Werth worth holding onto anymore? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Werth worth holding onto anymore?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Werth worth holding onto anymore?

Postby blazed118 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:16 am

The guy is killing me. I've been patiently waiting for him to turn it around based on past years' performances, but my patience is running extremely thin. I've been tossing around some thoughts about dropping him to pick up Ramon Hernandez to backup an also struggling Russel Martin, or possibly freeing up a spot to stream another pitcher now that I dropped Josh Johnson. Any thoughts?

Standard H2H league, scoring: R, RBI, AVG, HR, SB : K, W, SV, ERA, WHIP

My team:
C: Russel Martin
1B: Prince Fielder
2B: Brandon Phillips
3B: David Wright
SS: Yunel Escobar
OF: Hunter Pence, Josh Hamilton, Chris Young, Jason Werth(less)
DH: Jason Kubel
Bench: Mark Reynolds, Alexei Ramirez, JJ Hardy, Ryan Roberts

SP: Justin Verlander, Josh Beckett, Gio Gonzalez, Scott Baker, Bud Norris, Eric Bedard (coming off DL on Fri.)
RP: Joel Hanrahan, Kyle Farnsworth, Joe Nathan
Possible streamers (depending on perfomances later this week): Fransisco Liriano, Vance Worley, Jeff Karstens

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
blazed118
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Werth worth holding onto anymore?

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:25 am

I feel your pain on Werth, but I wouldn't drop him outright, especially when you've got such a deep bench. I certainly wouldn't try to carry a backup catcher... in a 1 catcher league that's just a bad idea. Grabbing another SP might be a good idea, but I'd probably drop Ryan Roberts. Any chance you can clear out 2 of Yunel Escobar, JJ Hardy, and Alexei Rameriz? I cringe to see 3 SS on a roster.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 67)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby blazed118 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:35 am

Yeah, funny you should mention my 3 SS predicament. It's late and I'm running on fumes right now, and was just about to edit the post saying that I might drop one of the three SS. I'm leaning towards dropping Alexei. Would you straight up drop Martin in favor of Hernandez, or would you stick it out with Martin? The only reason I was contemplating staffing two catchers is that they both seem to have a bit more sporadic playing time than many more catchers out there. With Hernandez, I definitely get a boost at AVG, but I like the fact that Russel plays at Yankee stadium.

Edit: And as far as Ryand Roberts, while the AVG isn't there, he is on pace for a 20/20 season, and you gotta love his 2B/3B/OF eligibility...
blazed118
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mateo de Lorenzo » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:01 am

I feel you on Werth. I recently came to the same conclusion. But, mine was in a keeper league in which I was mired in last place, so I used him and another disappointment Ubaldo (both keepers heading back to FA after 2011 and 2012, respectively) as trade bait. If you are in a keeper league, I suggest that. I was able to move both Werth and Ubaldo for Travis Snider, Brandon Belt and Delmon Young because the guy in fourth place (top three money) was desperate for SP and OF. Shop him around and see what you can get for him.

Help with mine? viewtopic.php?f=26&t=435715
Please help me with analyzing my team? viewtopic.php?f=29&t=433592
Mateo de Lorenzo Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions