Prospect for Closer Trade - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Prospect for Closer Trade

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Prospect for Closer Trade

Postby TheIceman131 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:47 pm

Looking for opinions on this trade. I play in a head to head keeper league, where we are allowed 4 keepers and then to keep anyone who still has rookie eligibility.

Anyways, I need to upgrade at my pitching staff as I'm looking to replace Frank Francisco as well as Wandy Rodriguez, sine they're underperforming this year.

What are everyone's thoughts on giving up Julio Teheran for Jonathan Papelbon. I'm looking to bolster my staff as I'm making a playoff push and think I can win it with an upgrade or two.
TheIceman131
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Prospect for Closer Trade

Postby RedHopeful » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:53 pm

I say if you really think it helps you win it this season, pull the string. IMO Teheran is going to take a couple more years before people will start consider keeping him. Thus, you wouldn't even hang onto him after next season anyways.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby plapre3 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:55 pm

Without seeing the rest of your roster, this seems like a classic win now-mortgage the future a bit trade. You fill a need while not giving up anything that will hurt you this year. Teheran is a great prospect, but slowly some experts are souring on him compared to others. In fact I think Goldstein, or Law, or someone like that just ranked Arodys Vizcaino ahead of him. It's not a huge deal, but I mention it because of opportunity cost. I find that in most leagues like this there are usually similar, or slightly less valuable prospects to be had on the ww. If you have someone to drop and still want to, you can make this deal AND not give up much in terms of future value. My guess is that you'd want someone near ML ready. Is Vizcaino available? Another guy that I think will be up soon and contributing, though not a blue chip prospect (yet?) is Brad Peacock. Maybe you can look into him.

If you like, put a list together of available minor leaguers and let me help you pick someone. Please return the favor:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=435517&p=3433242#p3433242
plapre3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheIceman131 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:00 pm

Yeah, this definitely is a mortgage the future to win now kind of situation. I didn't know that Julio had started dropping on the boards since all I've been hearing from cbssports.com is that they Braves really like this kid. It does look like Brad Peacock is available too, although I've never heard of him before.
TheIceman131
T-Ball Trainer

Postby plapre3 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:22 pm

Thanks for the help with mine.

With such a league setting, the value of a minor leaguer is maximized and worth it in 2 major situations: 1) The player is an elite talent that is expected to produce at a very high level upon callup and 2) The player is likely to start the following season with a starting gig. The former is the toughest to pull off, but I think the most lucrative as even top callups are bound to struggle right away (Rizzo, Mouzakas, Belt, this year alone) and you walk the fin line of that player losing eligibility if the are called up this year. So the trick is to get guys that will get a cup of coffee right around this time (or really a week or two later to assure rookie eligibility won't be exhausted). If it's a pitcher you want, I'd rank guys that fit these descriptions in order:

Matt Moore
Shelby Miller
Julio Teheran
Arodys Vizcaino
Brad Peackock (He's not an elite prospect as he came out of nowhere this year, but I just think most people are slow to catch on. He's a top 25 SP prospect and will likely get a cup of coffee. Nearly ready, he should see significant time in the majors next year... and if he impresses in a callup late this sumer and posts a solid spring could join with Stasburg and Zimmermann to form a heckuva nice foundation of a rotation.)

As for hitters that fit this mold:
Brett Lawrie
Devin Mesoraco
Paul Goldschmidt

Thanks again for the help.
plapre3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheIceman131 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:37 pm

Happy to help anyone that is willing to help me.

Thanks for the list of prospects I haven't heard of yet as well. Those should be sure to come in handy at the end of the year.
TheIceman131
T-Ball Trainer

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions