7/27: Venting, Asdrubal's Ding Dongs, Carsten Charles - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

7/27: Venting, Asdrubal's Ding Dongs, Carsten Charles

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Worst Call?

The Armando Gallaraga Affair (2010)
55%
The Offerman Offense (1999)
No votes
The Jeffery Maier Mishap (1996)
5%
The Denkinger Derp (1985)
14%
The Holliday Hijinks (2007)
No votes
The Pierzynski Punchout (2005)
No votes
The Julio Lugo "What the hell, Julio Lugo still plays baseball as a vocation?!" (2011)
9%
The Brett Hull No Goal (1999) (So heinous that it transcends any one particular sport)
18%

Total votes : 22

Postby CharlatanSin » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:14 am

I've said on these forums before that I believe that three or four years ago we went through the looking glass on 'Yankee bias.' (And to a lesser extent Red Sox bias.) Players were once overrated because of their pinstripes, but now that everyone's hyperaware of this overrating, some Yankees are under-appreciated. This is particularly true of CC Sabathia, who is rarely if ever mentioned in the same breath as the other best MLB pitchers (Non-Halladay Division). But he's pretty awesome, and as consistent and rock-solid as they come.

The Seattle Mariners flailed at balls high and low, watched called third strikes and checked their swings too late against CC Sabathia...Sabathia did not allow a baserunner until Brendan Ryan(notes) singled with one out in the seventh inning in beating Seattle for the seventh consecutive start. He struck out a career-high 14 of the 25 batters he faced, seven in a row at one point.

Sabathia was sick nasty awesome, but the Mariners don't look like a major league ballclub right now. Their hitters are truly brutal.

What else happened on Ace Day?
Justin Verlander's fastball was still popping as he finished up the eighth inning...Verlander (14-5), allowed four runs and seven hits in eight innings, including two-run homers to Adam Dunn in the first and Paul Konerko in the sixth. Verlander, who threw 125 pitches, came back to strike out Konerko and Dunn with a runner on in the eighth.

"If your horse says he's OK, you leave him in there. That's just the way it is," Detroit manager Jim Leyland said.

Somewhere out there, Grady Little nods knowingly.

Jered Weaver again was masterful while youngsters Mark Trumbo and Jordan Walden bounced back from adversity for the Los Angeles Angels...
Weaver gave up one run over seven innings -- a home run by Matt LaPorta in the seventh -- and lowered his ERA to 1.79, best in the majors. In going 8-0 in 12 starts since May 23, he has a 1.27 ERA over 92 1/3 innings.

Somewhere out there, Jeff Weaver is huffing paint.

Clayton Kershaw labored through 6 2/3 innings, throwing a career-high 125 pitches without retiring the side in order at any point in the game. Yet he was able to make the right pitches at the right time and grind out another impressive victory..."I think pitching with guys on base and battling is more fatiguing than going 1-2-3 and throwing 150 pitches," Kershaw said.

Somewhere out there, Tim McCarver can't quite work out that logic.

Oh, also, there was pretty much the worst call of all time at the end of the 19 inning Braves/Pirates marathon. Yeesh.

Happy Birthday to:

Shea Hillenbrand: In the era of Carl Everett, Carlos Zambrano, and Milton Bradley, Shea Hillenbrand is a really underrated member of the crazy train. He had a couple of inexplicable All-Star team selections. His "similar batters" on Baseball Reference include the great Marty Cordova, Todd Hollandsworth and Ben Grieve, that great triumvirate of Rookies of the Year who were never heard from again. He started out promisingly enough for the Sox, but he didn't quite understand that there was a strike zone and he thought defense was some sort of conceptual performance art. So beloved nerd Theo Epstein signed Bill Mueller, prompting Shea to allegedly challenge his GM, "Trade me, [archaic term for a bundle of sticks.]" A couple of years later, after bouncing around to Toronto, he publicly called out his team for not playing him every day. Oh, also, they didn't congratulate him enough on adopting a child. This offense was enough to get into fisticuffs with Manager John Gibbons. (Though to be fair, taking 90 extra seconds in the hot tub is enough to get clocked by Gibbons.) Next stop was the California Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, where he thoughtfully remarked, "If I'm not going to play here, give me enough respect to trade me or get rid of me." They obliged. He didn't last in MLB much longer, and now apparently owns a bunch of dogs. Last week he told the IRS, "Audit me, dicknose," and told his doctor, "If you can't finish this check-up in less than five minutes, at least have the decency to kill me."

Alex Emmanuel Rodriguez: Now from a guy who thinks he's A-Rod to a guy who is A-Rod. He's got the homers, the Yankeeness, the ego, the girlfriends, the HGH, and everything else you already know going on. However, I know where he had his 5th birthday party. I work for a park conservancy here in NYC, and at one point last year, I met with A-Rod's older half brother. Very nice guy, even if he did look EXACTLY like a short, fat A-Rod. (I call him "Bridge Troll A-Rod.") But amongst other things, I learned that A-Rod had his 5th birthday party at Van Cortlandt Park in the Bronx. One wold assume he rocked the hell out of Pin the Tail on the Donkey, although to be fair his blindfold was a little loose.

Enrique Wilson: Very solid bench player for the Indians and Yankees. Solid fielder in multiple positions, decent contact, some pop. We Yankees fans remember him primarily for three things.
Thing the first: For some reason, dude just owned Pedro Martinez. When Pedro was pitching, it wasn't rare for Jeter or Soriano to sit so that Enrique could get his reps.
Thing the second: Speaking of Red Sox Hall of Famers, Enrique was partying it up with Manny Ramirez at a hotel while Manny was sitting out with a "sore throat." An underrated incident in Manny being Manny lore.
Thing the third: A jealous Zeus temporarily stole Mariano Rivera's power for an inning in November, 2001. When the Yankees lost that World Series and there was no victory parade to attend, Enrique canceled his original flight reservation and flew home to the D.R. a few days early. That original flight, American Airlines 587, crashed into Belle Harbor, Queens shortly after takeoff, killing all on board (including my next-door neighbors). A close call.

On that somber note, what do you want to talk about today? That call last night, which is up there with Gallaraga and Knoblauch's phantom tag as the worst in recent memory? Lincecum day? Something else? Play nice.
Last edited by CharlatanSin on Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
She said always remember never to trust me
She said that the first night that she met me
She said "there's gonna be a time when I'm gonna have to go with whoever's gonna get me the highest."
CharlatanSin
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 7/27: Venting, Asdrubal's Ding Dongs, Carsten Charles

Postby DbacksRback » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:20 am

Really huring with Mccann going down on the DL.
Have to pick between Ruiz, Salty, K.Suzuki, Arencibia. Any suggestions?

DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby DbacksRback » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:27 am

Also cool side note. Michael Bourn has more SB than 4 other MLB teams rosters combined.

I got Hamels, Lewis, Norris, Scherzer tonight
Last edited by DbacksRback on Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:30 am

Aquired King Felix yesterday. Not thrilled about throwing him in there against NYY for his first start, especially after he got roughed up by Boston in his last start. But how can you bench him? Also have Greinke going. Probably leaving Kuroda on the bench as I really need to cut down on innings. Which means LA will finally give him run support.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby SpecialFNK » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:47 am

I'm also trying to decide on who replaces McCann. catcher is weak. I'm trying to pick between- Ross, Olivo, Torrealba, Ruiz, Hernandez, Suzuki, McKenry, Arencibia, Ramos.
I think I'm leaning towards Arencibia.

I'm not sure about starting Norris tonight at St.Louis. his home/away splits are pretty different.
home- 2.93 ERA/ 1.24 WHIP/ .219 BAA
away- 4.94 ERA/ 1.37 WHIP/ .288 BAA
his one start this season at Busch- 5 IP, 5 ER.
however, career at Busch- 31 IP, 2.90 ERA/ 1.19 WHIP/ .234 BAA
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 103)

Postby wrveres » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:53 am

Last week he told the IRS, "Audit me, dicknose," .... LMAO!!
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)

Postby wrveres » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:54 am

i laughed at that for a good five minutes. baseball needs more shea hillenbrands.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)

Postby bigken117 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:03 am

wrveres wrote:i laughed at that for a good five minutes. baseball needs more shea hillenbrands.

I typically tl;dr the write-ups, but when I saw Hillenbrand I knew reading that one would be worthwhile :-b

Starting Javier Vazquez in Washington and Trevor Cahill (hosting TB)

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 251)

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:14 am

Today is the day that the success of my week hinges on, after I got Morrow'd last night... Colby Lewis vs MIN, James Shields @ OAK, and Cory Luebke vs ARI... please, please please... :-o
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 377)

Postby RedHopeful » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:48 am

:-°

At least I've got some Luebke for tonight. ;-7

Going back to the start of last week, my pitchers in one league have compiled a ghastly 2-13 record (yes stupid losses count). !+)

Also giving Vazquez, Cain, Scherzer and Shields a go.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 85)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers