Trade Stubbs/Zobrist/Chisenhall for R. Zimmerman/Soria?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Trade Stubbs/Zobrist/Chisenhall for R. Zimmerman/Soria??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Trade Stubbs/Zobrist/Chisenhall for R. Zimmerman/Soria??

Postby mm92280 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:00 pm

I am in 9th place (but slowly rising) in a 20 team H2H keeper league and I've been looking to upgrade/fill holes for my team for the playoff run. I've had holes at closer for quite awhile due to injuries/ineffectiveness (Contreras, Fuentes) and trades (Nunez). I have Mike Adams and am counting on him to be a quality closer for me if/when Heath Bell gets traded (I'm hoping, at least). If not, then he can still remain a quality setup man who helps me with holds, ERA, WHIP. I have also had a revolving door at 3rd base, since Pedro Alvarez (my opening day 3rd baseman) has provided so little offense.

So, with that in mind, I am considering offering Drew Stubbs, Ben Zobrist and Lonnie Chisenhall to the owner that is in 19th place for his combo of Ryan Zimmerman and Joakim Soria. Zimmerman would immediately be a big upgrade at 3rd base for me and, obviously, a potential quality keeper (unless he absolutely tanks the rest of the way). Soria would give me a good quality closer to assist in that area (and possibly team with Adams to be a strong closing duo, if Adams takes over the job in San Diego). Carlos Gonzalez and/or Lorenzo Cain (when he gets promoted due to Melky Cabrera/Francoeur trade) would take over in CF for Drew Stubbs. Zobrist has played almost exclusively at 2nd for me and I have Mark Ellis and Gordon Beckham to fill in there. I still have outfield depth, as I have Alex Gordon, Travis Snider and Eric Thames to man LF and RF respectively.

To help you with my league's scoring, we have all of the usual offensive categories (AVG, R, HR, RBI, SB) except that we also count OPS.
For pitching, we have all of the usual categories (Wins, SV, ERA, WHIP, Ks), except that we also count holds (which is where Adams and O'Flaherty come in).

What do you guys think of this offer? Is that a reasonable one to send to the other guy?

C: C. Santana (C, 1B)
1B: R. Howard (1B)
2B: B. Zobrist (2B, RF)
SS: B. Ryan (SS)
3B: L. Chisenhall (3B)
LF: C. Gonzalez (LF, CF, RF) -DL
CF: D. Stubbs (CF)
RF: T. Snider (RF, LF)
Util: A. Gordon (LF)
Util: E. Thames (LF, RF)
Bn: M. Ellis (2B)
Bn: P. Alvarez (3B)
Bn: G. Beckham (2B)
Bn: J. Guzman (SS, 1B)
Bn: L. Cain (CF)
DL: J. Lowrie (SS, 2B, 3B)

SP: C. Hamels
SP: A. Sanchez
SP: J. Karstens
SP: R. Dempster
SP: T. Stauffer
SP: H. Bailey
RP: M. Adams
RP: E. O'Flaherty

Thanks for the help!
mm92280
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Trade Stubbs/Zobrist/Chisenhall for R. Zimmerman/Soria??

Postby ATLbraves » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:18 pm

I think you are giving up a little too much in this trade, I would take out Stubbs or Zobrist and see if you can include someone like Pedro Alvarez instead. I think that would make the trade more fair for you.

help with mine please:
viewtopic.php?f=94&t=435490

Free Fantasy Consultant - https://twitter.com/FantasyChat247

Twitter - @FantasyChat247
ATLbraves
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mm92280 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:34 pm

ATLbraves wrote:I think you are giving up a little too much in this trade, I would take out Stubbs or Zobrist and see if you can include someone like Pedro Alvarez instead. I think that would make the trade more fair for you.

help with mine please:

I appreciate the help. However, I just don't think taking Stubbs or Zobrist out and putting Pedro Alvarez in is going to be acceptable to the vast majority of owners. While I think Alvarez could be a good hitter long-term, he has very little value right now since he has been non-productive. The only reason I have him on my team at this point is simply because it is 20 teamer. If it was anything less than that, I probably would have released him a long time ago. As it is, I am hoping he comes back up in the next few weeks ang gives something to the Pirates (and my fantasy team) but I am not banking on it.
mm92280
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TrueNorthChamp » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:41 pm

Given how Chissenhal has performed I can see how you would offer this, but I still like him longterm.

Considering who you are plugging in to replace these players I think I would hold onto what I currently have, and hope that Chisenhall in 2012 becomes what he was supposed to be.
TrueNorthChamp
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby ATLbraves » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:45 pm

mm92280 wrote:
ATLbraves wrote:I think you are giving up a little too much in this trade, I would take out Stubbs or Zobrist and see if you can include someone like Pedro Alvarez instead. I think that would make the trade more fair for you.

help with mine please:

I appreciate the help. However, I just don't think taking Stubbs or Zobrist out and putting Pedro Alvarez in is going to be acceptable to the vast majority of owners. While I think Alvarez could be a good hitter long-term, he has very little value right now since he has been non-productive. The only reason I have him on my team at this point is simply because it is 20 teamer. If it was anything less than that, I probably would have released him a long time ago. As it is, I am hoping he comes back up in the next few weeks ang gives something to the Pirates (and my fantasy team) but I am not banking on it.

Yeah I agree, was just trying to say it would be a good starting point to gauge his interest in the trade. Then you could determine who to include based off his counter-offer. I really just dont think Zimmerman has proven enough this year for you to trade Stubbs and Zobrist for him.

Free Fantasy Consultant - https://twitter.com/FantasyChat247

Twitter - @FantasyChat247
ATLbraves
General Manager
General Manager

Postby segerfan83 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:58 pm

Well, I think I would do it in the end, but I would see what you could get away with first, like the poster above said. I like Stubbs a lot. Not sure why, but I just think he is great. Here's why I think you can get away with giving up less. Zimmerman is still not quite up to speed yet and Soria has been shaky this year. I would substitute Alvarez for Stubbs.

Help with mine please:
viewtopic.php?t=435496
segerfan83
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 15)

Postby mm92280 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:23 pm

To answer the Chisenhall 2012 question, we get to keep a max of 5 players at the end of each season. Unless Chisenhall has a really good final 2 months, I don't see any way that I would even try to keep him. I have 5 players on my roster that I would easily see keeping ahead of him right now: Carlos Santana, Ryan Howard, Carlos Gonzalez, Drew Stubbs and Cole Hamels. With a gun to my head, those guys would be my 5 keepers today. A guy like Travis Snider or Thames or Chisenhall could sneak into that top 5 if they have a really good final 2 months. However, they would have to do very well for me to decide not to keep Stubbs, or Santana or Howard (or any of those five).

I can reiterate that Alvarez has basically no trade value. I tried shopping him not too long ago and couldn't really even get a roster-worthy offensive player for him. Believe me when I say that he wouldn't do anything for me in making this trade work. As an FYI, in the last week I offered Zobrist and Alex Gordon to this owner for Zimmerman and Soria and it was rejected. So, I think the next step up is to offer Stubbs/Zobrist and Chisenhall. That way, he gets a replacement 3rd baseman who might or might not be any good at the MLB level and 2 good quality outfielders, with one of them - Zobrist - having 2B eligiblity, which this particular owner needs.
mm92280
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mm92280 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:40 pm

It took him awhile to get back to me. I made the offer listed (Stubbs, Zobrist and Chisenhall) for Ryan Zimmerman and Soria and he turned it down and didn't even make a counter. I honestly thought that was more than enough to get the deal done. I seriously doubt that I am going to take another stab at it with this owner because I've tried several different angles on the deal and he just won't budge. I can't see myself sweetening the deal anymore because that would absolutely be overpaying, IMO.
mm92280
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions