Keeper League Advice please... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Keeper League Advice please...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Keeper League Advice please...

Postby TheGhost » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:41 pm

I need help with who I should keep!!!!

So I play in a ten team, H2H, yahoo league that keeps 6 players. We keep two players drafted in rounds 1-5, two drafted in rounds 6-10, and two drafted in rounds 11-23. We also lose a round (i.e. If James Shields was drafted in round 10, you have to keep him for a 9th round pick).

Here's my roster:

C: Matt Wieters (12th rd.)
1B: Lance Berkman (FA)
2B: Dan Uggla (3rd rd.)
3B: Kevin Youkilis (3rd rd.)
SS: Elvis Andrus (9th rd.)
OF: Mike Stanton (8th rd.)
OF: Jay Bruce (7th rd.)
OF: Michael Morse (22nd rd.)
UTL: Jason Heyward (5th rd.)
UTL: Eric Hosmer (FA)

BN:Starlin Castro (17th)
DL: Carlos Gonzalez (1st rd.)

Pitchers: Roy Halladay (2nd rd.), Yovanni Gallardo (6th rd.), Jeremy Hellickson (15th rd), Daniel Hudson (13th rd.), Michael Pineda (22nd rd.), Matt Garza (19th rd.), Trevor Cahill (14th rd.), Shaun Marcum (11th rd.), Derek Holland (FA)

RP: Joakim Soria (9th rd.), Fernando Salas (FA), Andrew Bailey (15th rd.)

DL: Roy Oswalt (10th rd.)

My initial thoughts are that I would keep: Starlin Castro, Michael Pineda, Eric Hosmer, Jay Bruce, Mike Stanton, and Morse or Berkman.

I feel all of these guys have great keeper value and I would get the majority of my draft back. Thoughts? Advice?

Also, Bryce Harper and Mike Trout are both free agents... should I not keep one of the guys above and pick up one of these super prospects? If so, which one? I could essentially have them for free for the rest of their careers. Only would want one though. THANK YOU!!!! WHIR!
TheGhost
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 1780
(Past Year: 101)
Joined: 9 Dec 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Keeper League Advice please...

Postby ATLbraves » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:01 pm

I like your keepers a lot, and I would keep Morse over Berkman. Morse has looked great this year and he has very good keeper value. What round would Berkman be though since he was a FA?

And even though Trout should be in the majors at the start of next season, and Harper might not be, I would still take Harper since he has more potential.



help with mine please:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=436257
Image

Free Fantasy Consultant - https://twitter.com/FantasyChat247

Twitter - @FantasyChat247
ATLbraves
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2653
Joined: 19 May 2011
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Keeper League Advice please...

Postby TheGhost » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:11 pm

ATLbraves wrote:I like your keepers a lot, and I would keep Morse over Berkman. Morse has looked great this year and he has very good keeper value. What round would Berkman be though since he was a FA?

And even though Trout should be in the majors at the start of next season, and Harper might not be, I would still take Harper since he has more potential.



help with mine please:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=436257


Thanks for the advice and to answer your question... Berkman would be a last round keeper so his value is right around where Morse's value is.

So would you rather "keep" Morse or Harper given their value is the same?
TheGhost
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 1780
(Past Year: 101)
Joined: 9 Dec 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Keeper League Advice please...

Postby ATLbraves » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:14 pm

TheGhost wrote:
ATLbraves wrote:I like your keepers a lot, and I would keep Morse over Berkman. Morse has looked great this year and he has very good keeper value. What round would Berkman be though since he was a FA?

And even though Trout should be in the majors at the start of next season, and Harper might not be, I would still take Harper since he has more potential.



help with mine please:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=436257


Thanks for the advice and to answer your question... Berkman would be a last round keeper so his value is right around where Morse's value is.

So would you rather "keep" Morse or Harper given their value is the same?


Well Harper has much more upside, so most likely him. But if you dont want to wait around for his production then go with Morse since he should have playing time immediately next season.




help with mine please:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=436257
Image

Free Fantasy Consultant - https://twitter.com/FantasyChat247

Twitter - @FantasyChat247
ATLbraves
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2653
Joined: 19 May 2011
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Keeper League Advice please...

Postby HOOTIE » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:49 pm

I wouldn't keep Castro. Yea he hits for average, but no pop, and little sb.
Pineda/Hosmer/Morse/Bruce/Stanton for sure.
The last spot is tough. Berkman tough to let go.
If Trout or Harper don't play all year, they will hurt you at least next year.
I would only go Trout or Harper, if you intend to keep them forever.
Then i go Harper. But i go Harper or Trout over Castro.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Posts: 15115
(Past Year: 297)
Joined: 12 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Re: Keeper League Advice please...

Postby TheGhost » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:51 pm

HOOTIE wrote:I wouldn't keep Castro. Yea he hits for average, but no pop, and little sb.
Pineda/Hosmer/Morse/Bruce/Stanton for sure.
The last spot is tough. Berkman tough to let go.
If Trout or Harper don't play all year, they will hurt you at least next year.
I would only go Trout or Harper, if you intend to keep them forever.
Then i go Harper. But i go Harper or Trout over Castro.


You wouldn't keep Pineda?
TheGhost
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 1780
(Past Year: 101)
Joined: 9 Dec 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Keeper League Advice please...

Postby HOOTIE » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:09 am

TheGhost wrote:
HOOTIE wrote:I wouldn't keep Castro. Yea he hits for average, but no pop, and little sb.
Pineda/Hosmer/Morse/Bruce/Stanton for sure.
The last spot is tough. Berkman tough to let go.
If Trout or Harper don't play all year, they will hurt you at least next year.
I would only go Trout or Harper, if you intend to keep them forever.
Then i go Harper. But i go Harper or Trout over Castro.


You wouldn't keep Pineda?

Yes,i kept him above.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Posts: 15115
(Past Year: 297)
Joined: 12 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Re: Keeper League Advice please...

Postby TheGhost » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:35 am

HOOTIE wrote:
TheGhost wrote:
HOOTIE wrote:I wouldn't keep Castro. Yea he hits for average, but no pop, and little sb.
Pineda/Hosmer/Morse/Bruce/Stanton for sure.
The last spot is tough. Berkman tough to let go.
If Trout or Harper don't play all year, they will hurt you at least next year.
I would only go Trout or Harper, if you intend to keep them forever.
Then i go Harper. But i go Harper or Trout over Castro.


You wouldn't keep Pineda?

Yes,i kept him above.


Whoops, sorry. How do you think my keepers look overall? Do I have a good foundation for the future?

Castro... so I hadn't really thought about not keeping him for this reason. SS is so shallow and obviously Tulo won't be available. I get a good price on a young SS and don't have to worry about anything. I'd prefer Andrus but I'd have to draft him in the 8th round and then couldn't keep Bruce or Stanton. I just hate being stuck with a crappy SS. Know what I mean? And don't you think Castro could develop into something more? Cheers!
TheGhost
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 1780
(Past Year: 101)
Joined: 9 Dec 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Keeper League Advice please...

Postby HOOTIE » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:09 am

I love Bruce and Stanton.
Morse is underrated, and i think the power is legit.
Hosmer has a nice ceiling.
Pineda needs to develop another pitch, but is solid.
If you like Castro, keep him.
6 hrs and 12 sb is pretty weak though for a keeper.
Yes his average is nice, and his runs and rbis decent for a SS.
Could he be more? Sure, he's only 21.
But his upside isn't close to Harper or Trout imo.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Posts: 15115
(Past Year: 297)
Joined: 12 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Re: Keeper League Advice please...

Postby CyboNinja » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:40 am

Seriously...?
Last edited by CyboNinja on Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
CyboNinja
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 581
(Past Year: 96)
Joined: 2 Jun 2011
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Metro Detroit

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Surfs up and 8 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Wednesday, Oct. 22
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

San Francisco at Kansas City
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact