Is it time to drop Espinosa? -- WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Is it time to drop Espinosa? -- WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is it time to drop Espinosa? -- WHIR

Postby Bolthead04 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:58 am

I've got Espinosa, who has been wonderful as a WW grab at 2B since I traded away Pedroia for Verlander (!!! Dag Nabbit!). However, he seems to have gone cold as of late, and I'm concerned that he may be regressing a bit. (He has led the 2B in the majors in HR while getting some steals too...)

Jason Kipinis, Jemile Weeks, Dustin Ackley, Michael Martinez, and Alexi Casilla are the best names available.

I have 4 Nats on my roster, 3 who play every day. (Morse/Zimmerman/Espinosa/Werth(who sits and sits) I've been trying to trade or find a reason to drop one, just to help balance out my roster, so I'm worried I'm too eager to drop Danny E. The only name jumping out is Weeks, since I sorely need SBs.

Should I grab weeks for now, or sit with Danny? Is it bad I'm trying to denationalize so hard?

All opinions are appreciated and I WHIR 100% ! :)

Cheers!
First Year-First Team

Last Week: 9-2-0
Overall: 141-80-10 (16-5 by the week)
Bolthead04 Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Is it time to drop Espinosa? -- WHIR

Postby ATLbraves » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:59 am

I think its a little early to be trying to drop Espinosa. I would give him at least another week or two.

help with mine please:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=435414

Free Fantasy Consultant - https://twitter.com/FantasyChat247

Twitter - @FantasyChat247
ATLbraves
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Bolthead04 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:59 am

ATLbraves wrote:I think its a little early to be trying to drop Espinosa. I would give him at least another week or two.

help with mine please:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=435414

In the beginning of the season, I always cut ties when it "felt" right. I dropped Francouer, Fuld, Joyce, etc. before they had regressed. Someone else would pick them up and use a waiver claim, only to be shafted by the slump. That way, I was always riding a hot streak.

My problem is, it "feels right" that Espinosa is about to go through a tough time. He would probably stay available in my league if I dropped him, since most people want big names rather than small names that are playing well.

I *could* find another player to drop for 2B and hang on to Espinosa, but the only 2 bats I don't start regularly are Werth and Rasmus. I'd love to drop them, but I can't bring myself to do it. (After them, every single bat I have is in my lineup.)

I do have an extra closer, but I'm waiting for the Philly situation to sort itself out before I try trading one. (Nathan, Cordero, Axford, and Madson - Bastrado on the WW, Lidge owned) Notice, someone has the name, but no one has the new names in the Philly situation.

So, mostly I'm concerned and wanting some insurance, but I just don't see how to do it with my team without giving up a piece I want to keep.

My team is below.

The league is 12 team H2H. 6x5 scoring

Batters Stat Categories: Runs (R), Home Runs (HR), Runs Batted In (RBI), Stolen Bases (SB), Batting Average (AVG), On Base Percent (OBP)
Pitchers Stat Categories: Wins (W), Saves (SV), Strikeouts (K), Earned Run Average (ERA), (Walks + Hits)/ Innings

C - Brian McCann
1B - Albert Pujols
2B - Danny Espinosa
3B - Ryan Zimmerman
SS - Alexi Ramirez
OF - Jayson Werth
OF - Carlos Quentin
OF - Nick Swisher
Util - Colby Rasmus
BN - Freddie Freeman
BN - Michael Morse

SP - Shaun Marcum
SP - Matt Cain
RP - Francisco Cordero
RP - Ryan Madson
P - John Axford
P - Justin Verlander
P - Joe Nathan
BN - Jhoulys Chacin
BN - Mat Latos
BN - Max Scherzer
BN - Brandon Beachy
First Year-First Team

Bolthead04 Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Ernie.Whitt. » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:56 am

I think the number of players you have on any given MLB team is utterly irrelevant. "balance" means finding a good mix of promising youth and stable veterans, pitching and hitting, power and speed. Balance has nothing to do with the # of players on any given team. So long as the team he is on is playing a factor in your decision, I would say keep him. Move him when you have an opportunity to improve your team based on the standings at the time and where you see opportunity for movement.

Help with mine?
viewtopic.php?t=435434
Ernie.Whitt.
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 48)

Postby MadDog36 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:33 pm

Not a chance friend. He's earned his roster spot!

Is this a keeper?

I would jettison personally Rasmus for Jemile Weeks (you need some speed)

What else is available and pitchers too please?

If i see a quality replacement I don't think I'd keep Werth either.

You have enough drain on your BA. Freeman and Morse represent your best starting options in their places.
Time to clean house bud.

Post FAs.

viewtopic.php?t=435446
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1998)

Postby Bolthead04 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:56 pm

MadDog36 wrote:Not a chance friend. He's earned his roster spot!

Is this a keeper?

I would jettison personally Rasmus for Jemile Weeks (you need some speed)

What else is available and pitchers too please?

If i see a quality replacement I don't think I'd keep Werth either.

You have enough drain on your BA. Freeman and Morse represent your best starting options in their places.
Time to clean house bud.

Post FAs.

viewtopic.php?t=435446

Not a keeper. My pitchers are fine and I already have plans for them, so I'm not worried about them.

Tried to convince myself to drop Rasmus (who I traded for) and Werth (who I drafted in late round 6) many times, but I always see the turnaround that could happen. With smaller names, I don't worry. But, in my league, generally the only names that move off the WW are big names. (Lidge got picked up by one team, while the only person who has owned Madson or Bastardo has been me.)

Not sure what you're getting at over Freeman and Morse, since they are already in my lineup. As I said, Werth and Rasmus sit *every* day.

Something else I said already too would be the FAs. See my previous posts.

Ernie.Whitt. wrote:I think the number of players you have on any given MLB team is utterly irrelevant. "balance" means finding a good mix of promising youth and stable veterans, pitching and hitting, power and speed. Balance has nothing to do with the # of players on any given team. So long as the team he is on is playing a factor in your decision, I would say keep him. Move him when you have an opportunity to improve your team based on the standings at the time and where you see opportunity for movement.

Help with mine?
viewtopic.php?t=435434

Balance, as you explain it, I understand just fine. However, balance as I am explaining it is not having 3 starters get creamed in a week by the Philly rotation. Just because it doesn't affect my seasonal totals profoundly does not mean it doesn't cost me in the standings. This is H2H, not Rotisserie.

As for cleaning house, I don't see any player on my team that doesn't deserve it other than Rasmus and Werth, who could both pull a flip and produce. Werth I will not be dropping, although I would drop Rasmus. However, the player in return would have to be stunning (as far as WW players can be anyway).

I don't want to make moves just to make moves, so I don't see why I should drop someone who could turn around and has a decent track record for someone who had a few nice games.

As always, I appreciate everyone's thoughts. I will be returning help momentarily.

Cheers! :-°
First Year-First Team

Bolthead04 Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions