8/16 Venting, Cheering and Jim Thome - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

8/16 Venting, Cheering and Jim Thome

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

8/16 Venting, Cheering and Jim Thome

Postby kimchi_chigae » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:33 am

Jim Thome drives a white Pontiac Vibe. He is also a member of the 600 club and sure to be a Hall of Famer. He can drive whatever he wants.

link

How good were those mid 90's Cleveland Indians teams? ;-D

Tuesday's Schedule via mlb.com:

Rays Red Sox GM 1: 1:05pm

James Shields (11-9, 2.80)

Shields had his start Sunday in New York postponed by rain, so he'll go from facing the Wild Card-leading Yankees to facing the AL East-leading Red Sox in the first game of the split doubleheader at Fenway.

Jon Lester (11-6, 3.32)

Lester has a 4.81 ERA in his two starts this month and allowed four runs and eight hits in a loss to Minnesota on Wednesday. There's still hope for a turnaround, especially considering that Lester sported a 1.56 ERA in July.

D-backs Phillies 7:05pm

Josh Collmenter (7-7, 3.51)

Collmenter snapped a two-start losing streak on Wednesday, when he allowed just two runs over seven innings against the Astros at Chase Field. This will be the Phillies' second look at Collmenter, as he threw an inning of relief vs. them in April.

Roy Halladay (15-4, 2.51)

Sunday's rainout gave Halladay the benefit of an extra two days of rest. He's shooting for his league-leading 16th victory and allowed one earned run in his last start against the Dodgers.

Reds Nationals 7:05pm

Mike Leake (10-7, 3.84)

Leake gave the Reds a credible start this past Wednesday in Cincinnati. He worked into the eighth inning, allowing 11 hits, but held Rockies to two runs to record his 10th win. Leake has won two of his last nine decisions, dating back to July 19.

Chien-Ming Wang (1-2, 3.60)

Wang gets two days of extra rest due to Sunday's rainout, and that might be the best thing for him as he continues his return from a two-year absence. His last start came after an extra day's rest, and he shut out Chicago on one hit over six innings.

Twins Tigers 7:05pm

Nick Blackburn (7-9, 4.36)

Blackburn, who had a 11.68 ERA over his previous three starts, looked sharp vs. Boston on Wednesday, allowing one unearned run on six hits over 6 2/3 innings. He said he made a fix with his mechanics and he thinks his sinker will be back on track.

Justin Verlander (17-5, 2.35)

Verlander will try to become the Majors' first 18-game winner this year and stretch his winning streak to six if he can continue his recent success against the Twins. He has allowed three runs over seven innings in back-to-back starts.

Cardinals Pirates 7:05pm

Chris Carpenter (8-8, 3.68)

Carpenter looks to move above .500 for the first time this season and will face the Pirates for the third time in 2011. The right-hander allowed four runs in eight innings in his last visit to PNC Park and has won seven of his last eight decisions.

Jeff Karstens (9-6, 3.04)

Karstens recorded a career-high nine strikeouts in his last start. He's allowed two or fewer earned runs in 14 of 18 starts and hasn't issued a walk in seven of those games. Karstens has won six of his last eight decisions.

Giants Braves 7:10pm

Jonathan Sanchez (4-7, 4.29)

Sanchez exited after just 4 1/3 innings when he gave up five runs (four earned) in his last start against the Pirates. All four batters he walked ended up scoring. The southpaw has not made it out of the fifth inning in his past four starts.

Randall Delgado (0-1, 6.75)

This start originally belonged to Tommy Hanson, but he landed on the disabled list, retroactive to Aug. 7, with right shoulder tendinitis. This will be Delgado's second big league start, and he'll be pitching on normal rest, up from Triple-A.

Rays Red Sox GM 2: 7:10pm

Jeff Niemann (7-4, 3.43)

Niemann scattered nine hits over 6 1/3 innings against the Royals to earn his seventh win of the season despite only two strikeouts. Against the Red Sox on July 17, he pitched eight scoreless innings in a 16-inning, 1-0 loss.

Erik Bedard (4-7, 3.55)

The Red Sox newcomer rebounded from a tumultuous first inning to give up just two runs in five innings last Tuesday at Minnesota. He'll look for his first win in a Boston uniform against the Rays.

Cubs Astros 8:05pm

Ryan Dempster (10-8, 4.70)

Dempster earned his 10th win of the season in his last start with seven innings of one-run ball against the Nationals. He has recorded at least 10 wins in seven of his 14 big league seasons.

Brett Myers (3-12, 4.71)

Myers turned in 7 2/3 strong frames, but a 'pen collapse cost him a win vs. the D-backs on Thursday. The righty held Arizona to three earned runs on six hits and three walks with four strikeouts. Myers is 12-3 lifetime vs. Chicago with a 2.12 ERA.

Indians White Sox 8:10pm

Ubaldo Jimenez (7-9, 4.37)

In his first start at Progressive Field as a member of the Indians, Jimenez allowed just three unearned runs in eight strong innings against the Tigers. The right-hander has 13 strikeouts over 13 innings since being traded.

Gavin Floyd (10-10, 4.53)

Floyd bounced back from his worst outing of the season on Aug. 3 to pick up the victory in Baltimore on Tuesday by allowing just three runs on seven hits over 6 2/3 innings.

Dodgers Brewers 8:10pm

TBD

Yovani Gallardo (13-8, 3.67)

In his last start, Gallardo was victimized by Albert Pujols, who had a homer and two singles off him in St. Louis' win. The righty is 0-3 with a 10.80 ERA in three lifetime starts vs. the Dodgers, but it will be his first game against L.A. in 2011.

Yankees Royals 8:10pm

Ivan Nova (11-4, 3.85)

Nova has earned security in the Yankees' rotation, going 3-0 with a 2.61 ERA in three starts since being recalled from Triple-A on July 30. The rookie is also undefeated over his last eight starts, but the Royals beat him on May 12 in New York.

Danny Duffy (3-6, 4.97)

Duffy improved his command in last Thursday's loss at Tampa Bay, throwing 103 pitches in seven effective innings. The simple explanation from manager Ned Yost: "He threw strikes." This marked the third time he's lasted seven innings in his 15 starts.

Marlins Rockies 8:40pm

Anibal Sanchez (6-6, 4.00)

Sanchez, who remains winless over his past 11 starts in a career-long skid, went a season-low 1 2/3 innings in a loss to the Braves. He allowed five runs on seven hits, throwing 59 pitches. He is 2-0 with a 1.74 ERA lifetime against the Rockies.

Jhoulys Chacin (9-9, 3.39)

Chacin's last start resulted in his second complete game of the season, when he held the Reds to two runs and six hits and tied a career high with nine strikeouts but absorbed a 2-1 loss at Great American Ball Park.

Orioles Athletics 10:05pm

Brian Matusz (1-4, 8.77)

The 24-year-old Matusz will be recalled prior to the game and make his first Major League start since June 30. Projected to be the Orioles' No. 2 starter, Matusz will try to regain form after a strong pair of starts in Triple-A.

Guillermo Moscoso (5-6, 3.52)

Moscoso won his last start in Toronto, allowing one earned run in six innings. He's 3-2 since going winless in seven June appearances (five starts). He has nine strikeouts over his last 10 innings.

Mets Padres 10:05pm

Jon Niese (11-9, 4.03)

Niese was outstanding Thursday against the Padres, striking out seven and walking two in 7 2/3 innings. Niese allowed two earned runs and made it past six innings for the first time in five starts. His 122 pitches tied a career high.

Cory Luebke (4-6, 3.09)

Luebke faced the Mets in his last outing; he allowed two earned runs and struck out eight in five innings. He is 2-0 with 17 strikeouts in his past two appearances and has allowed two runs or fewer in seven of his past nine starts.

Rangers Angels 10:05pm

Derek Holland (10-4, 4.30)

Holland showed progress in his most recent start, stranding nine Mariners runners in six innings, and avoiding the big inning that has haunted him.

Tyler Chatwood (6-8, 4.07)

Chatwood pitched well enough to win against a tough Yankees lineup on Aug. 11, but remains winless in his last three starts and has won just once in his last seven outings.

Blue Jays Mariners 10:10pm

Brad Mills (1-2, 6.46)

Mills allowed six runs in just three innings during his last start against Oakland. He struck out five but allowed five hits and two walks and wasn't able to avoid a big third inning. Mills is now 1-2 with a 6.46 ERA in three starts this year.

Jason Vargas (7-10, 4.01)

The lefty bore down in Arlington for his seventh win Wednesday, throwing 121 pitches in seven innings. It was his longest outing in terms of innings pitched since July 6 and his longest in terms of pitches thrown.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 8/16 Venting, Cheering and Jim Thome

Postby AussieDodger » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:32 am

So these early guys from the draft did not sign:
21. Blue Jays - Tyler Beede - did not sign
54. Padres - Brett Austin - did not sign

Purke DID sign for 4 years, $4.4mil :-b

It looks a bit dodgy that picks 11 and 12 (George Springer :-L and Taylor Jungmann) both signed for $2.525mil. Collusion much? :-b

So much for Safeco Field sapping RH power, Casper Wells with 3 consecutive games there with a HR, and 4 of his last 5. :-D
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby wrveres » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:37 am

Luebke faced the Mets in his last outing; he allowed two earned runs and struck out eight in five innings. He is 2-0 with 17 strikeouts in his past two appearances and has allowed two runs or fewer in seven of his past nine starts ..
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 641)

Postby bigken117 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:24 am

nice job by the real life Pirates getting Bell signed

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:03 am

Don't think I have the cajones, since I suddenly find myself 1 game out of the playoffs and facing a team who if I beat could very well put me in the last spot... but I digress; Delgado could be a very nice spot start against the hapless G-Men.

Me? I'm chucking Holland, Bedard, and Luebke, so don't say I didn't warn you.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby RedHopeful » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:28 am

kimchi - I'd say that's too many hands all over Manny... :-X
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby urbanbreez » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:57 am

Who has the solid brass ones to start Karstens against STL today?
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby kab21 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:12 pm

All kinds of terrible things could happen today. After Verlander I have Bills, Gallardo and Holland going for my H2H team. The news is a little better in roto since I have Lester throwing.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 159)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:12 pm

urbanbreez wrote:Who has the solid brass ones to start Karstens against STL today?

I do! I have he and Lester going today to try to keep me firmly slotted in the playoffs.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby urbanbreez » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:14 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
urbanbreez wrote:Who has the solid brass ones to start Karstens against STL today?

I do! I have he and Lester going today to try to keep me firmly slotted in the playoffs.

your confidence is enough to push me towards starting him. :-o
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers