being better and cheaper than Hill is of course relative. If they resign Johnson and he has even a modest bounceback next season then it is a very good trade for the Jays. If they don't sign him or he continues to regress next season then the move is pretty inconsequential as they traded an awful player that they weren't going to keep anyways for a slightly less awful player who they probably shouldn't have kept.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter

Postby mweir145 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:53 pm

The Jays have been targeting Kelly Johnson for years. I have little doubt that they acquired him with the intention of keeping him around in 2012. If he declines their arbitration offer and receives a long-term deal elsewhere (seems unlikely at this point, but the 2B pool is shallow), the Jays will still get picks out of him. Either way, it's another good trade.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby Skin Blues » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:07 pm

It's not earth-shattering obviously, but at least it addresses 2B for next year. Hech isn't anywhere close to being ready in 2012 and KJ is the best FA option at the only position the Jays need to address. If he declines arbitration, we take the 2 first round picks and go after Infante or somebody else. I don't think it can be understated about how bad Hill has sucked for the past 2 seasons. The only hitter that has been worse in the major leagues, at any position, is Alcides Escobar.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:08 pm

mweir145 wrote:The Jays have been targeting Kelly Johnson for years.

Was Riccardi targeting him? Cause Anthopoulos has been GM for less than two years.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 373)

Postby lastingsgriller » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:19 pm

mweir145 wrote:I've always been a fan of huge Johnson

:-b
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 182)

Postby Skin Blues » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:20 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
mweir145 wrote:The Jays have been targeting Kelly Johnson for years.

Was Riccardi targeting him? Cause Anthopoulos has been GM for less than two years.

This is AA's third year as GM and he was named Assistant to the General Manager (Dwight Schrute shout-out) 7 years ago.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Tavish » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:32 pm

Skin Blues wrote:It's not earth-shattering obviously, but at least it addresses 2B for next year. Hech isn't anywhere close to being ready in 2012 and KJ is the best FA option at the only position the Jays need to address. If he declines arbitration, we take the 2 first round picks and go after Infante or somebody else. I don't think it can be understated about how bad Hill has sucked for the past 2 seasons. The only hitter that has been worse in the major leagues, at any position, is Alcides Escobar.

There is no doubt Hill is awful, but that didn't really matter moving forward since there was no way they picked up his option. I think of it more as a question as to whether Johnson is worth the arbitration award next year or not. I can't see him declining arbitration so I don't think the comp picks are a factor either. I'm just curious as to why you seem so happy to potentially paying Johnson $7m+ next year besides the "its not Hill" reason which wasn't going to be the case anyways.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers