How would you handle this situation? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

How would you handle this situation?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How would you handle this situation?

Postby Jiu » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:22 am

With our league site (Fanstar) trade proposals do not expire. A few months ago, an owner proposed a trade to another owner. This trade was neither accepted nor declined, and just sat there. Eventually, the owner that proposed the trade forgot about it and it just remained there untouched.

Yesterday, the trade was accepted by the other party. Here is the trade:

Jose Bautista
for
Jacoby Ellsbury
Josh Beckett
Carlos Marmol

The team receiving Bautista is the one that initially proposed the trade. He admits that he had forgotten about that trade because it was proposed so long ago. However, he did say that he was fine with it.

Another league member is very upset, saying that it is too unbalanced and would destroy the integrity of the league. This is a points-based keeper league by the way.

What do you think should be done in this situation?
Jiu
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How would you handle this situation?

Postby Court Jester » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:51 pm

tough call and at least a nudge to maybe create your own future league rule limiting trade offers to a certain period of time.....even if the site does not expire them.

With Bautista still being who he is, not sure of the whole "ruin the integrity of the league" thing. especially not knowing the number or rules for keepers. but with Ellsbury on fire, it certainly looks somewhat one-sided

Guess I would feel that if the owner who proposed it still is okay with the trade.....and not looking to quit the league, the trade should go through. The reality is that stupid moves are allowed at the draft (without the whole ruin the league bit) and stupid moves are also allowed during the season.

However, the commish may want to post a poll about trade offer duration to avoid future griping.
Court Jester
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby mkultra » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:38 pm

Oy, such a tough call. I agree with Court Jester in principle that you should add an expiry time to trades, but I don't know how enforceable it is- I'm pretty sure the sites don't support it. What are you going to do, make everyone who does a trade send in a timestamped email of the offer?

If both owners are willing to do the trade, your only option is following your league's veto process? If you don't have one, you're SOL. If it's vote-based, I think that would get negged pretty easily. If it's a commish decision, I think it's totally reasonable to take an authoritarian stance here, given how old the trade is and how much the landscape has changed since then.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby hockeykidb3 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:04 am

if the person hasn't realized that the trade was still there for months it sounds to me that he doesn't pay much attention to the league anymore and may not care that much, ellsbury is now at the top of the player rater and is by himself better than bautista right now, also beckett is a great pitcher who can only get better, he has one of the top ERA in the league and has gotten unlucky with run support as he averages like 3.6 runs support per game while the other sox starters all average over 6, so he has pitched great and his win total shoud increase as hes just been unlucky, i feel the trade is lopsided as i own bautista and hes cooled off considerably since the all-star break, i think that this trade should be vetoed bc at this point it is lopsided and unfair
hockeykidb3
College Coach
College Coach

Postby converge241 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:52 pm

The trade should not be vetoed, its lopsided but allowable. The sending owner shoupd have retracted it. Voiding would have to be agreed on by the 2 owners.
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Postby Slapweasel » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:51 pm

There is no reason to reverse this, punitively. We reap what we sow and forgetting about an offer is negligence, just as not responding to trade offers is negligence. The "integrity of the league" had been compromised long before the deal went through. I would allow for a "majority veto" from the non-trading members of the league. Decision to be final.
-The Self-Proclaimed Voice Of Truth And Reason-
-Your Friendly Neighborhood Slapweasel-
...I'm Your Huckleberry.
Slapweasel
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Commissioner's Corner