Any pitchers you guys are targeting for the second half? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Any pitchers you guys are targeting for the second half?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Any pitchers you guys are targeting for the second half?

Postby CMCrai » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:50 pm

I was wondering if there were some pitchers you guys were targeting for the rest of the season to turn it around. I have Haren and Cahill so I know he's already used his bullets and Cahill is a gas can.

Maybe Grienke will turn it around?
Nolasco?
Derek Lowe usually has a good second half.
Buy low guys? Trade targets?
Thanks.
CMCrai
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Any pitchers you guys are targeting for the second half?

Postby Surfs up » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:46 am

Keep in mind it really ISN'T the second half. Only a little over two months left in the season. The second half started three weeks ago. What have the pitchers you mentioned done since the 1st of July? What changes after the ASB other than there were only about 68-70 games left for most teams? Does something magical happen? I still don't understand why when we get to the break( everybody well not everybody because I don't )calls it the first and second half. More like 58/42 Those 10-12 games could be two to three starts.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 199)

Postby SpecialFNK » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:43 am

if one wants to get technical, the exact 1st and 2nd half are different for some teams in certain seasons. if we're talking about 162 game schedule breaking in half to 81 games, then teams that start the season earlier than others will have their 1st half end before the other teams.

this pitcher wont be available on the wire and he is already one of the top pitchers in the league, but CC Sabathia usually pitches better in the 2nd half of the season.
Matt Cain is another pitcher that comes to mind of someone who usually does better in the 2nd half.
I haven't looked up the stats, but a pitcher I've seen mentioned as someone who does better in the 2nd half is Bronson Arroyo.

there was another thread somewhere that mentioned hitters and pitchers who usually do better in the 2nd half.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 83)

Postby Surfs up » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:25 am

SpecialFNK wrote:if one wants to get technical, the exact 1st and 2nd half are different for some teams in certain seasons. if we're talking about 162 game schedule breaking in half to 81 games, then teams that start the season earlier than others will have their 1st half end before the other teams.

this pitcher wont be available on the wire and he is already one of the top pitchers in the league, but CC Sabathia usually pitches better in the 2nd half of the season.
Matt Cain is another pitcher that comes to mind of someone who usually does better in the 2nd half.
I haven't looked up the stats, but a pitcher I've seen mentioned as someone who does better in the 2nd half is Bronson Arroyo.

there was another thread somewhere that mentioned hitters and pitchers who usually do better in the 2nd half.

I believe I mentioned the difference in the games remaining which is the same thing.And after the ASB still sin't the second half.No matter when the season started .
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 199)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:32 am

Madison Bumgarner has been pretty unlucky and his ERA and record doesn't really reflect how well he's been pitching. Definitely a guy I'd try to target.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 425)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:07 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:Madison Bumgarner has been pretty unlucky and his ERA and record doesn't really reflect how well he's been pitching. Definitely a guy I'd try to target.

i got him for Torres about a month ago...aside from that day he got shelled i've been happy with the move
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby thatguy27 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:14 pm

Dempster is someone to consider who can probably be had for very cheap right now. Will be interesting to see if he gets traded...
thatguy27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)

Return to Baseball Leftovers