My Ethier and Santos for Mariano and Ogando WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

My Ethier and Santos for Mariano and Ogando WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

My Ethier and Santos for Mariano and Ogando WHIR

Postby sigriffey » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:47 pm

Yes or No?

I give: Andre Ethier and Sergio Santos
I get: Mariano Rivera and Alexi Ogando

12 Team H2H. We Only Keep 6 Players Season to Season, each for 3 years max. * means contract year

Stat Cats: R, 1B, 2B, 3B, HR, RBI, SB, BB, AVG -- IP, CG, W, L, ER, ERA, K, SV, WHIP

MY TEAM:

C V. Martinez
1B Mi. Cabrera
2B D. Pedroia
3B D. Wright
SS H. Ramirez
OF J. Ellsbury
OF C. Crawford*
OF C. Gonzalez
UT P. Fielder
UT A. Ethier
UT B. Lawrie
BN E. Bonifacio
DL I. Davis
DL A. Rodriguez

SP R. Halladay
SP F. Hernandez
SP T. Hanson
RP J. Walden
RP S. Santos
P M. Cain
P Z. Greinke*
P Y. Gallardo
BN W. Rodriguez
BN B. Beachy
BN M. Harrison
BN J. Sanchez
sigriffey
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: My Ethier and Santos for Mariano and Ogando WHIR

Postby sigriffey » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:56 pm

Bump any help? He proposed
sigriffey
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic

Postby BUCCOFAN » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:03 pm

I like it, you could use help @ closers, Mariano is solid.

Santos is probably going to be replaced by Sale soon, or it will at the least be a committee
BUCCOFAN
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 278)

Postby stevel2113 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:27 pm

I don't think this trade does a whole lot for you. Mariano is nasty but I think Santos isn't in too much danger of losing his role as closer. I also think you are already pretty loaded on your pitching staff and you don't really need Ogando. Even though Ethier's power numbers aren't there this year, he is still a solid player. You have some big names on your team who aren't having their usual stellar seasons. I think you should hold on to Ethier and if you are looking for a trade, maybe trade a pitcher. Or if you are looking forward big time to the future, if you went through with the trade, Ogando or another pitcher could be great trade bait to get something you really need. I personally don't see this one being great for you
stevel2113
T-Ball Trainer

Postby KobraCola » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:33 pm

I like it as well, Ethier has been a bit sub-par this season and with the Dodgers front office in a sh!thole right now, there's no telling when the Dodgers will really compete again any time soon. BUCCOFAN also brings up a good point, although I'm not sure if he's right. At the very least, Rivera is more guaranteed to close than Santos and the Yanks have a better offense, so he will probably have more closing chances. Ogando makes me a bit hesitant cause he's been due for regression for a while, but he's stayed good and I think your pitching staff could easily withstand a bad start or 2 by him. So I would make the trade.
KobraCola
College Coach
College Coach

Postby sigriffey » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:39 pm

KobraCola wrote:I like it as well, Ethier has been a bit sub-par this season and with the Dodgers front office in a sh!thole right now, there's no telling when the Dodgers will really compete again any time soon. BUCCOFAN also brings up a good point, although I'm not sure if he's right. At the very least, Rivera is more guaranteed to close than Santos and the Yanks have a better offense, so he will probably have more closing chances. Ogando makes me a bit hesitant cause he's been due for regression for a while, but he's stayed good and I think your pitching staff could easily withstand a bad start or 2 by him. So I would make the trade.

I should provide some context:

My pitching has been ailing terribly. Very worried about Hanson and I flat out don't trust Wandy, jonathan Sanchez and Harrison. With Ogando, the hope would be that I can snare a guy who is likely to pitch well and get me wins without getting bombed.

As an alternative, someone offered me Kershaw, Ubaldo and Salas for My Cargo and Felix but I would be getting g 3 non keepers and it feels like a lateral move.
sigriffey
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic

Postby ATLbraves » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:31 am

KobraCola wrote:I like it as well, Ethier has been a bit sub-par this season and with the Dodgers front office in a sh!thole right now, there's no telling when the Dodgers will really compete again any time soon. BUCCOFAN also brings up a good point, although I'm not sure if he's right. At the very least, Rivera is more guaranteed to close than Santos and the Yanks have a better offense, so he will probably have more closing chances. Ogando makes me a bit hesitant cause he's been due for regression for a while, but he's stayed good and I think your pitching staff could easily withstand a bad start or 2 by him. So I would make the trade.

Sorry it took me so long.

I agree with KobraCola and BUCCOFAN, this is a good deal for you. But I would first attempt to see if he can offer you a slightly more proven pitcher then Ogando. You do need some more pitching depth but dont sell short on Ethier, even though he is lacking the power he is still an everyday producer.

Free Fantasy Consultant - https://twitter.com/FantasyChat247

Twitter - @FantasyChat247
ATLbraves
General Manager
General Manager

Postby MadDog36 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:42 am

Blah. I like this move b/c you have OF depth obviously, but I think you should do a little better here. Ogando came from no where and Mariano isn't getting any younger. Santos is solid and oh by the way Sale will move into the rotation next year..with some potential FAs leaving Chicago's rotation he will be a starter next season.

Pass on this deal.
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1943)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions