Royals call up Giavotella - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Royals call up Giavotella

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Royals call up Giavotella

Postby Tavish » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:25 am

The Royals have promoted 2b Johnny Giavotella to the majors and are expecting him to see action in about 5 games per week for the rest of the season. He might not be a top fantasy player, but for deeper leagues he should be a strong BA guy with a very good eye. Down the road he should be a .300/10 HR / 15 SB type player.

This also means that Chris Getz will likely be moving to more of a utility role with the team and will likely see less playing time. First word from the club is that the utility infielder Navarro is being sent down (not official yet and there are several other possibilities).

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Royals call up Giavotella

Postby J35J » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:41 am

Woot! Good news. I'd rather just see Navarro stay up and Getz can go but I'm fine either way...just glad to see Johnny get his shot, he's been raking!
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby PlayingWithFire » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:47 pm

Tavish wrote:Down the road he should be a .300/10 HR / 15 SB type player.

.300/10HR/15SB guy with bad defense, does that remind anybody of a guy who we just traded?
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby J35J » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:25 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:

.300/10HR/15SB guy with bad defense, does that remind anybody of a guy who we just traded?

At least Johnny "should/could" have a better bet of having a .350OBP to go with that .300avg as opposed to the guy we just traded and his .320OBP to go with his .300avg.

As far as the Aviles trade goes I think Navarro can certainly be just as good if not better than Aviles as he probably has just as much power/speed....less avg but takes a walk at a higher rate so the OBP should be similar if not better for Navarro and Navarro should play better defense. Not to mention Navarro is 23 and Aviles is 30.....and we get a arm to go with him.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Tavish » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:42 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:

Aviles reached the Royals (and likely had his peak season) at age 27. Giavotella just turned 24 and should be better if not at least equal to Aviles in basically every aspect of the game right now with plenty of time to improve even further. Their fantasy lines may end up looking fairly similar but I don't think it will be even close in terms of real value when all is said and done.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter

Postby PlayingWithFire » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:27 pm

J35J wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:

At least Johnny "should/could" have a better bet of having a .350OBP to go with that .300avg as opposed to the guy we just traded and his .320OBP to go with his .300avg.

As far as the Aviles trade goes I think Navarro can certainly be just as good if not better than Aviles as he probably has just as much power/speed....less avg but takes a walk at a higher rate so the OBP should be similar if not better for Navarro and Navarro should play better defense. Not to mention Navarro is 23 and Aviles is 30.....and we get a arm to go with him.

Oh, I'm not bitter with Aviles leaving at all. I'm shocked that we got 2 guys for him. I'm not sure Navarro is all that great but saying he can do better than the 2011 Aviles isn't too much of a stretch I think and Volz might be a good bullpen arm down the line. I'm just saying that Gio's upside is pretty limited as well. Not an exciting prospect if I may say so.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby J35J » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:25 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:
J35J wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:

Oh, I'm not bitter with Aviles leaving at all. I'm shocked that we got 2 guys for him. I'm not sure Navarro is all that great but saying he can do better than the 2011 Aviles isn't too much of a stretch I think and Volz might be a good bullpen arm down the line. I'm just saying that Gio's upside is pretty limited as well. Not an exciting prospect if I may say so.

No, Gio isn't much in the grand scheme of things....but upgrading Getz is fairly exciting as a Royals fans...we don't exactly have much more to look forward too.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Padsin05 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:36 pm

sounded more like a Callapso then a Aviles
Padsin05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 12)

Postby Tavish » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:48 am

J35J wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:
J35J wrote:

No, Gio isn't much in the grand scheme of things....but upgrading Getz is fairly exciting as a Royals fans...we don't exactly have much more to look forward too.

I think the expectations are being set way too low for Giavotella. He has a very solid chance of being a yearly 2-3 WAR type player even with average at best defense. That isn't limited upside, that is a good everyday 2B for most any team.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby PlayingWithFire » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:09 am

Tavish wrote:
J35J wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:

I think the expectations are being set way too low for Giavotella. He has a very solid chance of being a yearly 2-3 WAR type player even with average at best defense. That isn't limited upside, that is a good everyday 2B for most any team.

I definitely agree that he has everyday starter potential. But I don't think he can be any more than a 2nd division starter. There's already 8 2B this year with more than 3WAR, 2B is a deep position. Giavotella's upside is probably an average 2B, do I like him more than Getz, of course(for now anyway, I want to see just how bad his defense is. Something resembling a Callaspo defense would be okay with me). But it's just not as exciting as say, if Will Myer was promoted after a good year.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers