Norway's One Man Wrecking Crew - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Norway's One Man Wrecking Crew

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Norway's One Man Wrecking Crew

Postby Neato Torpedo » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:08 am

wrveres wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:If we got laptops, big screens, grief counselors, and psychiatrists all for free, wouldn't it make sense to use them to make the U.S. prison system into an anti-recidivism system like Norway rather than a punishment system like we have now? Obviously this can never happen, but if we could, we should.
no.

Why
Image

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
Posts: 8618
Joined: 4 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: we don't burn gasoline, we burn our dreams

Re: Norway's One Man Wrecking Crew

Postby TheRock » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:02 am

Neato Torpedo wrote:
wrveres wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:If we got laptops, big screens, grief counselors, and psychiatrists all for free, wouldn't it make sense to use them to make the U.S. prison system into an anti-recidivism system like Norway rather than a punishment system like we have now? Obviously this can never happen, but if we could, we should.
no.

Why


Well, for one, if we're investing public resources into preparing people to be successful members of society, we start with those who have not raped/murdered/abused/stolen/etc. Why should we reward such things?
Image
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 3055
(Past Year: 6)
Joined: 16 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: America's Heartland

Re: Norway's One Man Wrecking Crew

Postby Neato Torpedo » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:24 am

TheRock wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:
wrveres wrote:no.

Why


Well, for one, if we're investing public resources into preparing people to be successful members of society, we start with those who have not raped/murdered/abused/stolen/etc. Why should we reward such things?

Because punishing them makes them more likely to become criminals again. You have to ask yourself which is more important, making criminals feel like crap or turning them into productive citizens? I'd rather criminals feel like crap AND come out of prison ready to contribute to society, but you can't have both. Given the choice, I'd lean towards the productive citizen route.
Image

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
Posts: 8618
Joined: 4 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: we don't burn gasoline, we burn our dreams

Re: Norway's One Man Wrecking Crew

Postby wrveres » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:15 am

Neato Torpedo wrote:Yeah Government!
okay, i spent some time reading up on the Scandinavian prison systems, and its kind of interesting to say the least. At no point did i find anything that disproved my original point, that lack of education breeds crime. As a matter of fact once imprisoned, some of these prisons actually pay the prisoners to get an education.

First off. Using percentage of population in jail, and recidivism rates, are not the tools to be using here. The crimes rates remain unchanged. The Scandinavian system actually goes out of there way to avoid putting people in prison. They'll try everything from mediation between the victim and criminal, to lots and lots of probation with ankle monitoring, anything but prison. So those rates aren't a fair comparison.

Secondly, i agree with a number things that they do. Im not talking free laptops and big screens, but for softer crimes, probation, monitoring, and an "Education" is a system i could get behind.

All of these countries still run a prison somewhere not unlike the United States, but its used for the worst offenders. Since there populations are a tiny percentage of the US, they obviously have quite a bit less of the hardened types.

One report i read claimed Finland saved $200 million over 20 years. That's nothing really. That's 10 million a year, or the equivalent yearly budget of your local McDonald's franchisee. So they aren't really saving. Something else i found is that the State itself, often pays the victim too, and im guessing that's totally different line in the budget.
Many of these "open society" prisons actually have a two to one guard to prisoner ratio, and everything is done electronically.

Another thing i found interesting, is that when a prisoner does get out of Jail, the state actually finds them a home and a job if needed, instead of letting them walk out the front door with a bus ticket. Again your dealing with a very small percentage of people here, which makes it relatively easy to manage.

Its different, i'll grant you that, and there are some things to be learned there, and many i could get behind. There are also many I could never get behind.
Even after all these changes over the last 30 years, their crime rates remain the same. They are just handled very differently.

So again ... Education is the key.
poor education breeds poverty. poverty breeds crime.
Its the same in Scandinavia cities too.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31781
(Past Year: 734)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Norway's One Man Wrecking Crew

Postby wrveres » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:17 am

this thread cost me my Jester icon. that bites.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31781
(Past Year: 734)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Norway's One Man Wrecking Crew

Postby AussieDodger » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:46 am

wrveres wrote:this thread cost me my Jester icon. that bites.


Make some more funnies and it'll come back ;-7
Crappily made photoshops usually do the trick :-b
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Posts: 11362
(Past Year: 24)
Joined: 22 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: What do you mean, Flash Gordon approaching?

Re: Norway's One Man Wrecking Crew

Postby Neato Torpedo » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:42 am

wrveres wrote:okay, i spent some time reading up on the Scandinavian prison systems, and its kind of interesting to say the least. At no point did i find anything that disproved my original point, that lack of education breeds crime. As a matter of fact once imprisoned, some of these prisons actually pay the prisoners to get an education.

First off. Using percentage of population in jail, and recidivism rates, are not the tools to be using here. The crimes rates remain unchanged. The Scandinavian system actually goes out of there way to avoid putting people in prison. They'll try everything from mediation between the victim and criminal, to lots and lots of probation with ankle monitoring, anything but prison. So those rates aren't a fair comparison.

Secondly, i agree with a number things that they do. Im not talking free laptops and big screens, but for softer crimes, probation, monitoring, and an "Education" is a system i could get behind.

All of these countries still run a prison somewhere not unlike the United States, but its used for the worst offenders. Since there populations are a tiny percentage of the US, they obviously have quite a bit less of the hardened types.

One report i read claimed Finland saved $200 million over 20 years. That's nothing really. That's 10 million a year, or the equivalent yearly budget of your local McDonald's franchisee. So they aren't really saving. Something else i found is that the State itself, often pays the victim too, and im guessing that's totally different line in the budget.
Many of these "open society" prisons actually have a two to one guard to prisoner ratio, and everything is done electronically.

Another thing i found interesting, is that when a prisoner does get out of Jail, the state actually finds them a home and a job if needed, instead of letting them walk out the front door with a bus ticket. Again your dealing with a very small percentage of people here, which makes it relatively easy to manage.

Its different, i'll grant you that, and there are some things to be learned there, and many i could get behind. There are also many I could never get behind.
Even after all these changes over the last 30 years, their crime rates remain the same. They are just handled very differently.

So again ... Education is the key.
poor education breeds poverty. poverty breeds crime.
Its the same in Scandinavia cities too.

Glad to see you finally agreed. :-)

The question started off in response to people's indignation to a sentence of only 21 years plus however long it takes for him to be ruled not dangerous. Like you said, the Yeah Government! system seems to work extremely well given the way Scandinavian countries run things. There's no reason to demand punishment or retribution if their prison system is designed to reform even the insanest of terrorists into respectable productive citizens. Gaining a productive citizen is a better outcome than not gaining one. And if they can't make a productive citizen out of him in 21 years, he stays in prison/mental hospital until he does, or until he dies.

Incidentally, this topic inspired me to finally get around to reading Soul on Ice, which I almost finished during my epic drive back to Illinois from Florida. Eldridge Cleaver's story reminds me of Tookie Williams, who I always contended should have been paroled into some probation program instead of, you know, executed. I mean, the man was nominated for a freakin' Nobel Peace Prize and we still executed him. :-S
Last edited by Neato Torpedo on Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
Posts: 8618
Joined: 4 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: we don't burn gasoline, we burn our dreams

Re: Norway's One Man Wrecking Crew

Postby Neato Torpedo » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:42 am

wrveres wrote:this thread cost me my Jester icon. that bites.

Don't worry. You were hilarious in this thread. ;-D
Image

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
Posts: 8618
Joined: 4 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: we don't burn gasoline, we burn our dreams

Re: Norway's One Man Wrecking Crew

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:59 am

caught a few minutes of a documentary about Russian prisons
did not look like a very fun place :-o
Image
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 10225
Joined: 20 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Norway's One Man Wrecking Crew

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:55 pm

I'm admittedly too lazy to read the last three pages of this in full, but wrs, are you talking about a high school level education? College level education? They used to do the latter (in fact, my father taught college courses three nights a week at Green Haven Maximum Security Correctional Facility here in NY when I was younger) -- but then somebody said hey, they're getting for free what I paid $100,000 for -- which doesn't really seem to gel.
Image
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 24818
(Past Year: 354)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Saturday, Sep. 20
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

LA Dodgers at Chi Cubs
(1:05 pm)
Detroit at Kansas City
(1:05 pm)
Toronto at NY Yankees
(4:05 pm)
Philadelphia at Oakland
(4:05 pm)
Arizona at Colorado
(4:10 pm)
Boston at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Milwaukee at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
Chi White Sox at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Cleveland at Minnesota
(7:10 pm)
Washington at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Seattle at Houston
(7:10 pm)
NY Mets at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
Cincinnati at St. Louis
(7:15 pm)
San Francisco at San Diego
(8:40 pm)
Texas at LA Angels
(9:05 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact