LM DL Moves McCann/Putz - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

LM DL Moves McCann/Putz

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

LM DL Moves McCann/Putz

Postby hockeykidb3 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:50 pm

So the Braves have announced that McCann will be placed on the 15-day DL today, but they have not yet done it. I also have JJ Putz on the DL who I wanted to activate, but the first game of the day started and it locked and the Braves havent officially put McCann on the DL yet. Would it be fair to ask my LM to use his LM powers to make this DL move when the Braves officially put McCann on the DL as long as its before the Braves or Dbacks games start?
hockeykidb3
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: LM DL Moves McCann/Putz

Postby Pooingonastick » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:07 pm

Yeah I think that is completely fair. The braves have Announced that McCann is on the DL so it is perfectly okay to ask your LM to move him onto the DL. And if Putz's game hadn't started yet I think it is fair to be able to take him if the DL. I don't know why they lock it in the first place it should be before their game not te first game of the day.
Pooingonastick
College Coach
College Coach

Postby WaCougMBS » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:01 pm

I don't think it's fair in any way. Until the player is listed on the DL through your fantasy site of choice, he's not on the DL. And if you league locks roster moves after the first game of the day starts, then that's the rules. Putz isn't likely going to get a save opp tonight anyway, so better to not even worry about trying to bend multiple league rules to swap these guys for one extra day...
2012 H2HWS West A champion
WaCougMBS
Radio Pimp
Radio Pimp

Radio PimpEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafecasterFootball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby hockeykidb3 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:04 pm

Dbacks are playing San Diego, there is a very good chance he gets a save opp
hockeykidb3
College Coach
College Coach

Postby WaCougMBS » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:06 pm

hockeykidb3 wrote:Dbacks are playing San Diego, there is a very good chance he gets a save opp

Other than the fact it's beside the point if he gets the opp or not, how many closers get save opps in their first appearance after a DL stint? Especially if a guy like Hernandez has been locked in while he's been out? If you want to set a money line and make a wager, I'll take the under every time ;-)
WaCougMBS
Radio Pimp
Radio Pimp

Radio PimpEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafecasterFootball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby hockeykidb3 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:44 pm

"Putz is expected to return to the closer role immediately."
That's directly from ESPN fantasy baseball^.
hockeykidb3
College Coach
College Coach

Postby WaCougMBS » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:18 pm

hockeykidb3 wrote:"Putz is expected to return to the closer role immediately."
That's directly from ESPN fantasy baseball^.

Well if the 4-letter network said it, it must be true :-D

Plus, it seems like you missed the bulk of the quote, which concluded with "It wouldn't be surprising, though, if the Diamondbacks gave him at least one non-stressful outing to recalibrate himself."
WaCougMBS
Radio Pimp
Radio Pimp

Postby hockeykidb3 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:46 am

putz got the save, you have to read between the lines on the ESPN news post, saying "it wouldn't be suprising" indicates it is the author of the post speculating, where "utz is expected to return to the closer role immediately." is more likely to come from the Dbacks management, being the ones who actually make that decision
hockeykidb3
College Coach
College Coach

Postby WaCougMBS » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:25 am

hockeykidb3 wrote:putz got the save, you have to read between the lines on the ESPN news post, saying "it wouldn't be suprising" indicates it is the author of the post speculating, where "utz is expected to return to the closer role immediately." is more likely to come from the Dbacks management, being the ones who actually make that decision

Don't care. Two things: 1) You're missing the point - what you wanted to do was against league rules and common sense, and 2) regardless of what someone at rotowire says that's then dumped onto ESPN's blurb that you're counting as exhaustive research on your part, closers, more often than not, return and are not thrown right into the highest leverage situations right off the bat, and even if such a situation is to arise it's unlikely statistically that a save situation will even present itself. Don't skew the information because your gut feeling worked out this time.

Like most of the questions you post in CC, this one had an easy answer. No. You wanted to DL a player your fantasy provider hadn't listed on the DL yet, and you then wanted to switch that player for a guy (coming off the DL) you wanted to insert into your active lineup after the day's first game started, even though your league's settings dictate that this is against the rules and cannot be done.

The half of the advice/news you took to heart happened to come true this time and you missed a save as a result - the kicker? You should have missed the save no matter what because you wanted to violate league rules to get your hands on said longshot in the first place ...
WaCougMBS
Radio Pimp
Radio Pimp

Postby hockeykidb3 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:33 am

the reasoning was the Braves announced McCann was going to be added to the DL before the first game, (I don't know why teams don't just make these moves instantly in the firstplace), second of all, ESPN doesn't give an option to have DL moves lock at individual gametimes like they do with regular roster moves, if a league decides they want to do that shouldn't they have the right to?
And i didn't get lucky predicting a save for putz, "Putz is expected to return to the closer role immediately." isn't very hard to interpret, it doesn't get much more straightforward than that
hockeykidb3
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner