8/7 Venting, Cheering, Huff's Ding Dongs, and Lawrie - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

8/7 Venting, Cheering, Huff's Ding Dongs, and Lawrie

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What is the Greatest Record in baseball?

Poll ended at Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:48 am

Season HRs
6%
Career HRs
19%
Season Base Hits
3%
Career Base Hits
No votes
Consecutive Games With a Hit
42%
Consecutive Games With/Out an Earned Run
13%
Career Strikeouts
6%
Career Wins
6%
Career Steals
3%

Total votes : 31

Re: 8/7 Venting, Cheering, Huff's Ding Dongs, and Lawrie

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:04 pm

For me the most overrated are the consecutive games played streak and the consecutive games with a hit streak. Durability and luck.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thatguy27 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:53 pm

bayside wrote:i think the real joke is that thatguy27 is blonde?

haha i kid, i kid

Nah, dark brown actually... Although I did have some douchy years in high school when I bleached my hair so I suppose I was blonde for a period back in the day. I still don't really get the joke, honestly. I don't understand why even someone stupid, err, blonde, would think an M&M should be peeled.
thatguy27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby m16a » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:49 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:For me the most overrated are the consecutive games played streak and the consecutive games with a hit streak. Durability and luck.

I'm curious why we're so quick to dismiss a record on account of "luck". Sure, he needed a lot of it to get the streak, but it took skill as well. Not to mention, it's pretty darn impressive his luck and skill held out that long. Just my .02 on the matter.
m16a
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe WriterFootball Mod
(Past Year: 13)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: 8/5 Venting, Cheering, Huff's Ding Dongs, and Lawrie

Postby DbacksRback » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:02 pm

bayside wrote:
DbacksRback wrote:He was just yelling at Ramirez he was walking out in his direction to confront him. Giants can't hit with their AAA line-up so they hit someone. And who cares if rollins steals second...throw him out if you don't want him to.

I'll take this as a better moment for the night:
http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=17701495

Phillies 9
Giants 2

That's the only score I saw.

rollins couldve stolen 9 bases for all i care.
phils are obv a much better team. so what, thats not the point.
the point is that victorino is a vagtastic little girl.
dont tell me he wasnt about to charge the mound. if you even take a quick look at the replay its totally obvious that he was ready to roll out until he saw ramirez come towards him. then he wussed and pretended to hide behind the umpire.... but lets be real - when has and umpire EVER stopped anyone from charging the mound, or doing whatever the hell they want to do? ya, never.

Pablos left hook to victorinos face was just icing on the cake

Are you talking about the "left hook" at around the :51 part of this video?
If so how do you know that connected with his face and if anything the puch was a pansy shot if I've ever seen one. Kind of threw his hand in there and popped away. Didn't seem too vicious

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=17700131

DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 57)

Postby Tavish » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:18 pm

BTW, the greatest MLB record is .609

Can't help but laugh when people talked about Bautista having the best offensive season of all time (at least back in May).

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Skin Blues » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:58 pm

Well, through the first half of the season, he was on pace for one of the best offensive seasons of all time, and had been near that pace for about 10 consecutive months. But I guess it's easy to laugh when you're a Royals fan :-)
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 113)

Postby kab21 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:18 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:For me the most overrated are the consecutive games played streak and the consecutive games with a hit streak. Durability and luck.

Breaking most of the records require durability and luck.

And most impressive doesn't equal most difficult to break imo.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby Tavish » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:27 pm

Skin Blues wrote:Well, through the first half of the season, he was on pace for one of the best offensive seasons of all time, and had been near that pace for about 10 consecutive months. But I guess it's easy to laugh when you're a Royals fan :-)

The key difference being making an argument for "one of" the best offensive seasons vs what some were making as it being "the best" offensive season of all time. It is like saying Bob Meusel was one of the best HR hitters of his time. Sure he was near the top of the list, but when you saw how much better the top guy was it put it in perspective.

And if you want to go down the 10 consecutive month route just use the last few months of 2003 and run into 2004 for Bonds. When you end 4 of 10 months slugging over 1.000 you might as well just start looking at who is in contention for the second best season ever.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter

Postby mweir145 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:45 am

Must have missed this the other day.

When you say "some people," Tavish, who are you referring to? Speaking for myself, I know that I never made the argument that Bautista was putting up "the best" offensive season of all time and I don't remember anybody who did (other than perhaps those who were amazed by his HR pace early in the season and extrapolated his stats for a full season of play). As good as he was doing through the first 2-3 months, though, Bautista was always a step behind the greatest hitter of all time, Barry Bonds, in every category. And I'm always the first person to acknowledge and respect Bonds' ridiculous dominance.

25 Club for life. ;-D
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Tavish » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:18 am

The arguments are fairly easy to find on Google. IIRC there was a Fangraphs blog post that got the ball of insanity rolling.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers