BEST MANAGERIAL MOVE SO FAR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

BEST MANAGERIAL MOVE SO FAR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

BEST MANAGERIAL MOVE SO FAR

Postby justinA » Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:59 pm

is easily by Lee Mazzilli in putting Bedard in the rotation and not booting Riley, but the so-called "projected number 2" coming into the season. He made the right call, and I think he should be commended for that. Bedard is sick-nasty and he's only 25 and 3 lefties in your starting 5 is scary.. in a good way.
The Oreos!
justinA
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: BEST MANAGERIAL MOVE SO FAR

Postby KPucks » Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:07 pm

justinA wrote:3 lefties in your starting 5 is scary.. in a good way.

especially when the only other lefty (I think) in the division is Ted Lilly. That gives the O's a nice advantage, although it would be nice if those lefties were a little more seasoned.
KPucks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby justinA » Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:10 pm

KPucks wrote:

especially when the only other lefty (I think) in the division is Ted Lilly. That gives the O's a nice advantage, although it would be nice if those lefties were a little more seasoned.

very true.. but that just makes the anticipation even greater and the possibilites as well. Sportsline's power rankings has the O's as 11! thats 3 spots out of the playoffs! Their comment is that pitching will decide if we can catch the Yanks or BoSox. I think that is quite optimistic, but thats why I cant wait til April 4th.
The Oreos!
justinA
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby EugeneStyles » Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:31 pm

justinA wrote:is easily by Lee Mazzilli in putting Bedard in the rotation and not booting Riley, but the so-called "projected number 2" coming into the season. He made the right call, and I think he should be commended for that. Bedard is sick-nasty and he's only 25 and 3 lefties in your starting 5 is scary.. in a good way.

Thank god somebody mentioned the O's later in this thread, becasue looking at the names in your post, you might as well have been talking about Pee-Wee hockey, for all I know.

3 lefties in your starting 5 doesn't strike me as such a great thing. How many teams have more than 2 or 3 lefties in their regular lineup? Having more than 2 lefties in your rotation seems like a handicap.
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:43 pm

KPucks wrote:

Seasoning's for your steak. I'm sick to death of the Orioles trotting out some crappy veteran (Drabek, Hentgen, Daal, etc..) to post a 6.00+ ERA because they aren't ready to trust the kids. Doesn't anybody remember the "Baby Birds"?

I'll take TALENT over seasoning every day of the week and twice on a Saturday doubleheader.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby KPucks » Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:47 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
KPucks wrote:

Seasoning's for your steak. I'm sick to death of the Orioles trotting out some crappy veteran (Drabek, Hentgen, Daal, etc..) to post a 6.00+ ERA because they aren't ready to trust the kids. Doesn't anybody remember the "Baby Birds"?

I'll take TALENT over seasoning every day of the week and twice on a Saturday doubleheader.

Yeah, but these young O's aren't exactly your cream of the crop talent for young guns. I agree that at least we don't have to watch the oldies anymore, but I don't expect these guys to do all that great either.
KPucks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby timkell » Wed Mar 31, 2004 4:01 am

I'd put in a vote for penciling Jeter in at lead off. Finally, Torre's admitting he's not a power hitter. He's a perfect lead off hitter with a little pop.

That should scare other owners.
timkell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Wed Mar 31, 2004 4:29 am

KPucks wrote:
GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
KPucks wrote:

Yeah, but these young O's aren't exactly your cream of the crop talent for young guns. I agree that at least we don't have to watch the oldies anymore, but I don't expect these guys to do all that great either.

I think you've fallen into the name recognition trap. Dubose, Ainsworth, and Riley, while not "Prior" level prospects have been on top prospect lists continually throughout the late 1990s and early 2000s. Each suffered injury setbacks, which certainly lowers expectations, but each has a very, very good probability of being above average Major League pitchers.

DuBose is a former high round draft pickof the A's who had a few injuries in the minors, yet has done outstanding at every level when he was healthy. In 1997 he was rated by Baseball America as the #2 collegiate baseball prospect.

Ainsworth was one of the top rated minor league pitchers in the SF system before he hurt his arm. He was ranked the #33 top prospect by BaseballPrimer for 2003.

Dayn Perry ranks Riley as the 34th top prospect this year and he's been continually on those types of lists, other than the years he was injured. Before his injury, Riley was often ranked in the top 20 minor league pitching prospects.

None of these guys is likely to be an ace (though it's not beyond their reach), but it would not be surprising to see all three of them develop into solid #2/#3 guys, on the order of Pineiro, Woddy Williams, or Brad Penny.

I'll take that, while I wait for Maine and/or Loewen to become the ace.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby RynMan » Wed Mar 31, 2004 4:29 am

oakland has 3 lefties in their starting rotation, and i think they are fairly solid.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby polyphonic » Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:20 am

does firing grady little count as a managerial move?
serious as a heart attack
makes me feel this way
polyphonic
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers