I have a mess - WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

I have a mess - WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I have a mess - WHIR

Postby ptb6577 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:19 pm

I am a 14-team mixed cumulative points (1 point for hit, etc.) league and in dead last as an expansion team this year.
However, I have traded off a lot of parts and next year in the draft, I will have picks
1, 1, 2, 3, 4, 4, 4, 5, 5, 6, 6, 7, 7, 8, 8, 10, 11, 13, 14, 14, 16, 17
in a 22-round draft that is non-snake (it is like the NFL where worst team picks first each round).
Any keeper you can keep for eternity if you like. Each team keeps 5 players and middle infielders are usually in short supply on draft day. We start 9 hitters (eight positions and DH) and 5 SP and 2 RP.
Looking ahead to my keepers (because that is all I have to look forward to really):
I have Felix Hernandez, Joey Votto, and Adam Wainwright (got him in 21st round of this year's draft) as definite keepers.

My question marks come from this group (in no particular order):
Melky Cabrera (entering his prime), Jason Kipnis, JP Arencibia (position scarcity for 20-HR power), Matt Joyce, Jemile Weeks, Zack Cozart, Shin-Soo Choo, Bryce Harper, Mike Trout, Derek Holland, Corey Luebke, Roy Oswalt, Jordan Zimmermann, Yu Darvish.

My question is two-fold:
A. Do any of these stick out as two likely candidates or should I trade away some of my draft picks for other teams' 6th and 7th options during offseason?
B. Am I wasting roster spots on guys like Trout, Harper and Darvish or do they have special value because you can keep them forever? My plan if I throw Harper back in the draft is to get all of my starting lineup (except RPs) by the end of the fifth round and take Harper in the 6th round.
Your help is appreciated.
ptb6577
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: I have a mess - WHIR

Postby fierro33 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:59 pm

I think J Zimm stands out and should be kept....the others id pass. Harper and Trout have proven absolutley NOTHING

viewtopic.php?t=436284
fierro33
General Manager
General Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 210)

Re: I have a mess - WHIR

Postby coldfusion » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:49 pm

Harper will be a stud and given your team's current position it's definitely worth it to keep him around. As for the rest, I'd keep Mike Trout or Jason Kipnis as your 5th guy. Darvish isn't even guaranteed to come over from Japan yet, and if he does isn't guaranteed success (see Dice-K). Melky is having a flukey year with no past history of success to back it up, catchers are actually easier to come by then you may think, Joyce is always going to be a fringy power-type outfielder that's replaceable, Weeks and Cozart will struggle to hit for power, Choo has a lower ceiling than Harper/Trout, and pitchers are always risky propositions in keepers.

Help with mine?

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=436291
coldfusion
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions