Closer problems - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Closer problems

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Closer problems

Postby gmoney49 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:22 pm

I am having some issues with who to keep on the roster, I picked up Santos while RM was on the DL, and Hernandez a few weeks before since I had a free roster spot (SP elig). I've still lost saves in H2H (5x5) with 3 closers those weeks. Now, it clearly is dumb to have 4 on the roster. I'm thinking of dumping Farnsy just b/c he doesn't get many opps and picking up John Danks or something. Then next week when Putz comes back (apparently will immediately resume closers role) and use that as a streaming spot. I just took RM off the DL and punched Lohse his FA ticket. Thoughts about this?

gmoney49
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Closer problems

Postby RedHopeful » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:24 pm

Can't advocate you dropping a proven saves guy like Farnsy despite your league setup. You have to try and trade him first to some team in need of proven saves.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby MadDog36 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:25 pm

Don't drop Farsny!!! Are you nuts? Madsen isn't even guaranteed anything at this point. Putz is the closer of the DBacks so Hernandez should get the axe if you HAVE to drop someone.

viewtopic.php?t=435446
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1928)

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:27 pm

No way should you drop Farnsworth. With Putz coming back you have an abundance of closers - I'd definitely try to trade someone.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 33)

Postby baegames » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:44 pm

Actually, based on your league setup, Hernandez is the one I would not drop. If you have three closers, four closers, five closers, whatever, it comes down to one problem - you can only start two in any given week. The key to winning those leagues in saves is to find a Closer who qualifies at SP.
I don't think there are any right now, but might one happen if there are trades at the deadline. Keep your eyes on those and be ready to pounce.
Some options, depending on trade deals: Aaron Crow if Soria gets dealt; David Pauley if Brandon League gets dealt; David Hernandez if Putz doesn't come back strong

Help with mine:
viewtopic.php?t=435452
baegames
General Manager
General Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 209)

Postby gmoney49 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:48 am

baegames wrote:Actually, based on your league setup, Hernandez is the one I would not drop. If you have three closers, four closers, five closers, whatever, it comes down to one problem - you can only start two in any given week. The key to winning those leagues in saves is to find a Closer who qualifies at SP.
I don't think there are any right now, but might one happen if there are trades at the deadline. Keep your eyes on those and be ready to pounce.
Some options, depending on trade deals: Aaron Crow if Soria gets dealt; David Pauley if Brandon League gets dealt; David Hernandez if Putz doesn't come back strong

Help with mine:
viewtopic.php?t=435452

Well Gibson has said that Putz will be the closer when he rejoins the team Tuesday, so I have to drop him unfortunately, but will keep a close eye if he stumbles. In fact Putz is a FA I will swap for him now, keep on the DL and pick someone up since I could use an insurance win today and have ERA/WHIP locked.

It's just that in this league the dynamic is that trades just don't go down, people just add/drop. There have only been 3 all season. But with 3 decent closers, I'll see if I can get a little something. Or since I am 1-8-6 in saves (lol), I may just play match ups.
gmoney49
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Mateo de Lorenzo » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:00 am

gmoney49 wrote:I am having some issues with who to keep on the roster, I picked up Santos while RM was on the DL, and Hernandez a few weeks before since I had a free roster spot (SP elig). I've still lost saves in H2H (5x5) with 3 closers those weeks. Now, it clearly is dumb to have 4 on the roster. I'm thinking of dumping Farnsy just b/c he doesn't get many opps and picking up John Danks or something. Then next week when Putz comes back (apparently will immediately resume closers role) and use that as a streaming spot. I just took RM off the DL and punched Lohse his FA ticket. Thoughts about this?

I would hold onto Hernandez just because of his SP eligibility. While he may not be the closer next week, its very possible Putz stumbles out the gate and Hernandez gets more opportunities. Worst case scenario is he gets some good sessions in and helps with your ERA/WHIP for a few days while you watch Putz. Then, you can drop Hernandez if Puts looks good.

Help with mine? viewtopic.php?f=26&t=435465
Please help me with analyzing my team? viewtopic.php?f=29&t=433592
Mateo de Lorenzo Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions