Norway's One Man Wrecking Crew - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Norway's One Man Wrecking Crew

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Norway's One Man Wrecking Crew

Postby wrveres » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:42 am

Neato Torpedo wrote:Well obviously not, but Norway's prison system is geared much more towards rehabilitation while the U.S. is geared more towards punishment. An international recidivism survey with standardized parameters would be nice to cite but there hasn't been a reliable one done to my knowledge.

Edit: http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2011/0 ... y-is-safe/

Sure the site is biased but the sources and statistics aren't.

Well what your biased site fails to mention, is that Norway has about 3000 prisoners total. Its a very small country, with a very small population of 4 million. The United States has 2,245,000 inmates! It's a lot easier to "reeducate" 3000 people than it is 2.2 million. Heck you could probably give all 3000 their own "grief counselor" .. lol
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 641)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:48 am

San Diego probably "hosted" the equivalent of the entire nation of Norway for Comic-con last weekend.

lol, Norway...
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Neato Torpedo » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:44 am

wrveres wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:Well obviously not, but Norway's prison system is geared much more towards rehabilitation while the U.S. is geared more towards punishment. An international recidivism survey with standardized parameters would be nice to cite but there hasn't been a reliable one done to my knowledge.

Well what your biased site fails to mention, is that Norway has about 3000 prisoners total. Its a very small country, with a very small population of 4 million. The United States has 2,245,000 inmates! It's a lot easier to "reeducate" 3000 people than it is 2.2 million. Heck you could probably give all 3000 their own "grief counselor" .. lol

Well yeah of course, which is why I'm saying that 21 years may be fine with this guy. I'm not saying America needs to emulate Norway, just that Norway doesn't need to emulate America.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby wrveres » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:22 am

Neato Torpedo wrote:
wrveres wrote:

Well yeah of course, which is why I'm saying that 21 years may be fine with this guy. I'm not saying America needs to emulate Norway, just that Norway doesn't need to emulate America.
Well if its fine by you, its fine by me then. When he gets out i suggest we set him up with an apartment in San Fransisco. Put his reeducation to a test. :-)
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:42 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:which is why I'm saying that 21 years may be fine with this guy.

lol you trollin.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:47 am

GiantsFan14 wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:which is why I'm saying that 21 years may be fine with this guy.

lol you trollin.

Keep in mind, if they still think he's dangerous, he'll still be in jail for up to 21 additional years. By the time he gets out, he's no danger to anybody at age 75.

Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby GiantsFan14 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:07 am

Neato Torpedo wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:

lol you trollin.

Keep in mind, if they still think he's dangerous, he'll still be in jail for up to 21 additional years. By the time he gets out, he's no danger to anybody at age 75.

75 year olds can't set bombs or shoot guns? even if you forget about whether or not he's dangerous, what about justice for all the people he murdered and the emotional pain caused to the friends and families of those he slaughtered. he deserves nothing less than an agonizing death. srsly stop trollin bro.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:10 am

True. If he's still crazy whenever his prison term runs out, I suspect they'd just send him to the loony bin until he dies or stops being crazy, whichever comes first.

Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Curtis Pride » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:26 pm

wrveres wrote:

Do the math and look at the % of the population in the U.S. is in prison compared to Norway (or really, any other industrialized country).

You'll see that the U.S. inmate populate dwarves any other country. We have 5% of the global population and 25% of the incarcerated population. Why? Because we criminalize and actively prosecute far more "crimes" than any other country.

When the U.S. is filling its prisons with people who violated statutes related to non-violent, consensual crimes (drug, prostitution, etc), it results in far more criminals than any other country. The massive amount of criminals, plus the fact that all the criminals are thrown into the same pot, is why nearly 70% of released prisoners released in the U.S. are arrested again within 3 years.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby urbanbreez » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:31 pm

Curtis Pride wrote:
wrveres wrote:

Do the math and look at the % of the population in the U.S. is in prison compared to Norway (or really, any other industrialized country).

You'll see that the U.S. inmate populate dwarves any other country. We have 5% of the global population and 25% of the incarcerated population. Why? Because we criminalize and actively prosecute far more "crimes" than any other country.

When the U.S. is filling its prisons with people who violated statutes related to non-violent, consensual crimes (drug, prostitution, etc), it results in far more criminals than any other country. The massive amount of criminals, plus the fact that all the criminals are thrown into the same pot, is why nearly 70% of released prisoners released in the U.S. are arrested again within 3 years.

A+ post.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk