Commish changing rules midway, help!!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Commish changing rules midway, help!!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Commish changing rules midway, help!!!

Postby Ddell » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:07 am

I am posting this in a last ditch effort to bolster my side of an argument. This is my first year playing fantasy baseball. Overall I am really enjoying it, despite the fact that my team isnt the greatest. My overall draft strategy wasnt the greatest, partly due to my severely limited knowledge of the players. I tried to do my homework in the limited time I had, but all in all, I didnt do so well draft day. I currently sit in 8th place out of 10 statisticly. My problem goes as follows. At the beginning of the year the commissioner said that we would have 2 keepers. The reasoning behind this was that he wanted to have 4, but in fairness to the new guys he would keep it at 2 for the first year, so we could get used to the game learn the players etc. Well, a couple of weeks ago the idea is brought up to change the league to 4 keepers. There was a vote that resulted 6-4 in favor of adding the keepers. I have a problem with this. I feel like I still have the team I drafted as one of the new guys, and compared to most I will be put at a disadvantage in the coming years. I could get into more specifics, such as the commissioner owning money keepers duch as hosmer, stanton, mcutcheon, espinoza compared to my hellickson, a.gordon, d.jennings, and j. Chacin, but I feel as though this is just wrong in principle. I would just like some opinions on the matter to help me out. I encourage both sides to post, and hopefully I will have an interesting thread to show our commish in a few days. Thanks in advance for any replies, and gor reading through this long ass post.
Ddell
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Commish changing rules midway, help!!!

Postby mkultra » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:17 am

Rule #1: YOU DO NOT CHANGE LEAGUE RULES MIDSEASON.
Rule #2: See Rule #1.

The ONLY exception would be some kind of stopgap rule for things like closing loopholes, preventing abuse, etc.

If you are going to make a change like this, ideally you redraft from scratch. A less ideal solution would be to just enact this rule change going into the 2013 season. What's key is that you want all managers to have a full season to plan their strategy around 4 keepers.

(BTW, in a 10-team league, neither of you have good keepers... just sayin'... !+) )
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ddell » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:34 am

Thanks for your response. I am hoping more people comment so maybe I can fix this situation. Please keep all opinions coming.
Ddell
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby mkultra » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:23 pm

Here's the big principle that should keep things focused:

Above all else, changes to league rules should affect all managers equally.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby Ddell » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:09 pm

Well since not all teams are equal, ill take that as a vote for me, correct?
Ddell
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby fast dogs » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:28 pm

First of all you shouldn't change the keeper rules midseason; there should have been some trades where a team trades their 3rd and 4th best players to get a better 2nd player and they would now be at a disadvantage. I'd suggest to the commish he sticks with the 2 for next year then go to 3 or 4 keepers the year after sort of thing
The other thing that seems odd is the players that will be kept will basically be the top 40 with a few exceptions that aren't quite top 40 players but are young and will/could be by next seasons end. The Espinosa's and Chacin's you mentioned are nice players but won't be top 40 keepers if your league is able to keep everyone from this years draft.Not that that matters much as changing the rules midseason still shouldn't be allowed, whats to say next season he decides he has 12 good keepers and changes the rules again.There are plenty of good leagues to join where the league sticks with the rules they start out with, if you or someone have been put at a disadvantage because of this rule change, you can always just quit and join new leagues. If you like the guys and the league and have 4 top 40ish players make sure he knows this sort of rule changing isn't going to be allowed in the future. I can't imagine he's going to change his mind now that the voting passed, the real decision now is if you want to stay next year or look for a more stable league to join. Really every team should have 4 nearly top 50 players to choose from and maybe theres no real harm done by this, especially considering he wanted the 4 keepers from the beginning. If you think the league is legit and a good bunch and you have a good set of 4 you could continue, but if this is just the 1st of many questionable decisions that is coming, you are better off leaving after year 1 and find other leagues
You can submit your message board findings to the commish, but he's not likely to change his mind now that he's got a 6-4 vote in hand.
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 321)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:38 pm

In the league that I commish if a majority voted for 4 keepers the change wouldn't go into effect until the 2013 season.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 357)

Postby Ddell » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:27 pm

I dont want to derail the conversation, but our rules are a little different I guess. For any plyers we keep this year, next year we have to give up our pick from one round previous. For instance, I got matt holiday in the second this year so to keep him, I would lose a first next year. In this format 1st rounders cannot be kept. Also any free agent pickups that were not drafted, result only in the loss of your last round if you decide to keep them. That is why alex gordon is a good keeper. Just wantef to clear that up. Thanks for all the replies. I may have the ammo I need now
Ddell
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby pjalst » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:24 pm

Changing rules mid-season is not cool. Many Owners come in and plan their future stategy based on the rules. Even though a vote was taken and majority ruled, changing was the wrong thing to do. The season should be played out under the current rules and a vote to change the rules should be conducted during the off-season.
pjalst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 67)

Postby bigmck » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:29 pm

Changing rules in mid-season on Keepers is not right. As others have said, it should take affect for the 2013 season, not 2012. On the other hand, I would not get that upset about this. In a ten team league, there are plenty of good players that you can keep. This type of thing would not make me quit the league, but I would keep my ears open for another one next year. Good luck.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 60)

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner