Norway's One Man Wrecking Crew - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Norway's One Man Wrecking Crew

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Norway's One Man Wrecking Crew

Postby urbanbreez » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:34 pm

wrveres wrote:Simple. Once you admit that most crime is a by product of poverty, which is a by product of a poor education, and that kids today are entitled by educators whose number one concern is themselves, given ribbons for 10th place, and told how wonderful they are, when they aren't. They turn to what works. Crime. Kids have no choice but to find ways to cheat their way through life. Be it smaller crimes like shoplifting, (entitled to it) or harder crimes like robbery or assault, on up.

You've definitely oversimplified things here and though I don't agree with you, I respect the fact that you were able to explain why you think as you do. There is plenty crime coming from the more privileged and educated members in our society and I'd argue that crime is less a product of poverty and more a problem of the human condition known as greed. At the very least, the finger of blame should primarily spend its time on parents and occasionally wag towards "the village" but never the opposite. It's really a breakdown of the nuclear family at the root and the erosion of those ideals that contributed greatly to this generation's social deviants. In others words, women should spend more time makin my sammich.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3200
Joined: 24 Mar 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Los Angeles. U Jelly?

Re: Norway's One Man Wrecking Crew

Postby Neato Torpedo » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:36 am

wrveres wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:
wrveres wrote:Boy you sure give up easy. :-/

You don't want to prevent crime?
sure i do. id probably start with the public education system that cranks out an entitlement society, instead of showing these impressionable young minds the benefits of hard work.

Well if we improved our education system, we'd have fewer criminals. If we improved both our education system and our prison system, we'd have much fewer criminals. Why not both?
Image

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
Posts: 8618
Joined: 4 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: we don't burn gasoline, we burn our dreams

Re: Norway's One Man Wrecking Crew

Postby wrveres » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:53 am

well crap. i had a nice post up, and then my browser crashed. :-{

i am not discounting parents involvement, but those parents got their education at the same place. just saying.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31783
(Past Year: 692)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Norway's One Man Wrecking Crew

Postby wrveres » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:55 am

Neato Torpedo wrote:
wrveres wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:You don't want to prevent crime?
sure i do. id probably start with the public education system that cranks out an entitlement society, instead of showing these impressionable young minds the benefits of hard work.
Well if we improved our education system, we'd have fewer criminals.
because we have different ideas on how to fix it. You want more government and unions.

I want neither.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31783
(Past Year: 692)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Norway's One Man Wrecking Crew

Postby urbanbreez » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:41 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:
wrveres wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:You don't want to prevent crime?
sure i do. id probably start with the public education system that cranks out an entitlement society, instead of showing these impressionable young minds the benefits of hard work.

Well if we improved our education system, we'd have fewer criminals. If we improved both our education system and our prison system, we'd have much fewer criminals. Why not both?

Answer: limited resources.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3200
Joined: 24 Mar 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Los Angeles. U Jelly?

Re: Norway's One Man Wrecking Crew

Postby Neato Torpedo » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:31 pm

wrveres wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:
wrveres wrote:sure i do. id probably start with the public education system that cranks out an entitlement society, instead of showing these impressionable young minds the benefits of hard work.
Well if we improved our education system, we'd have fewer criminals.
because we have different ideas on how to fix it. You want more government and unions.

I want neither.

OK if we changed the education system the way you think it should be changed and reformed prisons to mimic Norway's (assuming we had two coupons for free education reform and free prison reform, not packaged for individual sale, cash value 1/20th of a cent), we would have fewer criminals, correct?
Image

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
Posts: 8618
Joined: 4 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: we don't burn gasoline, we burn our dreams

Re: Norway's One Man Wrecking Crew

Postby Neato Torpedo » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:32 pm

urbanbreez wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:
wrveres wrote:sure i do. id probably start with the public education system that cranks out an entitlement society, instead of showing these impressionable young minds the benefits of hard work.

Well if we improved our education system, we'd have fewer criminals. If we improved both our education system and our prison system, we'd have much fewer criminals. Why not both?

Answer: limited resources.

We're assuming two coupons for free education reform and free prison reform, not packaged for individual sale, cash value 1/20th of a cent. Keep up. :-b
Image

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
Posts: 8618
Joined: 4 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: we don't burn gasoline, we burn our dreams

Re: Norway's One Man Wrecking Crew

Postby wrveres » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:39 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:
wrveres wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:Well if we improved our education system, we'd have fewer criminals.
because we have different ideas on how to fix it. You want more government and unions.

I want neither.
OK if we changed the education system the way you think it should be changed and reformed prisons to mimic Norway's (assuming we had two coupons for free education reform and free prison reform, not packaged for individual sale, cash value 1/20th of a cent), we would have fewer criminals, correct?
not sure what you are trying to ask here, but if we improved the education system, and allowed teachers that actually wanted to teach, teach, that would lower the crime rate over time, yes.
As for Norway's prison system, again it works because of the small volume of people. It would never work in the US, because even with your 1/20 coupon thingamabob (fantasy land), you are going to blow all your savings on laptops, and bigscreens, not to mention the 2 million grief counselors you are going to have to train and employee.

I guess i am missing your point ...
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31783
(Past Year: 692)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Norway's One Man Wrecking Crew

Postby Neato Torpedo » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:50 pm

wrveres wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:
wrveres wrote: because we have different ideas on how to fix it. You want more government and unions.

I want neither.
OK if we changed the education system the way you think it should be changed and reformed prisons to mimic Norway's (assuming we had two coupons for free education reform and free prison reform, not packaged for individual sale, cash value 1/20th of a cent), we would have fewer criminals, correct?
not sure what you are trying to ask here, but if we improved the education system, and allowed teachers that actually wanted to teach, teach, that would lower the crime rate over time, yes.
As for Norway's prison system, again it works because of the small volume of people. It would never work in the US, because even with your 1/20 coupon thingamabob (fantasy land), you are going to blow all your savings on laptops, and bigscreens, not to mention the 2 million grief counselors you are going to have to train and employee.

I guess i am missing your point ...

If we got laptops, big screens, grief counselors, and psychiatrists all for free, wouldn't it make sense to use them to make the U.S. prison system into an anti-recidivism system like Norway rather than a punishment system like we have now? Obviously this can never happen, but if we could, we should.
Image

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
Posts: 8618
Joined: 4 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: we don't burn gasoline, we burn our dreams

Re: Norway's One Man Wrecking Crew

Postby wrveres » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:52 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:If we got laptops, big screens, grief counselors, and psychiatrists all for free, wouldn't it make sense to use them to make the U.S. prison system into an anti-recidivism system like Norway rather than a punishment system like we have now? Obviously this can never happen, but if we could, we should.
no.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31783
(Past Year: 692)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron
Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Sunday, Oct. 26
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Kansas City at San Francisco
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact