8/7 Venting, Cheering, Huff's Ding Dongs, and Lawrie - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

8/7 Venting, Cheering, Huff's Ding Dongs, and Lawrie

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What is the Greatest Record in baseball?

Poll ended at Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:48 am

Season HRs
6%
Career HRs
19%
Season Base Hits
3%
Career Base Hits
No votes
Consecutive Games With a Hit
42%
Consecutive Games With/Out an Earned Run
13%
Career Strikeouts
6%
Career Wins
6%
Career Steals
3%

Total votes : 31

8/7 Venting, Cheering, Huff's Ding Dongs, and Lawrie

Postby wrveres » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:48 am

Should you add Brett Lawrie?
Fake Teams: He should be picked up in all leagues, and I can see him hitting in the .280 range with around 8 HRs, 40 RBIs and 10 SBs in his first taste of the big leagues.
Rotoprofessor: While you can credit a lot of his success this season due to playing in the Pacific Coast League (aka the home runs) and a little bit of luck (.385 BABIP), it is hard to argue with his potential to produce, especially at a weak position. While it is hard to anticipate him posting numbers even reasonably close to what he’s done this season, he’s a must own option in all formats immediately
Andy Behrens: At the moment he's eligible at second base in Yahoo! leagues, but he'll earn his third base credentials with five starts. Lawrie is an immediate add in any format
John Sickels: My take on Lawrie now is the same as it was in the June report: he's going to be a masher, and his numbers are not merely a statistical illusion created by the Pacific Coast League and Las Vegas. His bat speed is truly outstanding. Lawrie may have some strike zone issues at first, and he'll commit some errors at third base, but Lawrie has everything needed to be a star hitter, and I think people will be pleasantly surprised by his defense.
fresh from the cafe press.
The Case for A.L. Cy Young, By Michael Stephens: Caveat 2: Verlander, Sabathia and Weaver are within a half win of Fangraphs’ WAR — or wins above replacement — (CC 5.6, JV 5.5, JW 5.1), so I’ll leave that out of my analysis as it’s statistically a virtual push in terms of not being able to set any one of them apart. Now, on to why Verlander should be the favorite so far:
Wide World of Waivers: Digging Deep, By R.J. White: RP Glen Perkins, MIN. Saves are generally hard to find this low in the FA list (though it does happen, right Mr. Javy Guerra). But Perkins is a guy that can give you the occasional save and win while keeping your ratios down and your Ks per inning up. Check out this July line: 13 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 17 K, with three wins and two saves. That’s a 0.23 WHIP! Think that could have helped your fantasy team last month?
Updated first base rankings.
2011 First Base Rankings: August: Freddie Freeman man, that dude’s been on a mission since mid-May and hasn’t stopped hitting. Hosmer’s tear hasn’t lasted quite that long, but he’s been producing at a high level for more than a month. Morse has been mashing for close to 700 PA now, so we’re beyond the point of him possibly being a fluke. All three lack track records though, which relegates them to tier three.
News that interests me, and possibly you, but mostly me.
The Seattle Mariners will recall OF Trayvon Robinson from Triple-A Tacoma to replace OF Greg Halman on the roster. Robinson, who was traded from the Los Angeles Dodgers last week, was hitting .293 with 26 home runs and 71 RBIs with Triple-A Albuquerque
Sell now.
The Seattle Mariners will make an effort to limit SP Michael Pineda's innings over the final two months of the season by giving him extra rest in between starts. He is on pace for 195 innings this year but will have nine days of rest before his next outing.
Idiots.
Stephen Strasburg (elbow) is scheduled to pitch one or two innings during his rehab start for Single-A Hagerstown Sunday. Strasburg is expected to make four rehab starts, which means he could return to the team at some point in September.
I had him on a couple of rosters and was fine with the production. Sure the BA was meh, but the counting stats over the last month were nice
Travis Snider's timing at the plate has been off for the past two weeks, and he has been starting his swing a bit too early, which has had a hand in his recent struggles. "Even last night when he flew out he was seemingly coming out of the box early," manager John Farrell said. "Front side pulling off the ball and it leaves him with that one-handed swing, rather than when he is hitting from a good, solid, firm base."
Heard this story before
Mike Moustakas is spending a few days working on making adjustments to his swing in the batting cages with hitting coach Kevin Seitzer. There has been plenty of talk of his "front side flying open" and the "bat path through the zone" and "staying inside the ball." Moustakas said his front shoulder is leaking, meaning his first move is to open his body up toward the pitcher. "This is really the first time I've had this problem," Moustakas said. "I've had other problems that I was able to correct, with lunging too much or getting too far on my front foot." Opening up too soon may be a sign that he is becoming too pull-happy against major league pitching.
Yeah i bet. ;-)
Skip Schumaker said he is willing to play wherever the team asks him to during the final two months of the season. "I feel like I can do the outfield thing maybe even better than the infield thing," Schumaker said. "It just creates versatility and more at-bats for you. It helps you stick around a little bit longer in the big leagues. I'm very comfortable in both spots now."
Welcome to the Senior Circuit.
Alex White (finger) allowed three runs in one inning for Double-A Tulsa Thursday. He will receive three days rest and then throw again before returning to a normal starter's routine. He is expected to join the Rockies rotation before the end of the season.
Eric Young Jr. said he has been concentrating on hitting the ball on the ground and using his speed to get on base.
Avoid.
Justin Morneau (neck, wrist) will begin his minor league rehab assignment with Triple-A Rochester Thursday. He had been working out at Target Field until now. Morneau's progress will be evaluated next week
How bout a 2 month tear to end the season ian.
Ian Kinsler is in a 1-for-30 slump, but the team has no plans to move him out of the leadoff spot.
From Twitter.
Keith Law: It would serve the Giants right if they missed the playoffs by one game due to their stubborn insistence that Aubrey Huff can still play.
Yawn.
Jose Bautista hit a solo home run for his major league-leading 33rd home run in a loss at the hands of the Tampa Bay Rays Thursday.
Last edited by wrveres on Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 734)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Todays Games

Postby wrveres » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:50 am

todays games
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Re: 8/5 Venting, Cheering, Huff's Ding Dongs, and Lawrie

Postby AussieDodger » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:31 am

wrveres wrote:Heard this story before
Mike Moustakas is spending a few days working on making adjustments to his swing in the batting cages with hitting coach Kevin Seitzer. There has been plenty of talk of his "front side flying open" and the "bat path through the zone" and "staying inside the ball." Moustakas said his front shoulder is leaking, meaning his first move is to open his body up toward the pitcher. "This is really the first time I've had this problem," Moustakas said. "I've had other problems that I was able to correct, with lunging too much or getting too far on my front foot." Opening up too soon may be a sign that he is becoming too pull-happy against major league pitching.

Free Yamaico Navarro
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 24)

Postby wrveres » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:42 am

i love a good roto race.

10 team NL only.

25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:26 am

Sluggin Fireballs is such a familiar team name, who is that wrs? Rump? Amazinz?
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:21 am

wrveres wrote:i love a good roto race.

10 team NL only.

wow...that's tighter than [mod edit]
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby AussieDodger » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:29 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:
wrveres wrote:i love a good roto race.

10 team NL only.

wow...that's tighter than [mod edit]

lol Aqua approves of this comment
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 24)

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:45 am

bigh0rt wrote:Sluggin Fireballs is such a familiar team name, who is that wrs? Rump? Amazinz?

That's Brad's name for all of his teams - RUMP
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:47 am

CBS Sportsline wrote:News: Rockies OF Carlos Gonzalez, on the 15-day disabled list, began his rehab assignment with Triple-A Colorado Springs on Thursday. Playing left field, he went 1 for 4 in Game 1 of the double header and went 1 for 1 with a run scored in the nightcap. Gonzalez, who is dealing with a wrist injury, could be activated as early as Saturday against the Nationals.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby RedHopeful » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:31 am

Starting Lester, Leake, Nicasio and Niemann. Take a seat Zimm.

How about Super Nova's performance yesterday? Sure it was the White Sox (who Hughes also dominated) but AJ couldn't even last 5 innings for an easy W.

Speaking of the Yankees, they've got another series with BoSox this weekend. Just doesn't seem to be the rivalry it once was ... why don't these guys hate each other anymore? Too much success on both sides thus no more jealously?
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers