Kelly Johnson traded for Aaron Hill/McDonald - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Kelly Johnson traded for Aaron Hill/McDonald

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Kelly Johnson traded for Aaron Hill/McDonald

Postby GiantsFan14 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:00 pm

@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 429)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Skin Blues » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:35 pm

wow, haha. I completely forgot Ryan Roberts ever played for the Jays. That's a pretty terrible infield for a playoff contender. Actually that's a pretty bad infield for any major league team, considering three of them combine for -0.6 WAR. AA couldn't have convinced them to take Mark Teahen, too??
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 134)

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:04 pm

Going to miss John McDonald. Sure hope the jays resign him this offseason. He was a leader.
In Hill and McDonald there was 13 years of service to the Jays. Now the longest serving Jay is Casey Janssen with 5 yrs. AA sure is making it his team.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby mweir145 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:37 am

Mookie4ever wrote:Going to miss John McDonald. Sure hope the jays resign him this offseason. He was a leader.
In Hill and McDonald there was 13 years of service to the Jays. Now the longest serving Jay is Casey Janssen with 5 yrs. AA sure is making it his team.

I don't know about all this leadership/intangibles stuff, but McDonald will be back in 2012, there's little doubt about that.

I'm going to watch Diamondbacks games now just for flashbacks to the Riccardi years.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby bayside » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:15 am

bigken117 wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:
mweir145 wrote:I've always been a fan of huge Johnson
:-b

made me laugh out loud :-b
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mweir145 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:49 am

bayside wrote:
bigken117 wrote:
bigh0rt wrote: :-b

made me laugh out loud :-b

I hear they're making an Austin Powers 4. You three might make some good writers on the project. :-D
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby AussieDodger » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:53 am

mweir145 wrote:I've always been a fan of huge Johnson

:-b
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 24)

Postby Tavish » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:11 pm

Skin Blues wrote:I was hoping the Jays would go after Johnson this off-season, so now if he makes Type A, they won't lose a pick. And if they don't sign him, they get a pick or two. Plus, they got rid of two useless middle infielders. I like it. Hill has been beyond horrible for two seasons, and Macdonald was god awful with a bat in his hands, albeit he was a fan favourite that could sign with the Jays again next season.

I'm going to have to concur here... either the D'Backs got some cash to pay Hill's buyout, or it makes no sense from their standpoint.

If they don't sign him then I'm not so sure they will get a pick. For one, Johnson would probably be crazy to decline arbitration especially if he is a Type A. And if he did decline arbitration and is still Type A I'm not sure how many teams would be willing to go after him. If the Jays plan on him being a more long term stop gap until Hech or whomever is ready to go at 2B then certainly trading for him saved them a pick. If they got him just to play out the year and then try and scoop up extra comp picks then I don't think it was a great idea.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:26 pm

Tavish wrote:
Skin Blues wrote:I was hoping the Jays would go after Johnson this off-season, so now if he makes Type A, they won't lose a pick. And if they don't sign him, they get a pick or two. Plus, they got rid of two useless middle infielders. I like it. Hill has been beyond horrible for two seasons, and Macdonald was god awful with a bat in his hands, albeit he was a fan favourite that could sign with the Jays again next season.

I'm going to have to concur here... either the D'Backs got some cash to pay Hill's buyout, or it makes no sense from their standpoint.

If they don't sign him then I'm not so sure they will get a pick. For one, Johnson would probably be crazy to decline arbitration especially if he is a Type A. And if he did decline arbitration and is still Type A I'm not sure how many teams would be willing to go after him. If the Jays plan on him being a more long term stop gap until Hech or whomever is ready to go at 2B then certainly trading for him saved them a pick. If they got him just to play out the year and then try and scoop up extra comp picks then I don't think it was a great idea.

Adeiny is certainly the long term plan and he won't be ready for the start of 2012. At best they see him coming up after ASB like Lawrie did this year. So they want Johnson around for a while.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby Skin Blues » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:34 pm

They save money on the Hill buyout. They get an upgrade at 2B that will either a) accept arbitration and they have him cheap for 1 year when they need a 2B anyway or b) he declines and we get a pick or two. Seems like a win-win to me. They're not guaranteed picks but I think they're more than happy to be rid of Hill and his buyout, and gain a viable 2B option.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 134)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers