Norway's One Man Wrecking Crew - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Norway's One Man Wrecking Crew

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Norway's One Man Wrecking Crew

Postby Madison » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:04 pm

Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Re: Norway's One Man Wrecking Crew

Postby urbanbreez » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:20 pm

Not to bust your little bubble, but when I start drawing social security, it will be the money I paid in (not you), that I will be getting back. Retirement age is what, 67 now? So if I retire at 67, I'll have paid in for 51 years and will be getting back MY money (again, not yours).


Not to burst your little bubble but the money you paid in was used for the generation before you. That how a Ponzi scheme works.The money I'm paying now and will pay for probably another 30 years will be used for you and your, hate government and don't depend on anyone but myself (except when it comes to me getting some funds back) and so should every one else, crew. When it gets to be my turn, there will be nothing. If you truly think that way you should refuse to cash that government check. But I guess it's one thing to talk like Clint Eastwood and quite another to act in accordance with your "convictions."

Social Security has been a pyramid scheme from the beginning. Those who paid in first received money from those who paid in second—and so on, generation after generation. This was great so long as the small generation when Social Security began was being supported by larger generations resulting from the baby boom. But, like all pyramid schemes, the whole thing is in big trouble once the pyramid stops growing. When the baby boomers retire, that will be the moment of truth—or of more artful lies. Just like Enron.
—Thomas Sowell, Capitalism Magazine[134


Yet you've got no problem with this? Nice ethics there, pal.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3200
Joined: 24 Mar 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Los Angeles. U Jelly?

Re: Norway's One Man Wrecking Crew

Postby Madison » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:26 pm

Just for fun, I did some digging:

A 2004 Cornell University study showed that while 2.5% of murderers convicted nationwide were sentenced to the death penalty, in Nevada 6% were given the death penalty.[103] Texas gave 2% of murderers the death sentence, less than the national average. Texas, however, executed 40% of those sentenced, which was about four times higher than the national average. California had executed only 1% of those sentenced.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_punishment_in_the_United_States

So we give it less often, but when we do, we follow through more than anyone else. Interesting. :-)

And New Hampshire still allows hanging! Can't get much cheaper than that, can even use the rope more than once. Go New Hampshire! ;-D

Same link:

The remaining two states that allow hanging[88] are New Hampshire, which allows it at the decision of the Corrections officials,[89] and Washington, at the decision of the prisoner.[90]
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Re: Norway's One Man Wrecking Crew

Postby Madison » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:30 pm

urbanbreez wrote:Not to burst your little bubble but the money you paid in was used for the generation before you. That how a Ponzi scheme works.The money I'm paying now and will pay for probably another 30 years will be used for you and your, hate government and don't depend on anyone but myself (except when it comes to me getting some funds back) and so should every one else, crew. When it gets to be my turn, there will be nothing. If you truly think that way you should refuse to cash that government check. But I guess it's one thing to talk like Clint Eastwood and quite another to act in accordance with your "convictions."


Fact of the matter is I will bring in less in social security than I paid in (and what that money would have turned into in just a plain old savings account). So no, no one else paid my social security, thank you very much.

urbanbreez wrote:
Social Security has been a pyramid scheme from the beginning. Those who paid in first received money from those who paid in second—and so on, generation after generation. This was great so long as the small generation when Social Security began was being supported by larger generations resulting from the baby boom. But, like all pyramid schemes, the whole thing is in big trouble once the pyramid stops growing. When the baby boomers retire, that will be the moment of truth—or of more artful lies. Just like Enron.
—Thomas Sowell, Capitalism Magazine[134


Yet you've got no problem with this? Nice ethics there, pal.


Sure, I highly disagree with the way the government has handled the money. You're right to be upset on that part, I am too for that matter. But thinking that you will be paying my social security is quite wrong. I'm the one paying it, and I'm paying much more than I will ever receive back.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Re: Norway's One Man Wrecking Crew

Postby urbanbreez » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:24 pm

Go ahead, cash that check. You are entitled to it.
Image
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3200
Joined: 24 Mar 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Los Angeles. U Jelly?

Re: Norway's One Man Wrecking Crew

Postby Madison » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:35 pm

urbanbreez wrote:Go ahead, cash that check. You are entitled to it.


Absolutely. I am certainly entitled to the money I paid in, am I not? Isn't that exactly what you are whining about? That you won't get YOUR money?

And since I figured you'd act like that, I've done some research for you.

Here's the tax table:

http://www.ssa.gov/oact/progdata/taxRates.html

So, we'll say a worker who worked 50 years with an average salary of $60K and we'll say 10% as the average tax rate (currently over 15%).

That's $300,000 they paid in.

That person would retire at 67 and have to draw $1,200 per month until they were 87 (almost 88) before the PRINCIPAL would run out. That doesn't even count the interest.

And for those who pay self-employment taxes (like myself since I've always had a business of some sort), we pay every nickel of that money. Half isn't paid by our employer (who's the "entitled" one now ;-7 ?).

So yeah, I think I am more than entitled to a portion of the money that the government took from me, because I will not live long enough to get it all back through social security, seeing as how the average lifespan is only 78:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_life_expectancy

Game Over. B-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Re: Norway's One Man Wrecking Crew

Postby Neato Torpedo » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:37 pm

Mad, I have a question. Would you rather be raped daily by 300 pound skinheads and treated like human garbage for 50 years or would you rather die tomorrow?
Image

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
Posts: 8618
Joined: 4 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: we don't burn gasoline, we burn our dreams

Re: Norway's One Man Wrecking Crew

Postby Curtis Pride » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:39 pm

There have been 140 death row inmates who have been exonerated - all of whom would have been wrongfully executed if Madison's Saudi Arabian style of justice of "death in 5 minutes" were to be instituted. For someone so intent on killing murders, you simply do not value innocent lives sufficiently.

I challenge your premise. Not joining the military does not mean I have a "free ride". That's ridiculous. Your hyper nationalistic notion of loving your country so much that you'd kill for it without rationality is the same hyper nationalism that the 9/11 terrorists had, that this ass in Norway had, and that the Nazis had.

They all felt that they were breaking some eggs to protect their country and way of life. Like you, their vision of the bigger picture was more important than a few innocent lives.

You cannot be reasoned with. I'm done with this thread.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1363
(Past Year: 5)
Joined: 19 May 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Norway's One Man Wrecking Crew

Postby Madison » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:52 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:Mad, I have a question. Would you rather be raped daily by 300 pound skinheads and treated like human garbage for 50 years or would you rather die tomorrow?


If I believed the "old wive's tale", I'd choose the latter, but knowing it is an old wive's tale and not true, it isn't a fair question.

Curtis Pride wrote:There have been 140 death row inmates who have been exonerated - all of whom would have been wrongfully executed if Madison's Saudi Arabian style of justice of "death in 5 minutes" were to be instituted. For someone so intent on killing murders, you simply do not value innocent lives sufficiently.

I challenge your premise. Not joining the military does not mean I have a "free ride". That's ridiculous. Your hyper nationalistic notion of loving your country so much that you'd kill for it without rationality is the same hyper nationalism that the 9/11 terrorists had, that this ass in Norway had, and that the Nazis had.

They all felt that they were breaking some eggs to protect their country and way of life. Like you, their vision of the bigger picture was more important than a few innocent lives.

You cannot be reasoned with. I'm done with this thread.


I don't value lives as much as you do, but that's nothing really nothing to get your panties in a bunch over. :-b You think I undervalue them and that's cool, I think you overvalue them. We're even on that one. But I won't act like a petulant child and insult you over it, even though you think that type of behavior is ok, which is hilarious since you are preaching about wanting/needing a "civilized" society. :-b

And my question wasn't strictly a military question. Simply would you give your life for the betterment of this country or are you here for the free ride? I'll take it from your answer that you're simply here for a free ride, so it is cool with me that you're done with this thread. If you aren't willing to sacrifice for something, you don't really want it. I invite you to check out foreign countries and find one that suits you. I'm sure they'll be thrilled to have you and I know we'll be thrilled to see you go.

And yes, the bigger picture, meaning the future of this country (318 million people) is far more important than the 140 lives you mentioned. That is a definite no-brainer.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Re: Norway's One Man Wrecking Crew

Postby Neato Torpedo » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:25 pm

Edit: whatever
Last edited by Neato Torpedo on Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
Posts: 8618
Joined: 4 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: we don't burn gasoline, we burn our dreams

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact