Beltre/Bourgeois/Lester DL Roster Issue HELP! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Beltre/Bourgeois/Lester DL Roster Issue HELP!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Beltre/Bourgeois/Lester DL Roster Issue HELP!

Postby MadDog36 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:04 pm

Roto Scoring:
B: R HR XBH RBI SB AVG OBP
P: K W SV HD ERA WHIP K/9

Issue:
Ok my issue is this: Beltre has strained his hamstring, probably means he's going on the DL so I had to put Bautista back to 3b and move Heyward into my OF which is ok since he is showing signs of life. Problem: I have Lester (scheduled to come off the DL and start Monday) and Bourgeois also scheduled to come off the DL and should get regular playing time in LF. Even more so if Bourn or Pence are dealt. He's had too good a year to dump him and I need his BA to offset Heyward. Presley is young and this is a keeper league and 2 GMs have posted: Looking for young talent to build on. My team is way way in first place, but the problem is I'm only competitive in the pitching categories top 2-3 or in everything but holds and K/9 which I'm mid-pack and could actually improve in these areas.

However, a couple of my SP have shaky or average K/9s and my MRP are top notch for this category and holds to keep me afloat and there are two teams chasing me down in those categories and one is second to me in the offensive categories which I have a commanding lead in R HR XBH BA.

Most leagues are not like this, i see my MRP options are only owned in 7/10 of 1% in ESPN leagues but this league is that rare exception which counts all major counting stats and thusly he's valuable. Another issue is my SP are only 6 deep right now and I can ill afford to jettison one although it would be my best option (maybe Tim Hudson/Cueto/Masterson?) there again though he's looked great lately and his K rate has improved to more along his career norm. And with Cueto he's a stud minus his slightly lower-than-average K/9 and not to mention Masterson is pitching lights out, as is Worley and Vogelsong.

I can get away with keeping Bourgeois stashed illegally, however I am morally against this. But to move Lester off the DL for his start, I'd probably have to move Jason also and I don't really see a lot of drop candidates on my roster that wouldn't get snatched up out of FA or hurt me where I need help in. I know being way in first is a good thing, but I cannot afford to jettison an irreplaceable player that helps me in the categories which I need. One issue is if Beltre goes on the DL, I can just switch one so that would leave me with only one drop, but that is hopeful on Beltre going on the DL before Monday's daily lock time AND I need Hardy's power at UTL for now while Beltre is out to keep pace at the very least. Plus, I don't have a lot of speed other than Bourn and I need Bonafacio for that. I'm in second for SB but there are a couple of teams nipping at my heals....

Can't offer any trades B/C of the roster problem...There is a guy with Cliff Lee, Dan Hudson Drew Storen and Ian Kennedy who needs a SS and I'm seeing I can pry one away with a combo of an OF and Hardy...which he said he might do.

And oh by the way Desmond Jennings is available AND unowned on anyone's prospect list. I actually owned him before....Also available: (see any switches?) Helton has been very valuable.

Other Key FAs: Cozart (unowned), Brandon Allen (1b/OF), Josh Willingham, Bartlett, Bourjos, Chipper, Stewart, Karstens, Correia, Gee, Harang, Choate, Resop, Lynn, Brothers, Spence...

Roster:
C Alex Avila, Det C
1B Adrian Gonzalez, Bos 1B
2B Ian Kinsler, Tex 2B
3B Jose Bautista, Tor 3B, OF
SS Troy Tulowitzki, Col SS
2B/SS Emilio Bonifacio, Fla OF, 3B, SS
1B/3B Todd Helton, Col 1B
OF Nelson Cruz, Tex OF
OF Michael Bourn, Hou OF
OF Jason Heyward, Atl OF
OF Michael Morse, Was OF, 1B
OF Alex Presley, Pit OF
UTIL Adrian Beltre, Tex 3B DTD
Bench J.J. Hardy, Bal SS
DL Jason Bourgeois, Hou OF

PITCHERS
P Tim Hudson, Atl SP PP
P John Axford, Mil RP
P Huston Street, Col RP
P Kyle Farnsworth, TB RP
P David Robertson, NYY RP
P Antonio Bastardo, Phi RP
P Ryan Vogelsong, SF RP, SP
P Grant Balfour, Oak RP
P Eric O'Flaherty, Atl RP
Bench Cole Hamels, Phi SP
Bench Johnny Cueto, Cin SP
Bench Justin Masterson, Cle SP
Bench Vance Worley, Phi RP, SP
DL Jon Lester*, Bos SP DL15 PP
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 3601)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Beltre/Bourgeois/Lester DL Roster Issue HELP!

Postby RedHopeful » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:48 pm

In your case, rest of season predictions are very important. If you can't make a deal to help alleviate your roster (something that I did just this week), you'll have to let at least one of these guys go. I know what Bourgeois has done this season but I'm simply not a believer he both remains healthy ROS and keeps producing at this level. Hard for me to believe Jennings is floating out there too. I feel you've almost got to give him a chance over a guy like Presley who has a good chance of regressing some or faces playing time issues when Tabata returns + Pirates trade for another OF.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 159)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Bolthead04 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:10 pm

Especially if Pence/Bourn are traded.... If they are in fact traded, the weak Astros lineup would be even worse. Bourgeois may get more playing time, but I do believe that peripherals count for something. I wouldn't want a good bat in a bad lineup, so I would actually call him as a drop candidate.

I would also consider Presley as a drop candidate. There just might not be room for him to be a regular starter this year. But, given the Pirates future, I would drop Bourgeois before him.

Jennings, I'm not sold on. He *had* to come up for the Rays this year being he's 25 and that's how their system usually works in its bizarre way (and others who came up at 21 are playing incredibly at 24/25 nowadays). If he was to be great, he would have been up ages ago. The Rays offense isn't prolific either, so I'm not buying into him being a solid add just yet. (Also consider, I believe he's batting like .279 this year in the minors?)

As always, the best thing to do is try to work a 2 for 1 trade. If that can't happen, someone has to go. Just try to choose whoever does the least damage to your team with a departure.
First Year-First Team

Last Week: 9-2-0
Overall: 141-80-10 (16-5 by the week)
Bolthead04 Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ATLbraves » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:29 pm

RedHopeful wrote: Hard for me to believe Jennings is floating out there too. I feel you've almost got to give him a chance over a guy like Presley who has a good chance of regressing some or faces playing time issues when Tabata returns + Pirates trade for another OF.

The most ideal thing would be for you to work a 2 for 1 trade, but if you can't do this then you should go after Jennings. Looks like the Pirates are going to work a trade and grab another OF'er and Tabata should be returning soon so that will take playing time away from Presley.

help with mine please:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=435414

Free Fantasy Consultant - https://twitter.com/FantasyChat247

Twitter - @FantasyChat247
ATLbraves
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 325)

Postby billycent » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:38 pm

2 for 1 for another high k/9 starter I'd say is almost a must. And I have no problem cutting Presley and or Bourgeois w/ur lineup to make room for Lest and possibly grab Jennings. Thnx for the help on mine.
billycent
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MadDog36 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:44 am

I dumped Presley for Jennings. Bourgeois I'm going to keep for awhile for OF depth, speed, and what not. If he struggles I'll find a suitable replacement.
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby MadDog36 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:42 am

Two new trades:
Send Desmond Jennings, TB OF from OF to Outlaws
Send Jon Lester*, Bos SP from DL to Outlaws
Receive Aramis Ramirez, ChC 3B from Outlaws to Bench
Receive Scott Baker, Min SP from Outlaws to Bench
Receive John Danks, CWS SP from Outlaws to Bench

Send Jason Heyward, Atl OF from OF to Outlaws
Send Desmond Jennings, TB OF from OF to Outlaws
Send Johnny Cueto, Cin SP from Bench to Outlaws
Receive Andre Ethier, LAD OF from Outlaws to Bench
Receive Carlos Pena, ChC 1B from Outlaws to Bench
Receive Scott Baker, Min SP from Outlaws to Bench

No to both of these right. Ethier is overrated. Pena is garbage and Baker eh, not worth giving up Heyward AND Jennings right. I'd like Baker or Danks and Aramis. What could I counter with?
I'd be willing to deal Jennings and something, what should I counter with? No way in hell I trade Lester for anything.
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby RedHopeful » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:50 pm

MadDog36 wrote:No to both of these right. Ethier is overrated. Pena is garbage and Baker eh, not worth giving up Heyward AND Jennings right. I'd like Baker or Danks and Aramis. What could I counter with?
I'd be willing to deal Jennings and something, what should I counter with? No way in hell I trade Lester for anything.

Precisely. Not sure how many keepers your league retains per year but could Jennings for Baker be plausible?
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 159)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions