Hellickson/Gordon for Carpenter? WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Hellickson/Gordon for Carpenter? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Hellickson/Gordon for Carpenter? WHIR

Postby jruffus1 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:17 pm

Am in a 12-team H2H league and have just CLINCHED 1st place. Now my plan is to beef up for the playoffs. I have Roy Oswalt on my DL, and plan on activating him once he's back (unless he is terrible or still appears to be hurt). I also have Johan Santana on my DL, since the word is that he should be returning in late August, which is perfect for the fantasy playoffs. In order to make a little bit of room, I have offered a manager Jeremy Hellickson/Alex Gordon for Chris Carpenter. I figured that Gordon might do him well since he has Matsui in his OF and also assume that Hellickson will be shut down before the season ends. Any thoughts?
jruffus1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 68)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Hellickson/Gordon for Carpenter? WHIR

Postby Fantasy GM » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:23 pm

I would do the trade. I agree than Hellickson could be shut down before the end of the season, thus making your trade Gordon for Carpenter coem playoffs. WIth that in mind, Carpenter > Gordon. Do the deal.

Do you like any of these trades? viewtopic.php?f=26&t=435887&p=3435902#p3435902
Fantasy GM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MaudDib » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:08 am

First i have heard that Hellickson might be shut down. I would be ok with the trade but i am not totally convinced that he will be shut down. The Rays play it really safe calling guys up from the minors but i don't remember them shutting guys down early once they get here.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby jruffus1 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:13 am

Even if he isn't shut down, his innings will be limited. The Rays have already said that he will be limited to around 190-200 innings this season, and he's already at around 123. I mean he usually doesn't go deep into games anyway, but he is bound to have a couple of starts skipped if he isn't shut down. His strikeout numbers are also too low for me, so I figured that a veteran like Carpenter would serve me well.
jruffus1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 68)

Postby MaudDib » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:31 am

I am fine with the deal but I prefer Hellickson myself although Carpenter will give you more K's. Hellickson is on pace for about 195 innings so unless he starts lasting deeper into games, i don't think he will get skipped or shut down.

Again, I am fine with the trade and Carpenter should be fine. I just hadn't heard anything about Hellickson being shut down.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions