Move Stubbs/Zobrist/Chisenhall for Sandoval/Gardner/Jackson? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Move Stubbs/Zobrist/Chisenhall for Sandoval/Gardner/Jackson?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Move Stubbs/Zobrist/Chisenhall for Sandoval/Gardner/Jackson?

Postby mm92280 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:26 pm

Just to give a little background, I play in a 20 team H2H keeper league (5 keepers max) and am currently in 8th place. I've been in search of help at 3rd and SS for quite awhile this season. They have been black holes pretty much the entire time, outside of the short time that Jed Lowrie was playing SS for me and producing. Since then, I have had nothing coming close to consistent production from those spots. So, not suprisingly, I've been making offers. Its been tough going, as those are tough to fill spots and owners don't want to easily part with productive players at those positions, especially in a league this size.

I actually see a slight glimmer of hope at SS, as Jesus Guzman is SS eligible in ESPN leagues and I have him on my team. He's been hitting and I have my fingers crossed that he can continue helping my team. By the same token, Brendan Ryan has also been playing better, which has made me believe that 3rd base should be my focus. I've been playing Lonnie Chisenhall there ever since he was called up but he has shown almost no pop whatsoever. I also have Pedro Alvarez and have used him some but he's burned me for most of the season and I don't want to count on him down the stetch if I don't have to.

So, with this in mind, I am considering offering Ben Zobrist, Drew Stubbs and Chisenhall to another owner in my league for Pablo Sandoval, Brett Gardner and Edwin Jackson. I know some might think that is a little steep but owners aren't willing to move players at 3rd without getting real production in return. I actually don't think it would work out too poorly for me, as Sandoval would be a major upgrade at 3rd for me and give me a good AVG, HR, RBI and OPS guy there (yes, we count OPS in my league). Gardner would not be that much of a drop from Stubbs, as it would just hurt me in the HR category. I would stay about the same in SB, R and OPS. Edwin Jackson is a nice sleeper IMO and would slot into the lower half of my starting rotation and could help me there down the stretch. It would also allow me to cut Homer Bailey, who has been struggling and pick up another useful player. The biggest hit would be at 2nd, where I would be counting on the combo of Mark Ellis and Gordon Beckham to give me some production. Ellis has cooled off since his hot start but I'm hoping he could still provide some decent stats. Beckham has actually been playing better over the last few weeks but that is trend with him (better 2nd half player).

So, I know it is a gamble but what do you guys think? Is it just too risky that it isn't even worth considering? I have tried repeatedly with other potential trade options (Ryan Zimmerman, Michael Young, etc.) and the guys on the waiver wire either aren't producing (Moustakis) or aren't producing/playing enough (Wilson Betemit). So, I'm not sure that a great option exists in the free agent pool for me.

Here is my team, as it currently stands. Remember that we count all of the usual offensive categories but we also count OPS. For pitching, we count all of the usual stats except we also count holds (which is where Adams and O'Flaherty come in). I am currently punting saves, as I have had no luck in getting a closer or two through trades or free agency. I probably won't have much luck in getting 2 closers between now and playoff time, as that is probably what it would take to consistently win that category, so I've been focusing my work elsewhere.

C: C. Santana (C, 1B)
1B: R. Howard (1B)
2B: B. Zobrist (2B, RF)
SS: B. Ryan (SS)
3B: L. Chisenhall (3B)
LF: C. Gonzalez (LF, CF, RF) -DL
CF: D. Stubbs (CF)
RF: T. Snider (RF, LF)
Util: A. Gordon (LF)
Util: E. Thames (LF, RF)
Bn: M. Ellis (2B)
Bn: P. Alvarez (3B)
Bn: G. Beckham (2B)
Bn: J. Guzman (SS, 1B)
Bn: L. Dudal (1B, LF, RF)
DL: J. Lowrie (SS, 2B, 3B)

SP: C. Hamels
SP: A. Sanchez
SP: J. Karstens
SP: R. Dempster
SP: T. Stauffer
SP: H. Bailey
RP: M. Adams
RP: E. O'Flaherty

Thanks for the help!
mm92280
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Move Stubbs/Zobrist/Chisenhall for Sandoval/Gardner/Jack

Postby mm92280 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:07 pm

bump
mm92280
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mm92280 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:47 pm

bump
mm92280
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MadDog36 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:45 am

I'd take the Panda side by a pretty good margin. Chisenhall doesn't project to be anthing more than casey blake type. Gardner is a solid starter....
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 2068)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions