Price and Freeman for Felix WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Price and Freeman for Felix WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Price and Freeman for Felix WHIR

Postby KobraCola » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:50 pm

My team:
C: Mike Napoli
1B: Paul Konerko
2B: Brett Lawrie
3B: Evan Longoria
SS: Jose Reyes
OF: Drew Stubbs
OF: Ichiro Suzuki
OF: Jason Bourgeois
Util: Cameron Maybin
Util: Logan Morrison
BN: Brandon Phillips (benched because of injury today)
BN: Corey Hart (ditto Phillips)

SP: Felix Hernandez
SP: Matt Cain
RP: Ryan Madson
RP: Mark Melancon
P: Jason Isringhausen
P: Chris Perez
P: Vance Worley
P: Kevin Correia (only spot-starting him)
BN: Brandon Morrow
BN: Anibal Sanchez
BN: Jeremy Hellickson
DL: Jair Jurrjens
Standard H2H 12-team mixed league

Today, I was offered his David Price and Freddie Freeman for my Felix Hernandez. In batting categories, from worst to best, I'm tied for 9th in RBI, tied for 8th in HR, 6th in R, 5th in AVG, and 2nd in SB. So I need RBI/HR/R the most in that order. In pitching categories, from worst to best, I'm 11th in ERA, 9th in WHIP, 5th in Saves, and 3rd in both Wins and K's. As far as I can tell, Felix's and Price's schedules are of similar difficulty, with Price's being slightly harder because he's in the AL East. Furthermore, Felix usually pitches deeper into games and consequently gets more K's per start on average. I also think Felix will have a better ERA/WHIP for the rest of the season. So Felix seems to be slightly better than Price, but I could use Freeman's power. I consider both Correia and Bourgeois to be very expendable, and I would slot Freddie into a Utility spot, so I would have no trouble with playing him. Another consideration is I could essentially give up the ERA category weekly (and possibly even the WHIP cat) and stream pitchers for the rest of the season. And Price could get more wins because he has a better batting team behind him, though it seems that Felix will K more. But it worries me that Price has been somewhat significantly worse lately, so I wonder if he'll continue to pitch badly. Should I make the trade? Thank you and WHIR.
KobraCola
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Price and Freeman for Felix WHIR

Postby sigriffey » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:07 pm

With so many innings from last year's playoff run, as well as the yanks, sox, and improved jays lineups looming in September, I'd steer clear of price. He has been shaky of late and Felix actually seems to be turning it on now. I'd shop just for Freeman. Maybe leverage one of your speedsters and backend starters for Freeman and hang onto king Felix when the games against Oakland and Anaheim are plentiful.
sigriffey
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 12)

Postby sigriffey » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:07 pm

Sorry ... Forgot. Can you please help?
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=436127
sigriffey
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 12)

Postby stevel2113 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:15 pm

I also think you should stay away from Price. Though everyone knows his talent and how he can be a dominant pitcher, I still think Felix is better and always seems to go deep into games. From the looks of it your pitching stats are pretty solid but i agree that you need some power numbers and Freeman could help with that. You have a lot of speed and could trade one of your base burners for a player who can give you both HRs and RBIs, getting a boost in 2 categories in exchange for losing a little in one. I personally also have a tough time giving up my aces in any situation so thats another reason I wouldnt give up felix but that may just be me.
stevel2113
T-Ball Trainer

Postby KobraCola » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:17 pm

sigriffey wrote:With so many innings from last year's playoff run, as well as the yanks, sox, and improved jays lineups looming in September, I'd steer clear of price. He has been shaky of late and Felix actually seems to be turning it on now. I'd shop just for Freeman. Maybe leverage one of your speedsters and backend starters for Freeman and hang onto king Felix when the games against Oakland and Anaheim are plentiful.

The innings is a good point I hadn't considered, but the interesting thing about their schedules is that Felix's is only SLIGHTLY easier than Price's. Felix faces a team worse than average twice for the rest of the season (I believe the A's and the Angels once a piece), but Price faces the Mariners once anyway, as the only team worse than average he will face again. But Price HAS been super shaky of late. And I didn't really consider counter-trading yet, so that's a good idea too.

EDIT: Hosmer is also available on the FA list, and he essentially does the same things Freeman does, so reject this trade and just take Hosmer?
KobraCola
College Coach
College Coach

Postby juliown1028 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:40 pm

With Hosmer available I'd say no to the trade. Both Freeman's and Hosmer's rates of production have been very similar, I'm not exactly sure who I'd take over the other. I'd say the difference between Hosmer and Freeman in the long run is marginal, but the difference between Felix and Price is much bigger.

Felix and Hosmer > Price and Freeman, so no.
"Chuck Norris has been known to throw a baseball 100 mph. I've been known to throw Chuck Norris 100 mph." - Brian Wilson
juliown1028
College Coach
College Coach

Postby MadDog36 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:52 am

Price is no slouch, scheduling aside. But Felix is a beast. I'd want a slightly more proven second player. Its actually not a terrible offer, but I'd pass.
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 2001)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions