Buatista, Pedroia, Holliday, Reyes trade vetoed. Right move - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Buatista, Pedroia, Holliday, Reyes trade vetoed. Right move

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Buatista, Pedroia, Holliday, Reyes trade vetoed. Right move

Postby lyons595 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:20 pm

I think I know the answer already, but I thought I'd put it up to the minds in the Cafe. The league (4 votes out of 16 teams) vetoed the trade. I think it is fair, but the team getting Holliday & Reyes wins.
Team 1: overall 1st place. Just lost CarGo the DL, and his OF is thin: Abreu, A Soriano, Pierre.
Team 2: overall 3rd place. Is playing Ryan Roberts at 3B, Ackley at 2B. OF is decent: Holliday, Stubbs, Quentin, D Jennings.
They are brothers, BTW.

Team 1: gets: Holliday, Reyes, Ackley, Ryan Roberts
Team 2 gets: Pedroia, Bautista

THOUGHTS?
lyons595
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 217)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Buatista, Pedroia, Holliday, Reyes trade vetoed. Right

Postby bigmck » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:37 am

The fact that they are brothers should not enter into it. You should not have let both of them into the league if you didn't want them to trade with each other. == No trade is equal. Someone always wins. Only if a trade is very lopsided should it be vetoed. This one does not qualify as a veto. == Having four veto votes out of 16 to overturn a trade is far too few. With 16 owners you have 14 not involved in the trade. If seven of the 14 veto, that is fine but four is too low. You are allowing 25% to rule over 75%. What is wrong with that picture?
Last edited by bigmck on Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 61)

Postby mkultra » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:32 am

Completely agree with bigmck. Two managers shouldn't be wholesale prevented from trading for any reason. And 4 votes to veto is WAY too low a threshold.

And the trade isn't even egregiously imbalanced.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby converge241 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:35 am

trade is totally fair,

maybe theres some illusion of concern with the one team getting more bodies and likely hes "winning" the deal but there no problem with this one at all

If you put any weight on the worry of reyes' injury risk team B might be getting the best two players all things considered. But that's a debatale point depending on your POV/opinion. I think most would agree team A wins the deal but I wouldnt sweat it too much!
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Postby Slapweasel » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:08 pm

There's not much more I can add to what has already been said. Look over all the points mentioned above, because they are valid and wise. Alleged collusion where there is none does a lot of damage to the "psyche" of a league; and "tyranny of the minority" cannot be allowed to overturn a trade.
-The Self-Proclaimed Voice Of Truth And Reason-
-Your Friendly Neighborhood Slapweasel-
...I'm Your Huckleberry.
Slapweasel
College Coach
College Coach

Postby CyboNinja » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:23 pm

It almost seems like it was voted down not because it was unfair, but the 4 owners didn't want them to improve their respective teams. That trade made a lot of sense for both teams and it was balanced enough that it should not have been vetoed. I would be pissed off if I were one of the 2 owners...
CyboNinja
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 96)

Return to Commissioner's Corner