Trade Vetoed - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Trade Vetoed

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Trade Vetoed

Postby Slapweasel » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:14 pm

12 Team, Yahoo Roto Mixed, 8x8, (x-cat's: 2B, 3B, BB + L, CG, BB), 22 roster spots, 2 DL , 3-4PL, Keepers Drafted First 3-4 Rounds. (Y! Ranks)

I offered him M. Stanton, H. Pence, S. Santos and JJ Hardy
-for-
R. Braun, E. Andrus and F. Liriano

Liriano was just a "throw-in", considering I am out of the money and looking for a SOLID fourth keeper next year. I only need to keep three, so Fielder, Tulowitzki and Pedroia are solid. The trade was vetoed mainly, as one Manager posted, on the disparity between Santos and Liriano. (I suspect other self-preservation issues were afoot, but that's life!)

Was this disparity enough to veto this trade? Should a Keeper trade have to "hurt" the contending manager more? I contend that the point of any trade is to make sense to both sides. Value is what value is. The players I traded away have no value to me, considering the return on R. Braun.

I'm asking/complaining because it currently only takes four votes to veto any trade in our 12-Team league. While I fault myself for not trying to "balance" things more, and instead considering his roster spots, I also wonder if I should really NEED to do that.

I'm considering making it a "Commissioner Veto" next season, (I am the Commissioner), with five votes instead of four to veto a trade. That takes the "emotional button-press" off the table and forces the Managers to either post or email me to veto a trade. It would also mean that it would take at least 50% of the non-involved Managers, instead of a 40% "tyranny-of-the-minority". Considering at least two managers, at any given period during the season, would possibly veto a trade out of self-interest, I think I'm being level-headed about this.

MY ROSTER (6th place, "Out Of The Money")

300 C- Matt Wieters
14 1B- Prince Fielder
13 2B- Dustin Pedroia
74 3B- Ryan Roberts (2B, 3B, OF)
20 SS- Troy Tulowitzki
47 OF- Hunter Pence
54 OF- Mike Stanton
905 OF- Desmond Jennings
126 UT- J.J. Hardy
141 BN- Andre Ethier (OF)
107 BN- Todd Helton (1B)
163 BN- Emilio Bonifacio (3B, SS, OF)
220 BN- Edwin Encarnacion (1B, 3B)
385 BN- Jarrod Saltalamacchia

249 SP- Brandon Morrow
178 SP- Brandon Beachy
226 SP- Jeff Niemann
296 SP- Ivan Nova
228 SP- Matt Latos
406 SP- Jake Peavy
227 RP- Tim Stauffer (SP)
82 RP- Sergio Santos
127 DL- Scott Baker (SP)

HIS ROSTER (1st/2nd Place, "Back-and-Forth, mostly back")

106 C- Brian McCann
21 1B- Joey Votto
130 2B- Neil Walker (3B)
139 3B- Mark Reynolds (1B)
72 SS- Elvis Andrus
5 OF- Ryan Braun
30 OF- Michael Bourn
197 OF- Martin Prado (2B, 3B)
236 UT- Hideki Matsui
95 BN- Matt Joyce (OF)
153 BN- Alex Avila (C)
211 BN- Alfonso Soriano (OF)
473 DL- Jose Tabata (OF)

24 SP- CC Sabathia
10 SP- Clayton Kershaw
27 SP- James Shields
384 SP- John Danks
932 SP- Francisco Liriano
233 SP- Dillon Gee
132 SP- Jholys Chacin (RP)
259 RP- Jason Isrinhausen
114 RP- JJ Putz
494 RP- Bobby Parnell
145 RP- Francisco Rodriguez
-The Self-Proclaimed Voice Of Truth And Reason-
-Your Friendly Neighborhood Slapweasel-
...I'm Your Huckleberry.
Slapweasel
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Trade Vetoed

Postby onitapgr » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:52 pm

This trade is mad fair. I don't see any problem with it at all.

Slapweasel wrote:I'm considering making it a "Commissioner Veto" next season, (I am the Commissioner), with five votes instead of four to veto a trade.

This is a good idea. Managers can post on the board if they have a problem with a trade proposal, or email you privately.
onitapgr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby baegames » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:07 pm

I see no problem with the trade.

If you have a veto system, Commissioner Veto is worse than Voting - puts the power in one person.

I prefer no vetoes. If teams make bad trades, tough on them. If you MUST have a veto system, make everyone who vetoes vote as to which team they think got the better edge. I have seen leagues were trades were vetoed where three teams said Team A got an unfair edge, and three teams said Team B.
baegames
General Manager
General Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 209)

Postby Slapweasel » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:06 pm

The "Commissioner Veto" would be a result of five league votes instead of the Default Yahoo four league votes in a 12-Team League. I would not be the lone arbiter of trades, but members would have to post or email me if they think a trade is unfair.

I have a feeling that at least two of the four votes came from top teams who felt threatened by the trade. I'd like to take the "Look At The Difference In Those Numbers - Screw That!" -option off the table. If Yahoo League members can quickly press a button instead of investigating the meaning behind the trade, it becomes a mindless process... *click veto*.

It becomes more ominous when it only takes four people to veto a trade in a league of twelve.

I saw absolutely nothing wrong with the trade, but four guys did. We're all buddies and I couldn't convince them of my side, so I'm trying to figure out why. The hiding under the "it was lop-sided" defense is gray and meaningless.

I'd like to hear from someone why I was wrong.

Thanks for posting, onitapgr and baegames. It is greatly appreciated.
-The Self-Proclaimed Voice Of Truth And Reason-
-Your Friendly Neighborhood Slapweasel-
...I'm Your Huckleberry.
Slapweasel
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions