Norway's One Man Wrecking Crew - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Norway's One Man Wrecking Crew

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Norway's One Man Wrecking Crew

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:34 pm

wrveres wrote:Curious Ray.
Ive read quite a bit about Norway over the last few days, as you can imagine. You said you have been to Norway, and i was curious as to your experience with the level of crime in Olso. Most of the stats says that Olso has a crime rate on par with New York City. From reading other people accounts it appears many of the crimes are property crimes, so i guess i just wanted to know your experiences in Olso, if any?


I've never been to Oslo, so I can't say. I've been to Bergen and Stavanger on the southwestern portion of Norway and my family and I were there mainly to see the fjords.

Bergen is just as important of a city as Oslo is and my first hand experience of Bergen is it's a very safe city. Like many major European cities, the most common crimes are pickpocketing, theft, and the usual scam. I will say, however, this happens a lot less compared to say, Barcelona, Paris, or Rome (relatively safe cities in their own right, but have their share of dodgy neighborhoods). As far as walking around with that sense of security or complete peace of mind, I'd say Munich (where I was a couple of weeks ago) ranks highest amongst major cities I've visited, with Bergen, Brussels, and Grenoble (where I once lived) somewhere at the top.
Image

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21946
(Past Year: 674)
Joined: 3 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Downloading rice

Re: Norway's One Man Wrecking Crew

Postby urbanbreez » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:12 pm

wrveres wrote:
urbanbreez wrote:I never said "yeah government" and never will, tyvm. Straw man argument, Dude.

You dont preach the socialism? My apologies. I was under the impression you were a proud socialist.

Now your not so proud, or did i just misread you?
Curious.


Wall of text incoming hide yo kids hide yo wife.

I spent a good portion of time expressing my thoughts on how crappy our SS system is. I've got plenty more where that came from in regard to bureaucratic mismanagement of public funds. I'm in that upper middle class income range that flips the bill for more than my fair share of public services. At the same time, it'd be nice to see some of that back in the form of, i don't know, some less well-to-do family members being able to afford health insurance. I'm sure a true "socialist" would want to have me excommunicated for some of my opinions but I don't exactly know since I've never met one.

There are plenty of examples throughout history's greatest civilizations of vital government programs going all the way back to the Roman Empire and the Egyptians. A more contemporary, obvious and appropriate example is FDR's New Deal. Ins't it ironic that a program like Social Security that helped drive us out of The Great Depression has devolved over generations of democratic and republican administration bickering into a federal ponzi-scheme constituting 20% of the federal budget.

If you're not this big Fox news guy, then disregard but here is my problem with these folks: The Fox network has fear mongered a portion of the population into believing there exists a socialist conspiracy to take over the world starting with a government enslaving of the american public against which they must fight to the bitter death and disagree with everything from the other side without compromise to avoid said enslavement.

I watch these shows out of my own bemusement and see as they splatter Hitler spliced Obama montages like, "hey, we got nothing constructive to offer so lets Goodwin's law it." Additionally, they project a really crappy sense of history. Let's be honest, if we set aside the atrocity that killed 6 million Jews and countless others for a moment and take a look at Hitler's domestic fiscal policy we notice that he helped resurrect the German economy from the ashes of WWI into a world super power. Therefor, unless Glen Beck thinks Obama has some elaborate genocide in mind, he's actually providing a historical compliment considering the direction our economy has taken since the secondary mortgage fallout.

It's stuff like that man, they pander to the uneducated or disenfranchised or argumentative through fear for profit and nothing else. They are divisive for the sake of being divisive and have no intention on solving anything. If problems were solved they'd have less shows and that ain't good for revenue. It's one complaint after another, one critique after another and NEVER is there a viable solution offered. There is a segment on Bill O'riely where a "body language specialist" comes in with a straight face and claims to read the mind of some democrat by looking at his posture. "That the rigid left pinky finger means he's either the anti-Christ or knows the anti-Christ." What? So when you come along and discount one of the best (self-admitted) opinion talk shows, which is actually much more "fair and balanced" really, for it's utilization of comedy (again they come right out and say it) it irks me.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3200
Joined: 24 Mar 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Los Angeles. U Jelly?

Re: Norway's One Man Wrecking Crew

Postby TheRock » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:19 pm

urbanbreez wrote:
wrveres wrote:
urbanbreez wrote:I never said "yeah government" and never will, tyvm. Straw man argument, Dude.

You dont preach the socialism? My apologies. I was under the impression you were a proud socialist.

Now your not so proud, or did i just misread you?
Curious.


Yeah it's frustrating when people completely side step any discussion of actual issues and just lump you in some group and dismiss any valid points you might make. Glad you've heard the term straw man argument, but I'm not sure you understand it because that's all you're making.

Well, I guess you're a bit more open-minded because you allow for two possibilities. Anyone who disagrees with you is most likely a troll who doesn't really believe anything he says ala your FIL, or maybe they're just a brainless Fox News drone, incapable of independent thought.
Image
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 3055
(Past Year: 6)
Joined: 16 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: America's Heartland

Re: Norway's One Man Wrecking Crew

Postby urbanbreez » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:28 pm

Kindly point to my straw man argument, Sir.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3200
Joined: 24 Mar 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Los Angeles. U Jelly?

Re: Norway's One Man Wrecking Crew

Postby Madison » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:11 pm

Almost a year to the day, how interesting...

People retiring today are part of the first generation of workers who have paid more in Social Security taxes during their careers than they will receive in benefits after they retire.


http://news.yahoo.com/social-security-not-deal-once-workers-165327268.html

And what was I saying in that regard? Oh yeah, here it is...

Madison wrote:Fact of the matter is I will bring in less in social security than I paid in (and what that money would have turned into in just a plain old savings account). So no, no one else paid my social security, thank you very much.


Not retired and won't be for quite some time.

urbanbreez wrote:There are approximately three things that get me riled up at the Cafe. In no particular order they are: Mafia (WaCoug :-b ), Adam Dunn %-6 and political discussions with Werves and Madison. I actually like these guys under other circumstances. So I ask Myself... Self, do you really think after reading my post one of them will look up in awe and experience epiphany? Do they think I will?


No epiphany needed, just the ability to admit you are/were wrong. O:-)

Feel honored that I chose to break my posting silence for you. :-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Previous

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: assiquate and 7 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Wednesday, Oct. 1
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

San Francisco at Pittsburgh
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact