How do you win daily baseball leagues??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Beginner's Forum

How do you win daily baseball leagues???

How do you win daily baseball leagues???

Postby joeybags73 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:52 am

Hi All,
I've been in fantasy baseball full season leagues for 3 years but have recently started playing online daily leagues where there'd be about 200 other teams vying for cash prizes. I never really did well in the full season leagues but thought I'd have more fun trying my hand at the dailies. However, I always seem to end up in the middle of the standings at the end of the day even though it seems like I picked a great team. I'd start out in the top 10 and then check my standing later in the night and see that I've dropped to like 120 out of 275, like what happened to me last night. I see guys on some sites who win hundreds or thousands of dollars every day. They're probably making a great living at it. They do this day in and day out on a consistent basis. But I'm always a consistent loser.

I don't take a technical approach to picking my teams. I pretty much pick players who I think have a favorable matchup against the opposing pitcher. In the daily leagues you're given a starting salary of say $100,000 and have to make up a team that stays within that salary.

Is there something I can do to help give me an advantage? Should I be running complicated spreadsheets to get a lineup? Are there any books or other resources I could use that would help me in daily leagues?

Thanks for the help.
joeybags73
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How do you win daily baseball leagues???

Postby fast dogs » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:39 pm

I see guys on some sites who win hundreds or thousands of dollars every day. They're probably making a great living at it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
this seems really unlikely to me for starters. Which sites?
These daily games have alot of luck involved; everyone is going to try to take 3 cleanup hitters,etc. If you get to pick from everyone, I'd try to take 3 from the same team vs a lesser SP and hope they have 1 of those 12 or 13 runs games
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 303)

Postby joeybags73 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:46 pm

fast dogs wrote:I see guys on some sites who win hundreds or thousands of dollars every day. They're probably making a great living at it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
this seems really unlikely to me for starters. Which sites?
These daily games have alot of luck involved; everyone is going to try to take 3 cleanup hitters,etc. If you get to pick from everyone, I'd try to take 3 from the same team vs a lesser SP and hope they have 1 of those 12 or 13 runs games

Thanks! I'm primarily on Draftstreet and there are at least 10 guys who win everyday. The top winners and the amounts won are listed on the top of the home page and I see the same names all the time. I've noticed that some of the successful teams I go up against pick the majority of their hitters from one team so I tried that and it didn't really work for me. But I'll try your cleanup hitters suggestion.
joeybags73
T-Ball Trainer

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:07 am

In the context of any one particular baseball game, predictive tools are fairly meaningless.

In other words - there's no magic formula here. Anything can happen in one game. Things like home/road splits, platoon advantage.... this kind of thing is predictive in the long run, but in the time frame of one day you might as well pick the names out of a hat (exaggerated, obviously)

Just go with the best hitters you can get against the worst pitchers of the day.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 41)

Postby thedude » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:14 pm

lane_anasazi2 wrote: Anything can happen in one game. Things like home/road splits, platoon advantage.... this kind of thing is predictive in the long run, but in the time frame of one day you might as well pick the names out of a hat (exaggerated, obviously)

Just go with the best hitters you can get against the worst pitchers of the day.

Well if you play enough days, in the long run those thing will matter.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Return to Beginner's Forum