8/21 Venting, Cheering, Huff's Ding Dongs, and stuff. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

8/21 Venting, Cheering, Huff's Ding Dongs, and stuff.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Why aren't you posting to the daily threads

Poll ended at Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:20 am

'Cus I suck.
19%
'Cus you suck.
19%
Recent case of psoriasis on my fingers.
No votes
Not enough music.
5%
Too much music.
5%
Aubrey Huff is a false idol.
24%
The threads are boring, and need more stuff.
10%
The threads are boring, and need less stuff.
No votes
The death of Elijah Dukes has me bummed.
19%

Total votes : 21

Postby wrveres » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:05 am

Is it me, or are the daily threads dying? When the season began, they were getting close to 100 replies each, now we are lucky to see 20.
Is it da football? Maybe the 7th place blues? What gives?
Maybe we should do weekly instead of daily from here on out. Personally i like the different personalities of the daily threads ... but hmmppffh!

Fresh from the Cafe Press
Wide World of Waivers: Arencibia’s average is a downer, but there aren’t many catchers hitting 20 HRs out there, and Arencibia needs just one to reach that mark. Jarrod Saltalamacchia topped our catcher list last week, and I wanted to move him down but the guys at two through five are doing too well to be knocked off the list right now. Torrealba is hitting .408 over the last two weeks, which is enough to get the nod over John Buck, who has three HRs since August 8. The gap between he and Arencibia really isn’t that big.
Fools
What To Expect From Stephen Strasburg Upon His Return: When he comes back, there's just not much reason to think that Strasburg will be less than what he was before he got hurt. And since, for a lot of pitchers, the replacement ligament is stronger than the original one, Strasburg may be even less of an injury risk now than before. He could still hurt his shoulder, and he could still re-injure his elbow, but it's not like Strasburg's going to be a man of glass. What we could see is Strasburg maybe dialing things back a little. Or maybe he'll throw fewer breaking balls. He could pitch in a way so as to consciously reduce his injury risk. But that isn't a guarantee, and even if he does this, he should still be exceedingly amazing.
How do you pronounce his name? Anybody know?
Lucas Duda: While the Mets likely weren’t planning on having Duda at first for a large portion of their season, that’s the way things have shaken out in Queens. He struggled to make a mark with the inconsistent playing time he got in the early part of the season, but since the Mets have committed to him being in the lineup nearly everyday on July 28, he has rewarded them with a solid line of .288/.364/.500. While that’s a serviceable line, Duda wasn’t providing the power typically associated with first basemen…until August rolled around.
Big Mike.
Be Like Bullock And Keep Big Mike: Mike Stanton is gonna be a Hall of Famer in 25 years. Me, you and the Mayans may not be around to see it, but if a tree falls in the forest does it not make a sound? It does when Stanton bumps into said tree, picks it up and uses it as a toothpick. Stanton’s Frank Thomas without the stupid walks (no offense to real baseball) and it’s not like he can’t take a walk, but what he does is mollywhop with his pony sticks. He could hit 40 homers with ten steals as early as next year. The average may stay in the .260 to .280 range, but whatever. Next year, he’ll only be 22 years old. For keepers, that’s a slam dunk. Whether it’s 2012 fantasy baseball, 2013 fantasy baseball or 1991 fantasy baseball.
Meet the Mess
Waiver Worthy: There was a time that I was a real believer in Mike Pelfrey’s ability to turn it around. Unfortunately, he continues to show that he is simply unable to do so. Sure, he’s had a lot of poor luck in August (.350 BABIP, 59.3% strand rate), but there is no real reason to think that he’s going to show any type of significant improvement. Like Jeff Francis, he offers no upside in the strikeout department. For the year he is at a 4.88 K/9 and since 2008 his best mark is just 5.22. Considering that his groundball rate has regressed over the past three seasons (51.3% to 47.8% to 45.3%), our hope in his ability has got to be quickly diminishing. Maybe one day he will show that he can generate swings and misses (though, his fastball has also been losing zip, down to an average of 91.6 mph) as well as get opposing hitter to bury the ball into the ground. Until that happens he is going to remain a tough play.
NL Starting Pitchers: I get the sense that Vazquez has burned a lot of bridges with fantasy owners, either in previous seasons or with his first 10 starts of 2011. I can’t blame owners for dumping him in May, after all, he had more earned runs to his name than strikeouts on June 1, but things have taken a turn for the better. Since the break, Vazquez has struck out nearly a batter an inning, and has given up more than 3 ER just once: His disaster start against the Padres on July 21. That outing against the Padres — where he should have thrived instead of getting shelled — is emblematic of why Vazquez is owned in just 37 percent of Yahoo leagues and just 15 percent of ESPN leagues: All other things equal, a consistent player is vastly preferable to an inconsistent one, and Vazquez has been tremendously inconsistent. All pitchers carry some risk, but there aren’t many out there who offer the same range of possible production as he does.

If you need a spot starter for someone like Cole Hamels, Jonathan Sanchez, or Tommy Hanson, Vazquez is palatable in small doses, but recommending him for the rest of the season feels like a game of Russian roulette
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 8/21 Venting, Cheering, Huff's Ding Dongs, and stuff.

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:21 am

It's because the season's winding down, and so is summer, that's all. I will be sorely disappointed if they don't make a return for the 2012 season. You've got a lot of H2H teams in cruise control until their playoffs start, a lot of Roto teams out of reach of 1st Place, and as you pointed out, people are more interested in Pre-Season football than the MLB. It's a reality that baseball junkies don't like to face, but they're miles behind football in terms of allegiance it's scary. Just keep on keepin' on with the threads, they rock. ;-D

WARNING: Chucking Harden today.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby AussieDodger » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:42 am

wrveres wrote:Is it me, or are the daily threads dying? When the season began, they were getting close to 100 replies each, now we are lucky to see 20.
Is it da football? Maybe the 7th place blues? What gives?

That's what happens during this part of the season every year, n00b :-b :-b

wrveres wrote:Personally i like the different personalities of the daily threads

Yeah me too

kimchi: English obviously his 2nd language
Charlantern: Absent
Aussie: Crazy like a fox
kab67: Informative
wrveres: Gay\

On a bit of a Skyhooks kick right now:
Was singing this at work all day and this one drives my wife crazy :-b

bigh0rt wrote:WARNING: Chucking Harden today.

BENCH
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby ensanimal » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:54 am

Love the daily threads! How else are we going to know who to sit or start based on Hort's decisions?

Loved Minor and Lewis last night, although Adams kept it from being an almost perfect night for me.
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 112)

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:10 am

ensanimal wrote:Love the daily threads! How else are we going to know who to sit or start based on Hort's decisions?

Bah, this week my SPs have been monsters: Lewis, Morrow, Greinke, Holland, Luebke, even Bedard and Latos... What this means is I'm due for a major implosion, thy name is Harden.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:11 am

And it's DOOOOD-DUHHHH like in 'Dude Where's My Car?'.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby kab21 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:03 am

AussieDodger wrote:
wrveres wrote:Personally i like the different personalities of the daily threads

Yeah me too

kimchi: English obviously his 2nd language
Charlantern: Absent
Aussie: Crazy like a fox
kab67: Informative
wrveres: Gay\

I used to be informative but then I got busy which led to laziness. And now I'm merely happy to get the thread posted with a picture and then complain about 2 of my players. but my teams are on a roll although they have been coasting a little lately. It's time to bring home the BACON. And I love bacon.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby m16a » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:04 am

Well, I'm quiet because I couldn't find a league to play fantasy this year. So, I don't have fantasy related woes to speak of, and I figured people would start getting tired of Phillies stuff, since that's what I pay the most attention to with football right around the corner.
m16a
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe WriterFootball Mod
(Past Year: 13)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BronXBombers51 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:22 am

What happened to August 19th and 20th?

Usually I'm one of the people done with fantasy baseball season at this point but I did my first serious money league this year and I'm pretty sure I'll never be able to play a free league again. I love the daily threads. I don't always post in them but I come to the cafe everyday to read them. Before them I really had stopped coming here for the most part because there wasn't much discussion going on. I'm going to make an effort to post more in these threads down the stretch.

In first place by 7 points right now but it's really tight. Really need my pitchers to keep my ERA and WHIP down as much as possible. Throwing King Felix today and I suppose I have to keep Kuroda in there based on how great he's been.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:58 am

m16a wrote:Well, I'm quiet because I couldn't find a league to play fantasy this year. So, I don't have fantasy related woes to speak of, and I figured people would start getting tired of Phillies stuff, since that's what I pay the most attention to with football right around the corner.

The Eagles were too busy assembling their Dream Team to worry about silly things like stopping the run, eh? O:-)
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers