I'm On Trial For Collusion - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

I'm On Trial For Collusion

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I'm On Trial For Collusion

Postby pmstick » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:17 pm

We're in the fifth year of our 12-teamer. It's a very competitive non-keeper CBS points league. I have been making a ton of pick-ups and trades and have built myself a nice little powerhouse. I am the only one that has successfully made trades, a total of eight now. I know what these guys like (Red Sox fans, Yankee fans, etc.) and I sell-high, buy-low etc. from time to time. Here's the previous trades:

1. 5/5 Asdrubal Cabrera and Tim Hudson for Jose Reyes : GUY I KNOW FROM THE DRAFT
2. 5/8 Jair Jurrjens for Wandy Rodriguez and Joakim Soria : FRIEND
3. 5/11 Jake Arrieta for John Danks : FRIEND
4. 6/10 Aaron Hill for Carlos Beltran : FRIEND
5. 6/11 Jhonny Peralta for Chad Billingsley : FRIEND
6. 6/23 Jed Lowrie, Nick Markakis, Andrew Miller and Ryan Vogelsong for Carlos Gonzalez : FRIEND
7. 6/26 Jon Lester and Carlos Beltran for Tim Lincecum : GUY I KNOW FROM THE DRAFT

This last one has leaguers up-in-arms:
8. 8/4 Chad Billingsley and Daniel Murphy for Tommy Hanson and Sam Fuld (who I dropped) : FRIEND

I discussed the Hanson deal with the owner over beers and offered him much more and he came back with trade #8 which he liked. The commish and a few players were especially upset about this one and have gotten increasingly annoyed with my wheeling and dealing.

What should I do?
Last edited by pmstick on Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
12 Team H2H

C Posey (1B)
1B Butler
2B Pedroia
SS Andrus
3B Prado (2B, OF)
OF Harper, Heyward, Craig (1B)
UTL Jennings
SP Darvish, Latos, Cobb, Moore
RP Balfour

B Burnett, Ross, Wood, Dickey, Porcello, Kennedy
B Eaton

DL Holland+
pmstick
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: I'm On Trial For Collusion

Postby pmstick » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:09 pm

The other owners' frustration goes a bit deeper I think. I am good friends with about half of these guys and discuss fantasy over beers from time to time, while the other half I see at the draft once a year.

I stay on top of the waiver-wire and know which guys get down on their players or are high on my players and I offer a lot of trades.

The problem is that some of these guys that I'm friendly with get to the point where they need a roster shakeup and I offer them some nice packages for an upgrade and they feel comfortable taking it from me. I hope it is because I am offering better deals and is not because of a "I'd rather trade him to you than _____".

So I ask again, am I wrong for making so many trades with willing owners?
12 Team H2H

C Posey (1B)
1B Butler
2B Pedroia
SS Andrus
3B Prado (2B, OF)
UTL Jennings
RP Balfour

B Eaton

DL Holland+
pmstick
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mkultra » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:01 am

What exactly is the point of contention here? That you're making so many trades? Please. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. If other managers are so upset that you've been able to finagle trades out of other managers, then they just need to try harder, period.

I often play in leagues where I know some managers IRL, others not. I do tend to make more trades with people I'm closer to socially- that's just natural, since we often talk smack about our leagues when we see each other.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby pmstick » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:32 am

mkultra wrote:What exactly is the point of contention here? That you're making so many trades? Please. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. If other managers are so upset that you've been able to finagle trades out of other managers, then they just need to try harder, period.

I often play in leagues where I know some managers IRL, others not. I do tend to make more trades with people I'm closer to socially- that's just natural, since we often talk smack about our leagues when we see each other.

Yeah it kinda just blew over. With Daniel Murphy getting a season-ender yesterday it only made it look worse.
12 Team H2H

C Posey (1B)
1B Butler
2B Pedroia
SS Andrus
3B Prado (2B, OF)
UTL Jennings
RP Balfour

B Eaton

DL Holland+
pmstick
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Court Jester » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:38 pm

Not sure if you are also offering trades to the "non friends", but anytime a league has two separate blocks of owners, one can hear gripes from the other block. And with most of the trades early in the year, even if the other teams were in last place, I would need to see overt collusion.

That said, if the league is a $ league and you approach the other block of owners with comments that "I know" and "I sell high, buy low", then you are not helping yourself win others over. I am not sure how deep your rosters are, but the reality is that there are some pretty bad trades mixed in there. Do I think there is collusion........it does not sound - but there must have been a real lot of alcohol involved to see the impatience and lack of judgement of others in your league.

Waz
Court Jester
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Commissioner's Corner