Things you hope will die off during our generation - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Things you hope will die off during our generation

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Things you hope will die off during our generation

Postby Neato Torpedo » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:33 pm

Metroid wrote:The Tru TV network.

I can't believe people actually watch any of the crap that network poops out.

I watched the History Channel and Court TV a lot when I was a kid, and I actually still have a VHS of a Forensic Files marathon somewhere. It's a shame both networks have fallen so hard.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AquaMan2342 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:34 pm

Mine is pretty easy: Tabloid journalism. It's probably already been said, but it's something the world would be better off without. Case in point, I am purchasing some goods today and the women behind me are talking about Jennifer Lopez getting a divorce as if its relevant to anything of importance. Sadly, this is what society has become.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby Metroid » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:41 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:

I watched the History Channel and Court TV a lot when I was a kid, and I actually still have a VHS of a Forensic Files marathon somewhere. It's a shame both networks have fallen so hard.

The History Channel is still entertaining at times. Tru TV is absolutely unwatchable.
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:58 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:Mine is pretty easy: Tabloid journalism. It's probably already been said, but it's something the world would be better off without. Case in point, I am purchasing some goods today and the women behind me are talking about Jennifer Lopez getting a divorce as if its relevant to anything of importance. Sadly, this is what society has become.

In order for society to have 'become' this it would had to have transitioned from something else. Your parents and your parents' generation was just as celeb gossipy as people are now, but, as with everything, the media wasn't as prevalent and there weren't as many avenues to broadcast it. This is a double edged sword we have to deal with in order to have the good associated with it, which far outweighs the negative.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 370)

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:59 pm

Also, I thought we were supposed to be choosing race/cultures in this thread... boy I was way off.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:03 pm

The NFL Lockout ended like a half hour ago and ESPN just flashed a "Will He or Won't He?" about Brett Favre playing... this is what I want to die off :-b
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Neato Torpedo » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:07 pm

Metroid wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:

The History Channel is still entertaining at times. Tru TV is absolutely unwatchable.

Pawn Stars is watchable but like everything else on the channel, the "history" label is tenuous at best. It seems like every time I look at it, it's transforming even further from history/science documentaries into The Redneck Reality Show Channel. Guns, cars, truckers, and Larry the Cable Guy. :-S

Anecdotal evidence: my fraternity has one history major and one history minor living in our house. Neither of them watch the History Channel, but we have three self-styled rednecks that watch almost nothing else.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby Metroid » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:29 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:
Metroid wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:I watched the History Channel and Court TV a lot when I was a kid, and I actually still have a VHS of a Forensic Files marathon somewhere. It's a shame both networks have fallen so hard.

Pawn Stars is watchable but like everything else on the channel, the "history" label is tenuous at best. It seems like every time I look at it, it's transforming even further from history/science documentaries into The Redneck Reality Show Channel. Guns, cars, truckers, and Larry the Cable Guy. :-S

Anecdotal evidence: my fraternity has one history major and one history minor living in our house. Neither of them watch the History Channel, but we have three self-styled rednecks that watch almost nothing else.

I pretty much just avoid all of the series on the History Channel. What I usually watch are the specials like; How the Earth Was Made, WWII In HD, The Universe, America: The Story of Us, etc. I also like Cities of the Underworld and Ancient Discoveries. And Life After People can be entertaining at times.

But yeah, it's shows like Larry the Cable Guy's show, Ice Road Truckers, Swamp People, and Monster Quest that make the History Channel look stupid.
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:56 pm

Metroid wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:
Metroid wrote:

I pretty much just avoid all of the series on the History Channel. What I usually watch are the specials like; How the Earth Was Made, WWII In HD, The Universe, America: The Story of Us, etc. I also like Cities of the Underworld and Ancient Discoveries. And Life After People can be entertaining at times.

But yeah, it's shows like Larry the Cable Guy's show, Ice Road Truckers, Swamp People, and Monster Quest that make the History Channel look stupid.

They're also, probably and unfortunately, the channel's most watched shows. I agree re: those specials. They're typically really well done.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby AquaMan2342 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:17 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:Mine is pretty easy: Tabloid journalism. It's probably already been said, but it's something the world would be better off without. Case in point, I am purchasing some goods today and the women behind me are talking about Jennifer Lopez getting a divorce as if its relevant to anything of importance. Sadly, this is what society has become.

In order for society to have 'become' this it would had to have transitioned from something else. Your parents and your parents' generation was just as celeb gossipy as people are now, but, as with everything, the media wasn't as prevalent and there weren't as many avenues to broadcast it. This is a double edged sword we have to deal with in order to have the good associated with it, which far outweighs the negative.

How is tabloid journalism a good thing? There are good aspects to it, but it contributes more to the decay of society than it does the enrichment.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk