Why Is This Called "Commissioner's Corner"? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Why Is This Called "Commissioner's Corner"?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Why Is This Called "Commissioner's Corner"?

Postby bigmck » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:45 pm

I used to enjoy reading the problems of Commish's here and try to help. This forum has been polluted with posts that all have "Veto" in the title. == "I am in a 5-team mixed H2H league. We recently had a 3-way trade and the remaining two owners vetoed it". == It would be nice if the "Trade Veto" questions were put in the proper forum and leave this for the Commish problems.
Last edited by bigmck on Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 59)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Why Is This Called "Commissioner's Corner"?

Postby WaCougMBS » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:26 am

bigmck wrote:I used to enjoy reading the problems of Commish's here and try to help. This forum has been polluted with posts that all have "Veto" in the title. == "I am in a 5-team mixed H2H league. We recently had a 3-way trade and the remaining two owners vetoed it". == It would be nice if the "Trade Veto" questions were put in the proper forum and league this for the Commish problems.

Absolutely agreed. Trying to help weed them out by pointing this out as they happen, but it's a long road !+)
2012 H2HWS West A champion
WaCougMBS
Radio Pimp
Radio Pimp

Radio PimpEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafecasterFootball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mkultra » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:41 pm

A brief FAQ that's stickied to the top would be helpful here, I think. Here's a start:

Q: What kind of questions are appropriate for this forum?
A:
  • Advice on setting your league format
  • Rules disputes in your league
  • How to deal with (deadbeat, belligerent, etc.) managers in your league
  • Opinions on something the commissioner of your league did that you think is dicey/unethical
  • Questions about how specific fantasy baseball hosting sites work

Q: What kind of questions are NOT appropriate for this forum?
A:
  • Opinions on whether specific trades in your league are fair/vetoable- Please put these in Draft/Trade/Keeper/Waivers)
  • Solicitations for new/replacement managers- Please put these in Classifieds
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby converge241 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:53 pm

Rules disputes in your league

People get fired up about vetos and the veto process which are rules and this folder is crucial for potentially helping settle those debate with outsider expertise, thats been the majority of the reason to come here.
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Postby converge241 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:57 pm

even bigmck chimes in on the veto threads

bigmck wrote:It is a miracle that in an 8-team mixed league that a trade actually occured. Why even bother when you have so many free agents to improve your team.

IN leagues i commish i remove the veto, but cant act like its not a big part of league disagreements/commish headaches/rules

Just keep us posted if Draft/Keep/Trade adds "Veto" in there and ill gladly follow accordingly and even help police it with ya and keep the traffic way down in this section (should drop it a huge chunk)

Lord knows I see plenty of classifieds in here as well that I try to report ;-D
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Postby mkultra » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:33 am

converge241 wrote:
Rules disputes in your league

People get fired up about vetos and the veto process which are rules and this folder is crucial for potentially helping settle those debate with outsider expertise, thats been the majority of the reason to come here.

Good point, but the majority of questions here about vetos are, "Should this trade be vetoed?" These questions are:
[list=]
[*]Substantively the same as "What do you think of this trade?" questions, only they're about trades that have already happened. Come to think of it, if every breathless question about some "horrible" trade were phrased simply as, "What do you think of X for Y?" instead of "Person A just traded X to Person B for Y! The league is up in arms and vetoed it! What do you think?", you'd probably see the trade in a different, probably more balanced light.
[*]Commishes aren't necessarily any more qualified to evaluate trades than anyone else. The only thing you're more likely to hear in this forum is a loud chorus of, "No collusion, no veto. Let managers make bad decisions."
[/list]
Of course, not everything is black and white, and there are situations where the trade essentially brings up a Constitutional issue in your league (usually around things like possibly bad Commish behavior), and I think those are great questions for this forum. But they're, at their heart, questions about your league, not a trade.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby WaCougMBS » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:32 pm

converge241 wrote:even bigmck chimes in on the veto threads

bigmck wrote:It is a miracle that in an 8-team mixed league that a trade actually occured. Why even bother when you have so many free agents to improve your team.

IN leagues i commish i remove the veto, but cant act like its not a big part of league disagreements/commish headaches/rules

Just keep us posted if Draft/Keep/Trade adds "Veto" in there and ill gladly follow accordingly and even help police it with ya and keep the traffic way down in this section (should drop it a huge chunk)

Lord knows I see plenty of classifieds in here as well that I try to report ;-D

Vetos are not a league rules issue, they are a judgment call about a trade. I agree that the syntax of the DTKW description could be updated to address this a bit more clearly, but you are asking for a rating or decision about a trade with a "Is this trade fair" or "Vetoable" question. Whether it's vetoable or not is inconsequential, it is still a trade situation. And honestly, ANY question will get more traffic in DTKW, which is exactly what people are looking for usually, so this might actually force less trolling for answers by chipping in 3-word answers with a link appended to them ...

The only time vetos are really an issue for the commish corner would be if there was a rules problem associated, whether it be something like unclear language in your league constitution leading to a debate over how many votes are needed to overturn a trade or league rules initiative or something like that. Maybe something like you forgot to turn off the "Can't cut list" and someone wants to drop an injured superstar in part of a trade but he's still on the list, then the league vetoed the trade in on the league boards after it's acceptance by both sides but before its processing. How do you handle this situation? Commish Corner!
2012 H2HWS West A champion
WaCougMBS
Radio Pimp
Radio Pimp

Radio PimpEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafecasterFootball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:37 pm

bigmck wrote:This forum has been polluted with posts that all have "Veto" in the title.

Are we just going to act like 75% of these posts haven't been by the same person?
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 48)

Return to Commissioner's Corner