Two Ethics Questions - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Two Ethics Questions

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby mtarail » Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:37 pm

it's a tough choice, but if beyonce or cameron diaz is available on the waiver wire.....
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby justinA » Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:43 pm

9er Fan wrote:1) You can help her as much as you want, but I would never trade with her, and be wary of who you drop to waivers/who she picks up. If she has #1 priority for instance, and you drop a decent player (who she claims), the other owners could justifiably be upset.

2) If you trade for Contreras, and the other owner incorrectly believes Contreras is a MR, that's his problem. If you actively try and convince him that Contreras is a MR, then its unethical IMO.

convincing him of something that Contreras is not is half the fun!! If you are good enough to be able to convince a guy of the role of a player, and this owner has the internet and more than 10 minutes of free time a day, you should be commended. There is nothing wrong with convincing somebody of something that isnt if the information is at the guy's fingertips. Like another example is convincing somebody that Joe Schmo is going to get called up soon and get plenty of AB's and so on isnt unethical when that person can do a little research and see otherwise. The more attempts at deception, the more fun!!!
The Oreos!
justinA
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby fishingmn » Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:47 pm

I could be wrong here but I'm guessing JustinA is 16
fishingmn
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Jackie Treehorn » Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:06 pm

justinA wrote:
9er Fan wrote:1) You can help her as much as you want, but I would never trade with her, and be wary of who you drop to waivers/who she picks up. If she has #1 priority for instance, and you drop a decent player (who she claims), the other owners could justifiably be upset.

2) If you trade for Contreras, and the other owner incorrectly believes Contreras is a MR, that's his problem. If you actively try and convince him that Contreras is a MR, then its unethical IMO.

convincing him of something that Contreras is not is half the fun!! If you are good enough to be able to convince a guy of the role of a player, and this owner has the internet and more than 10 minutes of free time a day, you should be commended. There is nothing wrong with convincing somebody of something that isnt if the information is at the guy's fingertips. Like another example is convincing somebody that Joe Schmo is going to get called up soon and get plenty of AB's and so on isnt unethical when that person can do a little research and see otherwise. The more attempts at deception, the more fun!!!

I think this is unethical, and unless it's a public league, once people see what you're doing, they probably either won't want to trade with you or play with you period. Just my opinion.
"How's the smut business, Jackie?"
Jackie Treehorn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: Two Ethics Questions

Postby Ajax » Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:42 pm

Katfish wrote:Here's two moral questions for you guys:

Number 1) The wife joined our family/friends league, but is clueless. How much should I help her? For instance she I know she'll need holds, but I don't want to run her team. She also has Reyes, and I'd love to get him, but how can I work a trade with her?

Number 2) As much strategy as ethical: One team picked up Contreras in the draft thinking he will be the primary setup for Rivera, but he's not and I wanted him. Should I tell him and work a trade? Or should I let him find out by himself and lose ground in holds?

Thanks for your input.

RE: Issue Number 1. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Since she's clueless, I'm guessing she's not expecting to win, she's just wants to be involved and see what it's all about. Since it's a family/friends league, everyone else should understand the position that you're in. Don't help her, and don't rip her off, and you'll be fine.

RE: Issue Number 2. Wow. Talk about clueless...Contreras as a setup man? I'm assuming that the "one team" that thought this wasn't your wife's? I don't see the problem here. If the guy/gal that drafted him with the intention of picking up Holds finds out that he's "just" a #4 starter, they might think you're doing them a favor by taking him off their hands
Ajax
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Homebrewer » Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:24 am

No. 1 - any and all help is fine, but trades should probably be off-limits due to the appearance of conflict of interest.

No. 2 - Put in a trade offer without the sales pitch, but you're walking a fine line. Soon enough he'll figure out Contreras is a starter. You need to strike before he also figures out Contreras is a good one.
Homebrewer

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

BS

Postby ukrneal2 » Wed Mar 31, 2004 4:08 am

I'm really not clear on why you shouldn't trade with her. Ethically, you shouldn;t try to take advantage of any of the other players, including her. You must make reasonable offers to everyone, besides what is the fun of taking advantage of a someone who just doesn't know as much. I would also point out to her that she can always post here, yahoo, or at several sites if she has questions that need independent answers. Then she'll know if you're the Prince of Belle Air or just full of it. I'd also point her to the ESPN draft results pages and sporting news essay that you can get through yahoo free. I'd personally try to stay as hands-off as I could once she gets going - it will be more fun for her and others won't suspect you of anything. And in the long-run, won't you be happy that you can talk to her about baseball? Most men cannot do that with their wives.

If you want Contreras, make an offer. AS long as what you say is the truth (he is a starter) and make a reasonable offer (not hard to meet that criteria as he isn't being picked until late anyway) that meets his needs, what is the problem? If you knowingly misrepresent or misinform in doing the trade, you are being unethical.

Since it is a family league, I'd be very careful to keep it fun and casual. In this case winning might mean losing, if it isn't done right.
ukrneal2

Postby polyphonic » Wed Mar 31, 2004 4:13 am

if everyone else in the league gets to rip her off, it would be a little unfair if you didn't get to.
serious as a heart attack
makes me feel this way
polyphonic
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ukrneal2 » Wed Mar 31, 2004 4:19 am

He can prevent anyone from ripping her off by indicating where she can post the trades to get independent feedback. That includes here, yahoo and lots of other sites. The commish should also be trying to fair and the league should veto clearly unfair trades. Example; Reyes for Rey Ordonez(ss).
ukrneal2

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:29 am

I think that this league doesn't really sound like that much fun, since you have at least 2 clueless people in it. If someone doesn't do enough research to be able to figure out Contreras is a starter BEFORE the season, and your wife is MORE clueless, how much fun is it really going to be to beat them?

We have one guy in our league, great guy but just doesn't pay attention that much and ends up getting pounded on a lot. I warned him to stick Kevin Brown in and was pleasantly suprised to see that he'd done so this AM so I'm hoping we can get him to become addicted too...

Of course, one of the other players objected mildly saying 'cheater!' but I explained I'd have done the same thing if I was playing him and he said 'so would I!!' so I think that we will try to give him some tips. It may also help that he finally got a computer @ home in the offseason. We'll see.

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers