Norway's One Man Wrecking Crew - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Norway's One Man Wrecking Crew

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Norway's One Man Wrecking Crew

Postby wrveres » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:53 am

Skin Blues wrote:fairytale world
Fairytale world? You must have just skipped over Neato's other posts, right? :-o
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31783
(Past Year: 692)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Norway's One Man Wrecking Crew

Postby Curtis Pride » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:06 am

"What's best for the country" is to not wrongfully execute people. I have already stated, numerous times, that the death penalty does not provide a deterrent for murder (as is evidenced by the fact that states and countries without capital punishment have lower murder rates) nor does it cost less money to execute someone than keep them in jail for life.

Your only reason for wanting the death penalty is blind, ignorant, retribution. That is completely irrational. How is some archaic biblical notion of vengeance "best for the country"?
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1363
(Past Year: 5)
Joined: 19 May 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Norway's One Man Wrecking Crew

Postby TheRock » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:06 am

Curtis Pride wrote:"What's best for the country" is to not wrongfully execute people. I have already stated, numerous times, that the death penalty does not provide a deterrent for murder (as is evidenced by the fact that states and countries without capital punishment have lower murder rates) nor does it cost less money to execute someone than keep them in jail for life.


You stated it so it must be correct, why do people keep disagreeing? It's insulting, right?

Remember from stats class how "correlation does not imply causation"? You can't put something like murder rate in a vacuum to study it. It's affected by far more than capital punishment policy. Can you say conclusively that the death penalty has never deterred a murder? What would the murder rate be in more lenient countries if they had the death penalty? Isn't it possible that countries with the highest murder rates adopted the death penalty to try and stem the tide? How do you hold all other factors constant to see what effect that change has had?

Curtis Pride wrote:Your only reason for wanting the death penalty is blind, ignorant, retribution. That is completely irrational. How is some archaic biblical notion of vengeance "best for the country"?


Actually nobody has said that but you keep bringing it up trying to pick a fight. Is it just easier to think anyone who disagrees with you is a blind ignorant bible thumper? Cuz there's no way a sane reasonable person could think differently than you right?
Image
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 3055
(Past Year: 6)
Joined: 16 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: America's Heartland

Re: Norway's One Man Wrecking Crew

Postby Skin Blues » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:12 am

Neato's Fairytale World: Stop killing people and make more of an effort to rehabilitating those that commit crimes

Madison's Fairytale World: Beat the shit out of people, killing them swiftly in many cases, to instill fear as a deterrent to crime & violence

Neither of those things will happen in the US, but both are very prevalent throughout the rest of the world. Have a look at the list of countries that fall under each fairytale category.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3081
(Past Year: 113)
Joined: 11 Apr 2010
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Norway's One Man Wrecking Crew

Postby wrveres » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:25 am

urbanbreez wrote:
wrveres wrote:Heres a video of Neato 10 years ago getting the 'ol brainwashing ..

I love the kid in the middle, "if they dont pay their taxes, we have to pay" ... ... oh the horror.

So are you going to refuse to accept the social security check you're about to start receiving (you must be relatively closer to 65 than the rest of us with the exception of Madison) because I'm sick and tired of these right wing baby boomers complaining about government taxation while mentally smiling at the thought of a rake from my paycheck to help them sail through retirement. Must be nice, wish I could plan that into my 401k retirement plan but lets be honest, you're gonna eat it all up before I'm eligible. Like a swarm of locust complaining about the farmer that grew the corn you are devouring.
I am going to have zero problems cashing that check, tyvm. I started paying into that broken system when i was 13 years old. Now of course I didn't start the system, you Yeah Government types did. And of course I was forced, yeah that's right, i didn't have an option, I was forced, by your Yeah Government peers to pay into a poorly constructed Ponzi scheme. Forced.

So I can totally understand you wanting to cry victim here, cus you are. But i feel no sympathy for you. None what so ever. You yeah government types take to these boards with some holier than thou attitude, reciting some false talking point you heard on the comedy channel, and then head to the ballot box and keep voting "yeah government" ... soooo, you get what you vote for !
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31783
(Past Year: 692)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Norway's One Man Wrecking Crew

Postby urbanbreez » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:51 am

wrveres wrote:
urbanbreez wrote:
wrveres wrote:Heres a video of Neato 10 years ago getting the 'ol brainwashing ..

I love the kid in the middle, "if they dont pay their taxes, we have to pay" ... ... oh the horror.

So are you going to refuse to accept the social security check you're about to start receiving (you must be relatively closer to 65 than the rest of us with the exception of Madison) because I'm sick and tired of these right wing baby boomers complaining about government taxation while mentally smiling at the thought of a rake from my paycheck to help them sail through retirement. Must be nice, wish I could plan that into my 401k retirement plan but lets be honest, you're gonna eat it all up before I'm eligible. Like a swarm of locust complaining about the farmer that grew the corn you are devouring.
I am going to have zero problems cashing that check, tyvm. I started paying into that broken system when i was 13 years old. Now of course I didn't start the system, you Yeah Government types did. And of course I was forced, yeah that's right, i didn't have an option, I was forced, by your Yeah Government peers to pay into a poorly constructed Ponzi scheme. Forced.

So I can totally understand you wanting to cry victim here, cus you are. But i feel no sympathy for you. None what so ever. You yeah government types take to these boards with some holier than thou attitude, reciting some false talking point you heard on the comedy channel, and then head to the ballot box and keep voting "yeah government" ... soooo, you get what you vote for !

I never said "yeah government" and never will, tyvm. Straw man argument, Dude.

By "Comedy Channel," I assume you're referring to The Daily Show with John Stewart and The Colbert report? Because they make jokes to illustrate a point and don't scream like lunatics nothing they say means anything? Illogical, dude.

Enjoy your government Social Security Check that I'll be flipping the bill for over the next 20 years of my working life only to never see a dime of it. Take a vacation... on me, buddy. ;-) Just stop crying about big government while you run to the bank with a portion of my income. ;-)
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3200
Joined: 24 Mar 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Los Angeles. U Jelly?

Re: Norway's One Man Wrecking Crew

Postby Neato Torpedo » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:56 pm

If we killed everyone there would be no murder
Image

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
Posts: 8618
Joined: 4 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: we don't burn gasoline, we burn our dreams

Re: Norway's One Man Wrecking Crew

Postby Madison » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:09 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:Mad come back so we can have an actual discussion


:-)

Skin Blues wrote:I can't believe you've been blinded into thinking Madison makes any sense whatsoever. With his fairytale world which pretty much consists of beating the shit out of people for breaking the law and killing them within in a week, including all forms of appeals, as a deterrent to murder. Seriously... does that even warrant a response?


Take a step away from the computer and think about who is in a fantasy world. You're saying if murderers knew they would be executed within a week of being found guilty, they wouldn't think twice before taking someone's life? It is plain old common sense on this one, so come on, use a tiny fraction of your brain.

Curtis Pride wrote:I have already stated, numerous times, that the death penalty IN ITS CURRENT FORM does not provide a deterrent for murder


Modified that for you, because I agree with that statement now that it is modified.

Curtis Pride wrote:nor does it cost less money to execute someone than keep them in jail for life.


A bullet is a whole lot cheaper than feeding, clothing, and housing someone for 20 years. Don't have to be a financial wizard to understand.

Curtis Pride wrote:Your only reason for wanting the death penalty is blind, ignorant, retribution. That is completely irrational. How is some archaic biblical notion of vengeance "best for the country"?


Who other than you has mentioned the Bible? Think if you chant it enough that it will magically come true? :-b

You still ignored my question (not surprisingly), so I'll ask one more time. Are you willing to die for this country or are you just here for the free ride?

TheRock wrote:
Curtis Pride wrote:"What's best for the country" is to not wrongfully execute people. I have already stated, numerous times, that the death penalty does not provide a deterrent for murder (as is evidenced by the fact that states and countries without capital punishment have lower murder rates) nor does it cost less money to execute someone than keep them in jail for life.


You stated it so it must be correct, why do people keep disagreeing? It's insulting, right?

Remember from stats class how "correlation does not imply causation"? You can't put something like murder rate in a vacuum to study it. It's affected by far more than capital punishment policy. Can you say conclusively that the death penalty has never deterred a murder? What would the murder rate be in more lenient countries if they had the death penalty? Isn't it possible that countries with the highest murder rates adopted the death penalty to try and stem the tide? How do you hold all other factors constant to see what effect that change has had?

Curtis Pride wrote:Your only reason for wanting the death penalty is blind, ignorant, retribution. That is completely irrational. How is some archaic biblical notion of vengeance "best for the country"?


Actually nobody has said that but you keep bringing it up trying to pick a fight. Is it just easier to think anyone who disagrees with you is a blind ignorant bible thumper? Cuz there's no way a sane reasonable person could think differently than you right?


;-D

Skin Blues wrote:Madison's Fairytale World: Beat the shit out of people, killing them swiftly in many cases, to instill fear as a deterrent to crime & violence


Where did I say anything about beating people up? You know, when you can't argue a point and have no choice but to start lying, it shows just how weak your argument is.

And yes, a swift and immediate execution would deter murder. Try it and see. :-)

urbanbreez wrote:Enjoy your government Social Security Check that I'll be flipping the bill for over the next 20 years of my working life only to never see a dime of it.


Not to bust your little bubble, but when I start drawing social security, it will be the money I paid in (not you), that I will be getting back. Retirement age is what, 67 now? So if I retire at 67, I'll have paid in for 51 years and will be getting back MY money (again, not yours).

Now if you want to complain that the government mismanaged the money, go right ahead (and you would be right). Had I kept it and stuck it in investments, I'd have bought a small island when I retire, so not only will I not be drawing your money, I also won't be getting all of MY money. So you might want to rethink what you think of social security. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Re: Norway's One Man Wrecking Crew

Postby Skin Blues » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:30 pm

Madison wrote:Where did I say anything about beating people up? You know, when you can't argue a point and have no choice but to start lying, it shows just how weak your argument is.

The whole condoning the public lashing of kids for stealing in the Philippines or wherever it was, and supporting that form of corporal punishment.

Madison wrote:Take a step away from the computer and think about who is in a fantasy world. You're saying if murderers knew they would be executed within a week of being found guilty, they wouldn't think twice before taking someone's life? It is plain old common sense on this one, so come on, use a tiny fraction of your brain.

You just never stop trying to out-absurd yourself, do you? You're Ann Coulter, but less interesting.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3081
(Past Year: 113)
Joined: 11 Apr 2010
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Norway's One Man Wrecking Crew

Postby Madison » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:49 pm

Skin Blues wrote:
Madison wrote:Where did I say anything about beating people up? You know, when you can't argue a point and have no choice but to start lying, it shows just how weak your argument is.

The whole condoning the public lashing of kids for stealing in the Philippines or wherever it was, and supporting that form of corporal punishment.


Just because that was in this thread that doesn't mean it actually had anything to do with this thread. :-b You're not new to message boards, you know things typically spin off in many directions, so I can't even give you the benefit of the doubt on that one.

But yes, I believe punishments are far too weak on the overall. The point of punishment is to deter crime, so punishments need to be harsh enough to actually do what they are intended to do. Otherwise, punishments are pointless.

Skin Blues wrote:
Madison wrote:Take a step away from the computer and think about who is in a fantasy world. You're saying if murderers knew they would be executed within a week of being found guilty, they wouldn't think twice before taking someone's life? It is plain old common sense on this one, so come on, use a tiny fraction of your brain.

You just never stop trying to out-absurd yourself, do you? You're Ann Coulter, but less interesting.


"Our absurd myself"? I didn't say anything I hadn't already said. Executed convicted murderers within a week of a guilty verdict and watch the murder rate go down. Anyone can see how that would deter murder more than our current system does. You've never heard someone say something like: "If you're going to kill someone, don't do it in Texas because they will kill you back!"? :-D And Texas is far from "quick" as far as carrying out the sentence. Take everyone off of death row, execute them, install the new "5 day law", and the murder rate would plummet. Don't have to be a psychology major to know that. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Wednesday, Oct. 22
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

San Francisco at Kansas City
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact