ACL Tear, Surgery and Misdiagnosis - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

ACL Tear, Surgery and Misdiagnosis

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: ACL Tear, Surgery and Misdiagnosis

Postby lastingsgriller » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:50 pm

I'll just reiterate my statement from the beginning of this thread as it still seems appropriate..

lastingsgriller wrote:It is a significant investment of time. also, if you are not the type of worker thats going to go all out and rehab it right, you might as well not do it at all. but, if you are willing to put the time and effort into it, i think you will be amazed what it's like to live with a normal knee again. it's easy to just live with what you've got and deal with it, but a couple of years from know you will thank yourself for getting it fixed.

blah blah blah... long story, i know.. but, you're young, get it fixed while you still heal fast and have the energy to hit the gym every day.

;-D
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 171)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:00 pm

Damn, I know what you're going through. Working hard on rehab will pay off in the long run. How's your range of motion? That was the hardest part of recovery for me. After I got past that hurdle it became more manageable.
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:09 pm

sox 06 wrote:
jake_twothousandfive wrote:Damn, I know what you're going through. Working hard on rehab will pay off in the long run. How's your range of motion? That was the hardest part of recovery for me. After I got past that hurdle it became more manageable.

My range of motion is actually progressing a lot quicker than I expected. They told me I should be close to 90 degrees at two weeks (this Thursday) and I'm in the neighborhood of that. Something I'm having a hard time with is completely straightening my leg, but they told me that that's harder than bending it most of the time. I start therapy either this week or next week so hopefully that will really get the wheels rolling.

I've been told a million different time tables as far as the recovery is concerned. Some say 6 months, some 9 months and some 12 months. The doctor told me today that because they used an allograft (donor tissue, not a piece from my hamstring) that the recovery is sometimes up to 18 months :-C

I used a graft from my hamstring for the first surgery and donor tissue for the second. With the hamstring graft I was told recovery is 9 months and with donor tissue it's about 12 months. Recovery is longer with the donor tissue but it should be stronger. I think the different recovery times you're hearing are simply because you have a lot of control over how quickly you reach full recovery based on how hard you work at rehab. If you work like a pro athlete at it, you'll probably be on the short end of these timetables; whereas, if you give it a poor effort, full recovery could take much longer.
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby J35J » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:55 am

sox 06 wrote:
BigLebowski wrote:and have avoided the Dr. on purpose ever since. I have finally broken down and have an appointment scheduled since my standard of living has dropped significantly in the last 2 months.

That's the best move that you could have made. I avoided the doctor for about six years and I regret it greatly. Everyday activities were painful, uncomfortable and many I stopped doing because of the discomfort and pain. Everyone was telling me to go to the doctor to which I responded, "I'll just deal with it."

I realized though that there's no reason to be uncomfortable and in pain if something can be done about it. A 21 year old shouldn't fear sitting down on a couch because their knee might lock up on them. That's no way to live life.

You are 21 now...6 years ago you were 15...why didn't your parents get the surgery for you at that time?

Congrats on successful surgery and good luck with the rehab! ;-D
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 358)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk