To Stream or Not To Stream? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

To Stream or Not To Stream?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

To Stream or Not To Stream?

Postby Mateo de Lorenzo » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:00 am

So, I have been streaming a few pitchers from time to time, mainly when I needed and extra W or strikeouts, or to lower my ERA/WHIP (by streaming my stream pitchers with RP) but now that the season is nearing the end, other players are doing so as well, partially to combat me and also as the same strategy. So, its been harder to pick up pitchers I like for streaming purposes on a semi regular basis. Now, I question a couple of mine...

Derek Holland, Tex-- He seems to be decently solid and I wonder if I should just now hold onto him. Thoughts?

Rubby de la Rosa, LAD-- He's young and inconsistent, but seems to have potential with a good strikeout rate. Lack of run support hurts him too. But, this is a dynasty league. Should I stop streaming him and hold onto him as a potential keeper?
Please help me with analyzing my team? viewtopic.php?f=29&t=433592
Mateo de Lorenzo Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: To Stream or Not To Stream?

Postby misterf » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:50 am

hard to say for sure without knowing what your waiver wire generally looks like. But neither of thos guys seem worth holding onto to me.

Rubby is way to inconsistent. i dont see many situations where I hold onto him. You could get equal or better "counting stats" from just about any journeyman 2-start pitcher with decent matchups.....and he is more likely to hurt your "ratio stats" than help them.

If your league is fairly deep (ie: at least 12 teams with most of them active and at least 1/2 of them streaming on at least a limited basis) it might be worth keeping holloand.....especially since he plays for a good team that can help earn him some wins. But in most leagues I would hesitate to keep Holland for the same reasons mentioned above.

Once you've gone down the "streaming" road it's really hard to stop.....especially if other managers have jumped on the streaming band wagon. The chances of finding a guy....or two...that are actually worth holding onto is pretty slim (unless one of the other managers makes a mistake in who they drop for a 2-start pitcher......and it doesn't look like that is the case).

At this point, I think you have to commit to the streaming thing 100%.....with all the pros and cons that it entails. Just dont think twice about grabbing those marginal 2-start pitchers....and do whatever it takes to get the drop on some of your opponents to get those elite level "streamers" before somebody else does......if too many other managers are starting to stream, I would even consider looking ahead and grabbing some of the more desireable streamers a week ahead of time.

If somebody makes a mistake and somebody truly worth holding onto falls into your lap, great........otherwise, just accept that you will need to out-stream your competitors.

Help with mine?

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=435871
misterf
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 74)

Re: To Stream or Not To Stream?

Postby Mateo de Lorenzo » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:09 pm

Thanks for the advice. The streaming teams are usually four at minimum, but has gotten up to seven, in a 12 team league. It is either 4 or 7 (one guy runs three teams, so when he checks in, he streams with all three). This is done on a daily basis, as opposed to a weekly basis of finding two start pitchers. I usually do stream one day ahead of schedule, where most do it for the next day. This league has proven to be a pitcher heavy league. Here is the current WW:

Please help me with analyzing my team? viewtopic.php?f=29&t=433592
Mateo de Lorenzo Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions